Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Lever Espresso Machines
Londinium
Quick Mill Andreja
Best bang for the buck in E-61 Espresso Machines.  In stock, free shipping, 2 yr warranty!
cupandbrew.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Lever Espresso > Londinium  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 14 of 15 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Fri Apr 26, 2013, 8:24pm
Subject: Re: Londinium

I think the L-1 is great for the price.  I am not considering anything else. Now to win the lotto so I can get it.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
BLrdFX
BLrdFX
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: L-I
Grinder: HG-One, Kony-E, VL, Lido2
Drip: Chemex
Roaster: Quest
Posted Sat May 25, 2013, 6:42am

CMIN Said:

When I think about upgrading this is the only machine that has my attention, nothing wrong with others like the Duetto or R58 etc, but for the $$ the L-1 is just a beast for what it offers.

Posted April 1, 2013 link

I had an R58......  Get the L-I, much better in cup taste and the drip tray situation is far superior on the L-I.  Less to go wrong with one boiler as opposed to 2 boilers in the R58.

I went from a Rancilio Silvia, to an R-58, dumped the R58 in favor of a LaMarzocco GS/3 and at the same time bought an L-I.  Settled on the L-I and sold the GS/3.  Long story but the end result is less fuss, better brew and no noise!

L-I works well and if you have the ability to plumb it in AND have 220v then the L-I would be up close to the Bosco 1 Group in a smaller package.
 View Profile Link to this post
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Sat May 25, 2013, 7:56am

I agree, the L-1 has less stuff to go wrong and very little that needs replacing due to wear.  The taste in the cup for the price can't be beat so far.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
CMIN

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Sat May 25, 2013, 8:02am

Whats up with that thread on HB though talking about the L-1 being unstable, (temps, consistency etc). Tried reading through it but was confusing as heck trying to decipher what their talking about lol.
BLrdFX
BLrdFX

Posted Sat May 25, 2013, 8:21am

CMIN Said:

Whats up with that thread on HB though talking about the L-1 being unstable, (temps, consistency etc). Tried reading through it but was confusing as heck trying to decipher what their talking about lol.

Posted May 25, 2013 link

There are a few guys who really like to rip things apart to try to get something to fail to finds it's weak points.

For me it is all about taste in the cup.  If it tastes fine then don't mess with it, that's my motto :-)  Can I get the machine to stop producing shots, sure I can, but I have to work at it!  If I use the machine for my home and produce drinks at a normal pace then all is fine, but if I were to try and compete with commercial machines then I would need more power.  If I was looking for absolute temperature control (forget the taste) then I would have kept the GS/3 and watched the PID keeping the temps all very stable.

It took a lot of fiddling around with pressures and temperatures to get the LaMarzocco GS/3 to produce a great shot, and yes, it could indeed produce a great shot once dialed in, but it needed mods to make it really shine.  The fellow I sold it to put the Strada Group mods on it and it is a fantastic machine, I just did not want to fiddle around with it.  I also thought I could better use the $$$ to take my coffee adventure further with a roaster and a new lathe for making coffee accessories.  I have done both with the sale the the GS/3.

The L-I is a nice machine, and with the 220v option and the plumb in option it would compete with the Bosco commercial 1 Group machine IMHO, just a smaller foot print on the counter and shorter in profile.

Try a true Spring Lever machine without pumps, like a Bosco or a Victoria Arduino, and think about that flavor they produce.  Also pay attention to the grinders used in conjunction with those machines.  Are they using a Mazzer, or whatever manufacturer, Flat Burr or a Conical?

It is all about the taste, unless of course you just want black and strong and flavor is not a consideration.

When I had a Rancilio Silvia and upgraded my Rocky grinder to a Versalab I was amazed at the difference, and all I did was change grinders.  Since then I have spent more on grinders than espresso machines and the flavors are very noticeable.
redpig

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Cellini Evoluzione v1
Grinder: DRM Conico Diretto 68
Posted Sun May 26, 2013, 12:52pm

BLrdFX Said:

There are a few guys who really like to rip things apart to try to get something to fail to finds it's weak points.

Posted May 25, 2013 link

And I thank them for it -- now it's even more likely to be mano than macchina when I pull a bad shot :)

CMIN Said:

Posted May 25, 2013 link

tl;dr, Community contributions have resulted in the addition of a part (check valve) to the L1 that makes the thermal stability is even better, and it was already pretty good!  No extra machine magic or fiddling per-shot needed.

