Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Lever Espresso Machines
Bezzera Strega
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Lever Espresso > Bezzera Strega  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
Gruven75
Gruven75
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Compak K3 Touch
Vac Pot: none
Drip: none
Roaster: looking
Posted Sun Oct 23, 2011, 5:42am
Subject: Bezzera Strega

Hi All,   As i mentioned in my earlier posts, I am a bit of  a newb, this is day 2 with the new  machine.  As I play with my new setup, I was wondering if there were any good starting points that I should be aiming for rather than just taking shot's in the dark ( no punn intended) and hoping I get a decent product.  Not that the shots I am pulling are terrible but they are nowhere close to the shot the gentleman in the showroom pulled for us.  When I said newb I really meant it, I have never really used an E61 group type prior, all we have ever done before is waste a tremendous amount of good beans through an entry level Breville and could no longer get remote satisfaction from anything delivered by that machine.  Today I plan on narrowing down length of pour, hopefully tweek the grind to something away from the factory setting, it is currently giving me a very light clump and when pressed between fingers it will cake with moderate pressure, the pucks seem to have a nice formation so I figured why mess with a good thing, however it feels like I need to add the personal touch and move it around and see what I get.  How much pressure should I be applying with the tamper and how much bean should be added, I see reference to actual gm weight, I will use the double basket for all shots and right now I am filling it to pretty much level an try to smooth  the top with my finger without making a huge mess! and tamp, I try to compress the grounds to the thickness of the tamper top level with the  PF rim, do a cooling flush and pray.  Is the gm weight really that important our grinder is a K3 so I would have to adjust the timer to try to get close to the suggested weights.  Right now when I remove the PF after pulling a shot I can see a slight impression from the group head screen, I have heard that is good, but also that it is because there is too much coffee in the PF, anyone shed me some light on that one?  On that note, time to play! Have a great day all!
 View Profile Link to this post
RapidCoffee
RapidCoffee

Espresso: La Spaziale S1
Grinder: Mazzer Robur
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: misc
Posted Sun Oct 23, 2011, 9:28am
Subject: Re: Bezzera Strega

Gruven75 Said:

How much pressure should I be applying with the tamper and how much bean should be added, I see reference to actual gm weight, I will use the double basket for all shots and right now I am filling it to pretty much level an try to smooth  the top with my finger without making a huge mess! and tamp, I try to compress the grounds to the thickness of the tamper top level with the  PF rim, do a cooling flush and pray.  Is the gm weight really that important...

Posted October 23, 2011 link

Yes, dose matters. Dosing by weight is more accurate and repeatable than dosing by volume. The grind setting matters too; in combination with dose, the grind setting determines the flow rate. Tamp pressure is less important, just be reasonably consistent. Prayer is optional.

Definitely check out this thread on H-B: Click Here (www.home-barista.com)
Gruven75
Gruven75

Posted Sun Oct 23, 2011, 3:55pm

Thanks, I played with my grind until it took me approx 20 odd sec to pull a shot through 15 gm and starting to get some good results, i have also been feathering or restricting the lever on the upstroke to maintain a nice thin spout, I read somewhere about the pour looking like a mouse tail, wow instant results.  I have charged through almost a lb of good bean and no sign of slowing up yet.  I expected this pastime to be a touch addictive, I think I am in for a bit of a surprise.  I know that my experience is rather low, I have to admit I am really loving this machine, looks great, feels great and now that we have our grind and dose dialed in this is turning into some fun........... The true test will be repeating the good results........
IMAWriter
IMAWriter
Expertise: I live coffee

Grinder: Forte, Preciso/Esatto, KyM...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600, CO/UFO combo
Posted Sat Oct 29, 2011, 8:27pm

Jeff...welcome to CG and lever ownership!
I've been wondering about this machine. it is unique, for sure.

BTW, is your grinder also new?

if so, the burrs need a good 3-5#'s 9some folks believe even more0 run through them before the burrs "season." (no rough edges, etc)
That is another factor, so if that's the case, even better results should be forthcoming!

Please keep us in the loop, as you're excellent machine is one of the "new kids' on the CG block.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Gruven75
Gruven75

Posted Wed Nov 2, 2011, 8:39am

Just a quick update on the Strega, we are in love with the machine! We still will not let eachother pull a shot, I make mine, she makes hers.  Finally starting to get some consistancy in quality of shots pulled.  

I've seen on some other posts that there was some concern with the flex in the group head, felx is minimal and more like a spring.  I dont see it being a concern.

