Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Lever Espresso Machines
Londinium
Gourmet Organic Coffee
Temblor is a smooth high-grown Guatemalan coffee that presents notes of spice and chocolate.
thelostgringo.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Lever Espresso > Londinium  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 4 of 15 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
BLrdFX
BLrdFX
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: L-I
Grinder: HG-One, Kony-E, VL, Lido2
Drip: Chemex
Roaster: Quest
Posted Mon Nov 12, 2012, 2:48pm
Subject: Re: Londinium

redpig Said:

I'll definitely try it though my home scale is notoriously bad.  I've been looking forward to trying it!  I'm very curious to know how the 2-spring versus 1-spring power pans out, both from compression effort and from resulting pressure and taste.  

I also don't know if the L1 uses the same spring as the traditional 1 spring bosco setup or something different.
Making bold and naive assumptions, put me down at a guess around ~21 lbs of force.

The thing I've noticed is that in Reiss's videos of the L1, he doesn't use two hands while most videos of the Achille ones show two hands.

cheers!
will

Posted November 12, 2012 link

Will: I too noticed the one hand method compared to the two hand method and was pondering if one person works out a lot and the other one pushed pencils for a living(no offense to pencil pushers out there).  When I was logging for a living and building custom homes my muscle mass was much better than when I changed over to CAD architectural engineering; muscles went faster than free gold in a garage sale!

GVDub:  The luggage scale idea sounds reasonable!

Stephen
 View Profile Link to this post
BLrdFX
BLrdFX

Posted Thu Nov 15, 2012, 7:37pm

As an update to how much strength it takes to pull the lever.  I got to try a Bosco machine today(same group as the L-I) and it was definitely height dependent as to how easy it felt.  At the tall recommended counter height it was pretty easy and at the standard kitchen counter height, where is felt more like doing a curl, it was a bit more difficult yet still comfortable.  After pulling a shot I tried to measure the same resistance on a hanging scale and it felt like 20lb, maybe a bit more like 25.  Seemed fine to me, and I am an old out of shape guy that is 5'6" tall.

Stephen
redpig

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Cellini Evoluzione v1
Grinder: DRM Conico Diretto 68
Posted Thu Nov 15, 2012, 7:53pm

Stephen, Thanks for the info!  I'm envious that you got to try a Bosco today!  Were the results worth the ~20lbs of pulling? :)
BLrdFX
BLrdFX

Posted Fri Nov 16, 2012, 4:45am

redpig Said:

Stephen, Thanks for the info!  I'm envious that you got to try a Bosco today!  Were the results worth the ~20lbs of pulling? :)

Posted November 15, 2012 link

Yes they were, and even worth the drive into Seattle which I find really a hassle; to many people in to small a space...

What sort of amazed me was that the 3 Group (single spring) Bosco 's front panel flexed as I lever was pulled.  It had 1 boiler for all 3 Groups so everything as tied together that way but I did not understand why the flex.  The L-I has zero flex and I find that more reassuring.

I have an air rifle (pellet gun) that requires more force to cock than the lever of the Bosco.

Cheers!
Stephen
rgunson
rgunson
Expertise: Professional

Posted Fri Nov 16, 2012, 5:16pm

i'm 'ere to answer any questions you may have.  reiss.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
BLrdFX
BLrdFX

Posted Fri Nov 16, 2012, 5:22pm

rgunson Said:

i'm 'ere to answer any questions you may have.  reiss.

Posted November 16, 2012 link

Reiss:

I really appreciate the questions that you have already answered.

One thing comes to mind is have you generated an Owners Manual yet?  Reading it might answer many questions that could arise.

Stephen
rgunson
rgunson
Expertise: Professional

Posted Fri Nov 16, 2012, 5:29pm

yes, i sure have.  do i want to put that on the web?  let me think about that

perhaps after the first owners have received their machines and their copy of the manual - they might be a bit upset that something they have paid for is released to the net before they have even seen it

the central theme repeated throughout is to keep your head to the left (right handers) or right of the lever (left handers) or run the risk of losing a few teeth & a broken nose
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
BLrdFX
BLrdFX

Posted Fri Nov 16, 2012, 5:41pm

rgunson Said:

the central theme repeated throughout is to keep your head to the left (right handers) or right of the lever (left handers) or run the risk of losing a few teeth & a broken nose

Posted November 16, 2012 link

Like the spring powered air rifle NEVER PULL THE TRIGGER WITHOUT PUTTING THE BARREL BACK INTO BATTERY"!!!!!  Very bad things can happen to anything in the way.
BLrdFX
BLrdFX

Posted Sun Nov 18, 2012, 4:53pm

Redpig:

Measuring the scace pressure results sound pretty interesting.  6.55 Bars on the Bosco compared to the claimed 11 Bar for the QM machine.  Any chance you can get that Scace to test the Londinium when your L-I arrives????

Cheers!

Stephen
redpig

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Cellini Evoluzione v1
Grinder: DRM Conico Diretto 68
Posted Sun Nov 18, 2012, 7:05pm

BLrdFX Said:

Any chance you can get that Scace to test the Londinium when your L-1 arrives????

Posted November 18, 2012 link

I don't know of anyone with one nearby (but there could be, I'll look into it).  Otherwise, it wouldn't be worth the cost for me since I'm unlikely to use it often :)  An easier approach might just be this:

Reiss, if you're still reading this thread :),  is the L1 using the Bosco spring or one with another force profile?

Thanks! (Can't wait to find out if/when they ship tomorrow!!)
showing page 4 of 15 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Lever Espresso > Londinium  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.310810089111)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+