Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Lever Espresso Machines
Londinium
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Lever Espresso > Londinium  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 9 of 15 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
BLrdFX
BLrdFX
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: L-I
Grinder: HG-1E mod, VL/terranova,...
Drip: Chemex
Roaster: Quest
Posted Wed Dec 19, 2012, 11:37am
Subject: Re: Londinium

ShooterMcGavin Said:

Absolutely jealous!!
Curious... were you hit with a customs fee?  

Congrats on the new machine!

Posted December 19, 2012 link

Not for the stuff so far!  Stay tuned for an update soon as the L-I is in Cincinnati, or was this morning @ 0248hrs and is still there now, according to DHL, @2046hrs.  UPDATE: Still sitting in Cincinnati for a "Clearance Delay".  Weather?  Destroyed the shipping box?  Looks like I need to call DHL :-(

In the meantime this showed up from Reg Barber with the proper diameter.

BLrdFX: PC190017.jpg
(Click for larger image)
 View Profile Link to this post
BLrdFX
BLrdFX

Posted Thu Dec 27, 2012, 4:03am

ShooterMcGavin Said:

Absolutely jealous!!
Curious... were you hit with a customs fee?  

Congrats on the new machine!

Posted December 19, 2012 link

UPDATE:

No Customs Fees on any of the 3 boxes I have received from Londinium, including the big one, the L-I.  In spite of the strange way of notification without giving you a projected arrival date DHL did come through.

The machine performs as advertised.  I ordered the tank model with the intent of testing the tank system and then immediately switch over to silent running with the direct plumb kit.  Tank testing done and I can say that the vibe pump is no louder than the rotary pump on my LM GS/3, just a different sound.  I am currently waiting for the brass adapters to arrive so I can hook it up to the home water line.  They should arrive by this weekend.

The shots were good right from the start.  It took 3 tries with the grinder to find the sweet spot; oddly it was a more course grind than my LM GS/3!!!  But not by much and I have done the testing so far with the Versalab grinder.  Next week I start in with the Mazzer Kony once I settle in on a S.O. or a Blend of beans.  I have tried 5 different bean and blends.

The heat up time is less than my GS/3, considerably.  

The steam power is tremendous and steaming a larger pitcher is no problem at all and it happens FAST!  Just like my GS/3.  I suspect that unless you really knew what you were doing the 2 hole tip might be best for a small foaming pitcher.  The L-I does not have the steam power to steam large quantities for groups of people without taking a break, but for the time it takes to clean the portafilter, weigh a new dose, grind that dose and tamp it the boiler has recovered.  The GS/3 has steaming power like crazy since it has a steam boiler as well as a brew boiler, it also is 3 times the money...

The water wand is a real blaster and takes a fine touch to get water without causing something that you might find in Yosemite.  The GS/3 has it really beat in that department, but the L-I works if you are careful.

Pulling the lever is a breeze.  After trying the Bosco Lever in Seattle I would say it is similar, and maybe a bit easier, but I could just be getting used to it.  I used the bathroom scale method of trying to figure out how much effort it took and found 24 pounds to be an average number.  Certainly more effort than throwing a switch but much more rewarding :)

The 58.3 tamper is nice since it saves a bit of time in the NSEW business but the standard 58 Flat that I had on hand works too, just slower.

The baskets that come with the machine are fine, and in fact the puck almost falls out.  I usually just shake it above the knockbox and out it comes no hitting something required.  I have tried the VST baskets and they work but for some reason they want to "Sneeze" so I suspect they retain a bit more pressure and require a longer wait in the group?!?

I can hardly wait for the brass water line adapters to show up at my door....  Then a video of the procedure will be generated.

BLrdFX: IMG_0003.jpg
(Click for larger image)
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Thu Dec 27, 2012, 12:42pm

Sooo very green with envy.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
BLrdFX
BLrdFX

Posted Thu Dec 27, 2012, 5:06pm

Coffeenoobie Said:

Sooo very green with envy.

Posted December 27, 2012 link

I had to liquidate 2 hobbies for this one so it is a wash financially, with the exception I did not consume my wife's kitchen counters with the old hobbies :)
IMAWriter
IMAWriter
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600+, CO/UFO combo
Posted Thu Dec 27, 2012, 6:34pm

BLrdFX Said:

I had to liquidate 2 hobbies for this one so it is a wash financially, with the exception I did not consume my wife's kitchen counters with the old hobbies :)

Posted December 27, 2012 link

:>D

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
BLrdFX
BLrdFX

Posted Fri Dec 28, 2012, 9:26pm

Well, the brass water line fittings arrived and now I have Silent Running!  Wow, what a great thing, it is truly a lever machine now.  

It took some doing to get the correct fittings and now it works, although I am still not happy because the hose that came with the machine has a metal elbow fitting on the end that is for running the machine plumbed but with the pump installed for low water pressure situations.  I did not need that so I am going to modify the setup to eliminate that hose and put an American 3/8 compression supply hose on it.

In case nobody knows of this place, it is a good source for such fittings.  http://www.espressoparts.com/variousfittings
IMAWriter
IMAWriter
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600+, CO/UFO combo
Posted Fri Dec 28, 2012, 9:37pm

BLrdFX Said:

It took some doing to get the correct fittings and now it works, although I am still not happy because the hose that came with the machine has a metal elbow fitting on the end that is for running the machine plumbed but with the pump installed for low water pressure situations.  I did not need that so I am going to modify the setup to eliminate that hose and put an American 3/8 compression supply hose on it.

In case nobody knows of this place, it is a good source for such fittings

Posted December 28, 2012 link

click here

Wanted to give you a working link!

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
BLrdFX
BLrdFX

Posted Sat Dec 29, 2012, 4:59am

Thanks Rob!

Happy New Year.

Stephen
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Tue Jan 8, 2013, 9:18am

How is the new machine working so far?

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
BLrdFX
BLrdFX

Posted Tue Jan 8, 2013, 6:25pm

Coffeenoobie Said:

How is the new machine working so far?

Posted January 8, 2013 link

I like it very much.  The sounds of silence and simplicity of the machine made it worth the wait.

The stock baskets work just fine.  I have tried several VST baskets and found no difference.

The vibe pump that comes with the pump version is about as noisy as my GS/3's rotary pump!  Just a different tone.

I disconnected the vibe pump and removed it from the case/machine and plumbed it into my home filtration system.  That system is an Everpure EOS7.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEdhh4xEd5E

Not a great video but you get the idea.  I probably should have had the music turned off so the sound of silence could be heard, except the grinder.
showing page 9 of 15 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Lever Espresso > Londinium  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.349766969681)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+