Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Lever Espresso Machines
1980 La Pavoni problem
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Lever Espresso > 1980 La Pavoni...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
fifthmonkee

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Wed Apr 24, 2013, 11:46am
Subject: 1980 La Pavoni problem

I have a 1980 La Pavoni Europiccola, which shorted out about a year ago. Prior to that I got many years good use from it (my Dad bought it in Italy, but it sat dormant for maybe 20 years before I got my hands on it).

The machine has a rusted base which probably needs replacing and a frayed chord but otherwise was working fine.

I consulted one repair shop who said they didn't work on La Pavoni's that old because they are likely to have other problems and not be worth it for the consumer. Another shop said, sure we'll fix it, estimating about $200 in repairs.

Do you think I ought to try and get this thing fixed? (I'm not a handy guy and don't want to try and fix it myself).

fifthmonkee: download.jpg
(Click for larger image)
 View Profile Link to this post
stefano65
stefano65
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme,Elektra,
Grinder: Vario,Macap,
Vac Pot: not
Drip: not
Roaster: not
Posted Thu Apr 25, 2013, 6:45am
Subject: Re: 1980 La Pavoni problem

I normally don't get involved in pricing etc etc

As an authorized repair company myself

I can tell you that if really this mention company(whom ever they are)
can FIX IT for $200 in this condition
go for it
but make sure you ask what they will do for that price
sounds to good to be true..................

Stefano Cremonesi
info@espressocare.com
www.espressocare.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
fifthmonkee

Posted Thu Apr 25, 2013, 6:56am

I consulted a third company and they estimated around $300 if it turns out the heating element has to be repaired. But then they said it would be as good as new. I guess I figure even at $300 it would be worth it to have the machine up and working, considering it sells new for almost $800.
SStones
SStones
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Giga 5, ECM Giotto, Rocket...
Grinder: Anfim Milano-Best
Vac Pot: No  :(
Drip: Some $30 thing from Walmart
Roaster: I buy pre-roasted.
Posted Sun Apr 28, 2013, 1:14pm

If they're sure it is going to be as good as new, then it will have a new or flawless used base, new seals throughout and a new element. If they're promising that for $300, jump at the opportunity and thank them heartily.
fifthmonkee

Posted Wed Jun 5, 2013, 1:46pm

Well, just got my machine back from Home Espresso Repair in Seattle. The whole thing, shipping included back and forth, was less than $300, though there was no need to replace the heating element. They did, however, replace all the gaskets and decalcify and otherwise tuned up in addition to replacing the base and electrical chord. Am very happy so far.

fifthmonkee: LaPavoniRestored.jpg
(Click for larger image)
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Lever Espresso > 1980 La Pavoni...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.195340871811)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+