Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Lever Espresso Machines
Silvia To Lever Machine?
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Lever Espresso > Silvia To Lever...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
BLrdFX
BLrdFX
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: L-I
Grinder: HG-One, Kony-E, VL, Lido2
Drip: Chemex
Roaster: Quest
Posted Tue Jan 15, 2013, 7:59am
Subject: Re: Silvia To Lever Machine?

Now that is funny!  But very true.

When I first heard that song many decades ago I never dreamed that it could be related to an espresso machine!

"Don't let your friends say
You have no taste,
Go to the lever anyway,
Though her face is ugly,
Her eyes don't match,
Take it from me she's a better catch."

Pure genius...

I have both pump and lever machines and since getting a commercial group lever machine I am selling a rather pricey pump machine.
 View Profile Link to this post
bcrdukes

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia V3 w/ Auber...
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Drip: Hario V60
Posted Thu Jan 17, 2013, 3:58pm

Man, you guys sure know how to twist my arm!

Prof,

I sent you an e-mail.  Hope to hear from you soon.  Thanks!

Mike
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
CoffeeLoversMag
CoffeeLoversMag

Posted Mon Jan 28, 2013, 4:43am

What I have tried is the Stradivari Professional from La Pavoni Espresso Machine Company. This is absolutely the best home espresso machine with modish and trendy looks. With a lot of practice, I can already come up with a great espresso in ease and comfort. This machine provides the right level of control upon using with no pump needed.

Did you know...? Dark roast coffees actually have less caffeine than lighter roasts due to the fact that the process of roasting burns off caffeine.
www.coffeeloversmag.com/theMagazine
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Mon Jan 28, 2013, 8:43am

CoffeeLoversMag Said:

This is absolutely the best home espresso machine . . .

Posted January 28, 2013 link

Uh, Joseph?  If I might ask:  what criteria are you using to say that the Pavoni Stradivari is "absolutely the best"?  How has it stacked up, in your experience, against machines like the Bezzera Strega, or the Izzo Pompei; the BOSCO Sorrento, or the near-legenday Olympia Express Cremina the Elektra Micracasa a Leva, or even the Pavoni Europicola?

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
monkeyboy1971

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Bosco lever
Grinder: Eureka mythos
Posted Tue Jan 29, 2013, 7:09am

Lever Lever Lever, that is the certainly the way to go, having been a convert for a while now and experiencing many different machines, from gaggia to silvia and up to two group la cimbalis, I can honestly say that the only time I felt connected to the process was when I was pulling the shot on a lever. I concur with many comments on here, Having now bitten the bullet and invested proper money on a BOSCO I now get the true espresso experience EVERYTIME I step up to my machine.

The la pavoni, is pretty much entry level lever technology, which it is imperitive to have a grinder to grind the beans fine enough, it takes same time to perfect but once mastered can produce a lovely shot of coffee. Moving up from the Pavoni is the Ponte Vecchio Lusso, My lusso produced great shots, if sometimes a little inconsistent and has a fabulous steam wand that will steam all day the boiler is three litres so no need to refil during the day based on the shots that you are going to pull. If you have the money the jump up to a commercial sprung group is worth the money, It is worthwhile giving Reiss at LONDINIUM a call (I bought my bosco from him) he is sooooooooo helpful and has really developed a top notchmachine in the L1, it basically has the same group as the BOSCO but much smaller footprint and the option to be tank fed, I have seen it in the flesh and it is Pretty. It is both stable (temperature wise) at the group, is relatively simple to use and produce fabulous steam to boot.

Take the plunge and get truely connected to your coffee, Levers WHAT IS THERE NOT TO LOVE!!!!!!!
docdvm

Espresso: Giotto, Cremina
Grinder: Baratza Vario, Versalab
Drip: Bunn VP-17
Roaster: HotTop
Posted Tue Jan 29, 2013, 4:24pm

There are too many options aren't there. Everyone has the machine for their own tastes and dreams of another. In my case I also started out with a Sylvia. and Rocky. Never really mastered the temp surfing think. Upgraded to a Giotto, which I still have. With a E61 temperature gauge it became a bit less of an art. Still it is complex with a pump, control box and  electronics that do need repair from time to time. Heat and water are not kind to electronics. So I then bought a used Cremina built in 1976. Heard about the learning curve with a lever machine but I can tell you that I never had as good a cup as with the Cremina. And consistently! I do have a naked portafilter yet find the pour so much easier than a pump machine. You are in full control. I have never had a sour or bitter espresso since. Only issue is that as a steamer it does not have the capacity of the Giotto. I have a much easier time getting good microfoam with the Giotto. Of course I usually just prepare 2 or maybe 3 drinks at a time and cannot imagine serving a group with the Cremina. I don't think it was made for that. More of a personal Espresso masterpiece.

In addition it is small , easily fits on the counter and my wife doesn't mind it in the kitchen. The Giotto is in the basement since it takes up too much counter space.

Would I like a GS/3? Of course , who wouldn't? Would I get better shots? I don't believe so.
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Lever Espresso > Silvia To Lever...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.230308055878)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+