Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Lever Espresso Machines
Olympia Cremina (2002) Availability?
Italian Coffee
Italian coffee beans, grinds and pods from Kimbo, LavAzza, Miscela d'Oro & Bristot. Qty. discounts!
www.espressozone.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Lever Espresso > Olympia Cremina...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
Cdnpaul

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Thu Dec 27, 2012, 7:19pm
Subject: Olympia Cremina (2002) Availability?

The new models are out of my price range so I was wondering if these ever come up for sale used and, if so, how much do they sell for? I've been searching and have found a fair amount of 67's that have been for sale or sold but none of the 2002.
 View Profile Link to this post
cwise73

Espresso: 1990 Olympia Cremina 67,...
Grinder: Macap M4, Hario Skerton
Vac Pot: Yama
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Tue Jan 1, 2013, 7:59pm
Subject: Re: Olympia Cremina (2002) Availability?

It has been awhile since I have seen one come up on the used market, but I have seen them go for between $1700 and $2300. There was one about a year ago on ebay that the owner did not know what they had and sold it for a buy it now of a little over a grand. Whoever got that machine got quite the deal.
I have a 2002 and I think that it is a great machine. It beats the socks off of the 67s that I owned in the past as far as consistency, capacity, and serviceability. I really like the bolt pins on the lever yolk, and the pistonhead that is held on by a screw. Because of these things, it takes about 15 minutes to fully lube the group head. The one thing that I do not like about the machine is stock pressurestat. Maybe mine has gone bad with age, but it seems like the deadband is about .3 bars. Should be easy and cheap to replace with the pressurestat from the current Cremina, but i keep putting it off with the idea of working out some PID system as a replacement. Also a thing to note is that the 2002s have gotten a bad rap for the "high tech" seals that were used in the grouphead. The were designed to last a very long time, but the shaft seal is prone to early failure. These are no longer made, but Orphan Espresso has a set of replacement seals that are made out of a more traditional material. The Orphan shaft seal is a little bit of a bear to install, but works perfectly.
The 2002s are a large step up in craftmanship from the 67s and if you are buying a machine that you plan on living with for quite a while, then it will be worth the search to track one down.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
BoldJava
BoldJava

Espresso: '82 Oly Cremina 67
Grinder: Macap MC4 Doserless Stepped
Vac Pot: Yamas
Drip: Hario, Beehouse, Cilio, Kone...
Roaster: RK Drum and Gene
Posted Tue Jan 1, 2013, 8:21pm

Cdnpaul Said:

The new models are out of my price range so I was wondering if these ever come up for sale used and, if so, how much do they sell for? I've been searching and have found a fair amount of 67's that have been for sale or sold but none of the 2002.

Posted December 27, 2012 link

I track them on eBay.  I have seen two in the last 18 months.

"On the trail for the goats' grail..."

Dave Borton
St Paul, MN
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Cdnpaul

Posted Tue Jan 1, 2013, 8:32pm

Thank you both for the info. At least they do come up for sale so I'll just have to watch and wait.
SwingT

Expertise: I like coffee
Posted Sat Apr 27, 2013, 9:17am

I picked up a used one from buy/sell here at Coffeegeek. They don't come up often. Realistically, there were not many machines sold in the US during the whole ten year period, so there is not a large pool for them to come up from.

cwise73 Said:

I have a 2002 and I think that it is a great machine. It beats the socks off of the 67s that I owned in the past as far as consistency, capacity, and serviceability.

Posted January 1, 2013 link

I sent my 2003 machine group head back to the factory a year or two ago and had it updated to current production.

I also have a 1987 year Cremina.

The 2002? and up model is slicker, prettier, smoother and will pull more shots due to the larger tank, and has slightly different geometry in the lever, a larger group head that doesn't tend to overheat.

People that come over are more impressed with the visual aspect, and it really is a smoother lever pull.

Having said that - I consistently prefer the pulls I get from the older machine to the newer one. Only a very slight difference, but one I can usually notice. Using the same grinder, penney bottomless brass portafilter.

I've played around a bit attempting to determine the difference, and believe I now have the pressurestats set about the same - I am using same technique -

Now I'm down to the only differences being the slight different geometry of the lever/pins/aspect, and the slight differences in dispersion screens.

Nobody should feel they are getting the short end of the stick if they are using an older Cremina.

Main differences in actual usage -

Old model - heats up quicker due to smaller copper tank

Old model has less capacity - will pull about 5 double cappa's, and you have to add water, and let it cool down enough to add water.

Old model may overheat the grouphead if left on too long, or pull too close together - Simple solution, wet the end of a cotton towel - wipe down where grouphead contacts tank, wipe around the grouphead with same - takes longer to type it than to do it.

Bottom line, if you don't have one of the older models, go ahead and pick one up while you are waiting on one of the later models. You'll probably be quite happy with it and not be too concerned about getting a later model
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Lever Espresso > Olympia Cremina...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.215198040009)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+