Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Lever Espresso Machines
La Pavoni maintenance help
Green Unroasted Coffee
Free shipping. Save 15% on variety pack, use 'variety' at checkout
www.madbeanscoffee

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Lever Espresso > La Pavoni...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
Trapani

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Mon May 28, 2012, 6:55pm
Subject: La Pavoni maintenance help

Can anyone suggest advice on overhauling/cleaning a La Pavoni Carina Grande? I just took it out of long term storage, and it was dirty and had water in it (in other words it spent years in that condition). Can I just run steam through it, or do I need to do a major overhaul?
Thanks for any tips...
 View Profile Link to this post
cmcconomy

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Sun Jun 3, 2012, 7:26am
Subject: Re: La Pavoni maintenance help

you'll definitely want to descale the boiler.
The cheapest way to do that is to hit up a bulk store and buy some Citric Acid crystals, then mix maybe a tablespoon into some water and feed that into your boiler. get the boiler hot then cut the power and let it sit for 20 minutes or more, then empty it and run lots of clean water through the boiler.

Once you think its completely clean, pull a "shot" of water and taste it to see if it tastes clean.
madduck

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: la pavoni europiccola
Grinder: rocky
Roaster: purchased: cartel coffee of...
Posted Fri Jun 29, 2012, 11:01am

in my breville elec hot water kettle i get scaling off with a mix of white vinegar and water. don't know if that would be in our coffee makers, any opinions on this?

la pavoni europicolla, rocky and preciso grinder, french press, aero press
agshep

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Mon Aug 20, 2012, 1:31am

The wife having issued an ultimatum to stop using the Mepra stove-top machine, it was certainly time to get on with the job.
My tips:
  1. take photos of the parts as they come off so you can remind yourself of what it might look like as it's reassembled.
  2. Find someone with small hands to reach up into the boiler.
  3. Have something to make washers from if they don't come in the kit.
  4. Use the descaler before you start.

We took the beast to pieces and tried valiantly to clean the base of the boiler. Unfortunately, the seal had become so fossilised that it would have been good to have had a Dremel tool or similar.

The sight-glass was the trickiest part to remove and came out with gripping the Lower outer block and using a Kincrome ratchet set on the ring-nut inside.  For the upper block, I used the ratchet to fix the inner nut in place and twisted off the block from the outside.

The seals on the outside of the boiler didn't come with the kit so leather washers were cut from 0.7mm kid leather.

It all went back together beautiffully though I wouldn't trust the guide on the diameter of the group to judge whether you have a pre/post millenium.

Here's some photos.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151004541576545.409279.623526544&type=1&l=bf1b674961

Angus.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Lever Espresso > La Pavoni...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.190207958221)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+