~~
Here's my recap/understanding: Andy Schecter indicated he was able to get shots that compared favorably to his tweaked Speedster, but it seemed less consistent than he expected/hoped. He found that the system for maintaining the group temperature (thermosyphon, or TS) was sometimes "stalling" which led to group temperature drops and poor extractions ("cold").  This was confirmed with temperature monitoring. Eric Svendsen reproduced the findings.  Some members of HB were able to induce similar failures by explicitly introducing air into the TS and then showed that they could do extensive "bleeding" of the TS to return their system to normalcy.

Andy and Eric kept at it with some background (undocumented/lightly mentioned) communication with Reiss.  The result was the addition of a check valve to one of the TS tubes.  The check valve avoids backflow of air into the system which avoids the TS stall.  Eric and Andy seemed to have confirmed that the addition of the check valve removed the variability from their setup. Eric posted some very nice looking graphs showing really nice thermal performance.
~~

I'm excited because the L1 really upped my espresso quality and consistency with less work/fiddling from me than I was putting in before.  It seems like once I get a check valve, it will be even more consistent which is pretty exciting given how great it's been so far!

Coffeenoobie Said:

I agree, the L-1 has less stuff to go wrong and very little that needs replacing due to wear.  The taste in the cup for the price can't be beat so far.

Posted May 25, 2013 link

Couldn't agree more.
BLrdFX
BLrdFX

Posted Sun May 26, 2013, 2:16pm

Well said Redpig!  The tinkerers forced a slight design change and a good machine got better!

The La Marzocco GS/3 went through changes along the way during it's production and it still is a good pump machine.

So tinkerers work on and maybe some more tweaks will come :-)
qualin
qualin

Espresso: Izzo Alex Duetto 3
Grinder: Mazzer Mini Elect. Type A
Vac Pot: Looking to buy
Drip: Manual
Roaster: Considering?
Posted Sat Jun 29, 2013, 11:05pm

So, in all of your practical experiences, how much do these machines typically cost when imported into the USA? As a Canadian,
would I have to expect that much of a change in price?

I'm wondering two things about this machine:

Going from an Izzo Alex Duetto to this machine, would it be considered to be an upgrade? Or would it be more like just buying
something different?

Second, is there that really annoying "Click-Clunk" of the pressurestat cycling on and off when the machine is idling?

Thanks.

Garbage In, Garbage Out, for every step of the process. From Beans to grinder, grounds to machine, coffee to cup.
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
BLrdFX
BLrdFX

Posted Sun Jun 30, 2013, 5:35am

qualin Said:

So, in all of your practical experiences, how much do these machines typically cost when imported into the USA? As a Canadian,
would I have to expect that much of a change in price?

I'm wondering two things about this machine:

Going from an Izzo Alex Duetto to this machine, would it be considered to be an upgrade? Or would it be more like just buying
something different?

Second, is there that really annoying "Click-Clunk" of the pressurestat cycling on and off when the machine is idling?

Thanks.

Posted June 29, 2013 link

The import taxes are the unknown from my experience.  I paid $79 US to the government/DHL Freight for the Taxes.

I am guessing that the Izzo is a nice double boiler pump machine and in some ways, like tea water and unlimited steam it might be better than the L-I, BUT the taste in the cup is what sold me on the L-I.  I was willing to give up the Tea Water for great tasting espresso, so I sold my GS/3.  Yes, it is a different machine from the Izzo and if you want to just flip a switch and pump large volumes of brew into a cup then maybe a pump machine is the way to go.  I would suggest going to a cafe' or someone's home (preferably an amenable HB contributor) that has a good plumbed in Spring Lever Machine that does not require a pump, like a Bosco, and then listen to the sounds, or lack there of, and taste the brew.  If you could see, feel, listen and taste the product that sure would help your decision; I got to try a Bosco 3 Group at a Cafe' where they let me prep the shot and pull the lever.  I was hooked :-]

The only clunking noise I get is when the boiler is filling and the home water supply (Mains) is being controlled by the solenoid.  The P-STAT is very quiet although you can hear a slight clunk when the boiler gets up to pressure.  The boiler elements, while heating the water, make more noise.  My hand crank grinders make way more noise.
juker

Espresso: Londinium
Grinder: HG-One
Roaster: Hot-Top P
Posted Sun Jun 30, 2013, 3:07pm

As a Canadian you would expect to pay $350-$400 (basically 13% HST plus $10 DHL brokerage) depends on the price and exchange rate.
I went from Brewtus III to Londinium and all I can say: better espresso (to me) and more consistency with less effort.
"Click-Clank" P-stat sound is present, but "annoying" is very individual thing. For me a ticking sound of my wall clock is annoying, everyone else in the household has no problems with that.
showing page 14 of 15 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Lever Espresso > Londinium  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.321536064148)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+