As this is my first "lever machine" from what I gather the strega is a bit of a hybrid, using a micro switch to active a pump when you load the springs.  When you do a cooling flush :Caution: must be used when returning the lever to the top position as there is no restriction from a loaded PF.  Almost took the wife's arm off! Don't think she will do that again!
do all lever machine operate like that?
and what is a Fellini Move?

Yes the grinder is new, that has been the most chanllenging part is to set the correct grind.  Changing to different beans every pound has not helped the process, but trying to find our goto bean so we can hopefully "Set and Forget" the grinder.  As I mentioned in an earlier post I am adjusting dose(15g-18g) and grind to achieve approx a 25 sec pour.  Does this sound about right, the shot seem good to me and I guess that is the goal, but any tips would be great.......cheers for now......dont hesitate to ask about the machine, I will do my best with the limited time of ownership, to give you the lowdown......
donnydregs
donnydregs
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Elektra A3 / MCAL / E61 Two...
Grinder: Mazzer Mini / HG-One (soon)
Posted Wed Nov 2, 2011, 4:28pm

Gruven75 Said:

Just a quick update on the Strega, we are in love with the machine! We still will not let eachother pull a shot, I make mine, she makes hers.  Finally starting to get some consistancy in quality of shots pulled.  

I've seen on some other posts that there was some concern with the flex in the group head, felx is minimal and more like a spring.  I dont see it being a concern.

As this is my first "lever machine" from what I gather the strega is a bit of a hybrid, using a micro switch to active a pump when you load the springs.  When you do a cooling flush :Caution: must be used when returning the lever to the top position as there is no restriction from a loaded PF.  Almost took the wife's arm off! Don't think she will do that again!
do all lever machine operate like that?
and what is a Fellini Move?

Yes the grinder is new, that has been the most chanllenging part is to set the correct grind.  Changing to different beans every pound has not helped the process, but trying to find our goto bean so we can hopefully "Set and Forget" the grinder.  As I mentioned in an earlier post I am adjusting dose(15g-18g) and grind to achieve approx a 25 sec pour.  Does this sound about right, the shot seem good to me and I guess that is the goal, but any tips would be great.......cheers for now......dont hesitate to ask about the machine, I will do my best with the limited time of ownership, to give you the lowdown......

Posted November 2, 2011 link

I'm surprised whoever sold the machine did not warn about cocking the jaw breaking lever unloaded. One of the first things to mention I would have thought.

There will be no "set and forget" with the grind. Even using the same beans a couple of hours between grinds there can be a substantial difference just with variations in weather, humidity, early morning starts etc. There can also be a noticeable difference from the first grind of the day to the second with both grinder burrs and machine getting warmed up.

Congratulations on your wonderful machine. I could not really see myself ever wanting to upgrade from a Strega.
Gruven75
Gruven75

Posted Thu Mar 1, 2012, 8:09am

We are now into our fifth month of strega ownership.  All I can report back to every one interested, we are still loving the machine.  We have found a particular bean and roast the we both like and have the grinder dialed in to the point I can pull shot after shot with desired results.  We are going through roughly 1 to 2 lbs per week, use the hot water wand for tea, I drink the strait shots, and my wife likes latte's, the steam wand is a beast, overall we are very happy with this unit......looking for some wooden handles for the lever, PF, and wand levers, if anyone knows of retailer, pls send a link.....
JPF

Espresso: Mini Vivaldi, Pre-millenium...
Grinder: Dosered SJ, Resurrected...
Vac Pot: Yama Siphon
Drip: Technivorm
Roaster: Behmor, Poppery I
Posted Sun Mar 4, 2012, 11:51am

Talk to Cannonfodder (Dave) on HB.  He does some amazing work.

Living the caffeinated life.
MoffeeCoff
MoffeeCoff
Expertise: Professional
Posted Tue Mar 13, 2012, 2:28am

It is nice to see such a wealth of info here about this machine. I've just ordered one, and only beacause I was given some very positive feedback on it.

http://www.coffeebeancounters.com.au/
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Fri May 11, 2012, 12:37pm

I did not even know this thing existed till the other day on another thread.  It is really interesting to me being a hybrid. I see it is not in stock at 1st line.  I hope that means it is selling well.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Lever Espresso > Bezzera Strega  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
LavAzza Espresso Machines
Awesome capsule espresso machines. Perfect for home, office and restaurant applications.
www.espressozone.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.265762090683)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+