Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Lever Espresso Machines
Bosco or Voctoria Arduino Athena Leva
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Lever Espresso > Bosco or...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 5 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Sun Nov 13, 2011, 7:09pm
Subject: Re: Bosco or Voctoria Arduino Athena Leva

I'm not trying to be difficult, but you didn't answer my question.

You originally wrote,

beanflying Said:

The 55mm groups are a good thing in the flavour department . . .

Posted November 11, 2011 link

and I am asking what makes them "a good thing in the flavour department"?  In other words, I interpret your statement above -- and please correct me if I have misunderstood -- as saying that a 55mm group tastes not only different from the standard 58mm group, but somehow better.  I am asking what the flavo(u)r difference is.  Does it taste sweeter? Deeper? Richer?  Is it more complex, with more layers, and a longer finish?  In what ways does the 55mm diameter affect the taste, that a 56, 57, or 58mm diameter does not?

I believe you that the 58mm standard is rather arbitrary, and you may be correct:  there is nothing more than tradition and/or laziness that maintains the 58mm standard.  

beanflying Said:

Della Corte and GS3's are some current examples of 53 or 55mm PF's I think and are some of the best machines in the world.

Posted November 11, 2011 link

I was under the impression that Dalla Corte employs 54mm groups and that La Marzocco uses 57mm groups in all of their machines, including the GS/3.  

Furthermore, I believe there must be a reason as to why Dalla Corte, for example, chose to employ a 54mm group, or La Spaziale uses a 53mm group.  And certainly logic suggests that smaller/deeper would (should) somehow lead to a different extraction than wider/shallower.  But no one has ever been able to quantify for me what that difference is in the cup, where it counts!  I can see where a 6.89% size reduction (54mm, down from 58mm) MIGHT make a difference . . . kinda, sorta.  But downsizing from 58mm to 57mm is a reduction of 1.72%, and that is far too small IMHO to make any difference whatsoever.

Cheers,
Jason

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
 View Profile Link to this post
x1

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Mon Nov 14, 2011, 12:53pm

This whole discussion around grouphead size, I think this is what the you call "hijacking a thread".
beanflying
beanflying
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: 7 of them
Grinder: 10+
Vac Pot: 15+ I think
Drip: 6 or so
Roaster: several
Posted Tue Nov 15, 2011, 12:56am

Hi Joe,

apologies I was trying to avoid further hijacking than necessary as it's a big subject and worthy of its own book ;-) . The initial point was seriously broaden up your options and consider the 55mm grouped machines.

Everything I have seen of the Arduino leaves me to believe it shares the same groups as my Fioranzato and as stated earlier the Izzo is better.

It's a shame that levers are not more in use so you can go have a play before you buy.

cheers

Tim

Lever Junkie Izzo 3grp, Fioranzato 1grp, Z9 2grp, Cimbali and a Pavoni. 15'ish Siphons plus to much other stuff
joatmon

Posted Tue Nov 15, 2011, 6:48am

Removed
johnmc

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Tue Nov 15, 2011, 3:09pm

The size of a lever group is only one of many factors in the machine design which influence the flavour of the coffee extracted from it.

Factors such as
Boiler shape and size.
Diameter, thickness and length of tubing used.
Whether a machine uses a Dipper or HX system.
The actual internal and external design of the group head.
Even something as simple as changing the group to boiler gasket material can make a difference.
etc

I cannot see how it is possible to determine that a 53mm group head is better than a 58mm one without being able to swap the heads from machine to machine.
Even if you were to make up adaptor plates to enable you to swap heads, the plates themselves would have some effect on the brewing process.
Without the ability to swap, the only valid conclusion you can come to is that one machine ( to your palate ) produces a better coffee.

Coffee machines are generally designed ( IMHO) as a complete system and should be evaluated that way.

John
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis

Posted Tue Nov 15, 2011, 3:12pm

Now that -- to me -- makes sense!

beanflying
beanflying
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: 7 of them
Grinder: 10+
Vac Pot: 15+ I think
Drip: 6 or so
Roaster: several
Posted Wed Nov 16, 2011, 12:40am

As a lot of the current breed of lever machines share groups and similar if not the same boilers from a common source manufacturer (several of them are identical internally) it is relevant to compare the groups as being similar if not the same in the results you are likely to achieve. The only other way is to try and get a go on them rather than speculation from the outside without first hand knowledge.

Older machines built by each factory I would agree totally that you can't compare one with the other and discussion of an individual machine being this way or that in flavour or results but that's well OT.

Time to start a new thread rather than clutter this one up any more.

Lever Junkie Izzo 3grp, Fioranzato 1grp, Z9 2grp, Cimbali and a Pavoni. 15'ish Siphons plus to much other stuff
joatmon

Posted Wed Nov 16, 2011, 6:58am

Removed
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis

Posted Wed Nov 16, 2011, 8:53am

FWIW, Joat, I have never seen (that I can recall) anyone ever saying that a 58mm is REQUIRED when making recommendations.  OTOH, I have seen people insist on -- for example -- an e61 group . . . that is a different "requirement" -- coincidentally a 58mm -- and equally unnecessary.  (Usually the one insisting is the OP, saying "I want a machine that has this and that and an e61 group . . . ")

All I am trying to discover is WHAT TASTE DIFFERENCES there are between X and Y, when X = 58mm and Y = 55.  Tim said "The 55mm groups are a good thing in the flavour department . . ." and I'm just trying to discover what makes it so.  When someone makes a statement like that, I don't think it's too much to ask "why."  Time may very well be right.  Or not.  And no one is saying, "Give me 58mm or give me Folger's!"  ;^)  

I know how, for example, aging a Cabernet Sauvignon, a Pinot Noir, a Syrah, or other wine will change if the oak barrel is new or used once, twice, three times before; if it is Tronšais, Allier, Sa˘ne, Limousin, Nevers, Appalachian, Wisconson, or Oregon oak; if it is 225L in capacity, 600L, or 3000L, or something larger; if the oak isn't oak at al, but rather chestnut, redwood, or . . . but what I don't understand is how a shot is affected by a 55mm group versus a 58mm group.

Cheers,
Jason

P.S.  At this point, however, I do not expect an answer and so . . .

JasonBrandtLewis: beathorse.gif

donnydregs
donnydregs

Espresso: Elektra A3 / MCAL / E61 Two...
Grinder: Mazzer Mini / HG-One (soon)
Posted Wed Nov 16, 2011, 4:27pm

Hey Joe, how about some pics.
showing page 2 of 5 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Lever Espresso > Bosco or...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.267568826675)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+