Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Lever Espresso Machines
Help! Problem with Elektra MCAL
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Lever Espresso > Help! Problem...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
nile13

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Tue Feb 5, 2013, 9:36am
Subject: Help! Problem with Elektra MCAL

OK, so I tried to use my 1983 Elektra for the first time today. The seller told me that seals were changed recently by a professional shop in NYC and that machine has worked very well for them.

Issues:

1. When machine started warming up water was dripping significantly from the bottom of the grouphead and from the seal between grouphead and boiler. The dripping subsided somewhat, but it kept dripping.

2. After 3-4 minutes the pressure started rising from 0 and continued to go up until it pegged out beyond 3 bars. At this point I got scared and turned the machine off.

3. Pressure dropped in about a minute. I turned teh machine back on and bled the rest of the pressure slowly through steam wand until it showed 0.

4. Turned steam wand off. The pressure rose within a couple of minutes or less to 2+ Bar and kept rising.

At this point I've turned the machine off in sheer terror. I have a nasty feeling that pstat might be stuck and this thing can simply blow up. What am I missing here? I'm beginning to think that as much as I like this machine it might not be for me. Help the newbie, please!
 View Profile Link to this post
SStones
SStones
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Giga 5, ECM Giotto, Rocket...
Grinder: Anfim Milano-Best
Vac Pot: No  :(
Drip: Some $30 thing from Walmart
Roaster: I buy pre-roasted.
Posted Tue Feb 5, 2013, 7:45pm
Subject: Re: Help! Problem with Elektra MCAL

Start by adjusting the pressostat to see if you can get it to regulate a reasonable boiler pressure. Worry about the leakage at the brewhead after the pressure issue isn't frightening.  If the boiler pressure is rising even after the pressostat is off, then the heating element is cracked, shorting to boilerground through your water and the element needs to be replaced.
nile13

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Tue Feb 5, 2013, 9:30pm

How would I go about regulating the pressurestat and how would I know when it's off?
jroach

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Elektra Micro Casa,...
Grinder: La Cimbali 6S, Baratza...
Drip: EVA Solo, Moka, Press Pot,...
Posted Wed Feb 6, 2013, 7:53pm

The red light on the side of the base should be on when the heating element is on, when the pressurestat trips it will shut off the element and light.  When the pressure drops enough the element will come back on.  

Think of the pressurestat as a little plunger that goes up as the pressure builds and back down as it decreases.  Put a little microswitch in front of the plunger so when the pressure gets high enough it trips the switch.  

I would recommend looking at the exploded drawings on Stefano's espresso care website so you can look at it and easily find it in the base.  The adjustment should be self-evident.  Extending the plunger will cause the p-stat to trip sooner (at a lower pressure).  I think the recommend pressure is 1 bar but check to make sure.  I know it's posted somewhere.

As for it leaking,  you might get away with greasing them up (NSF rated) but my gut says the seals are going to need to be replaced.  They shouldn't leak at all but especially at low pressure.  If they replaced the seals and didn't work the piston and seals into the grouphead (i.e. if they just pushed it in) they might have cut the lip of the seal.  There are two seals, a lower W and an upper V.  They run about $10 each.  Between the boiler and the grouphead is technically a gasket.  I don't know what they run but it shouldn't be much.  

Good Luck
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Lever Espresso > Help! Problem...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.169595003128)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+