Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Lever Espresso Machines
Europicolla "Popping"
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Lever Espresso > Europicolla...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
inpursuit
inpursuit
Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Ditting
Vac Pot: Yama
Roaster: Diedrich IR-7, Gene Cafe
Posted Mon Feb 9, 2009, 11:42am
Subject: Europicolla "Popping"

Hello Everyone,

When I remove the portafilter from the group on my Europicolla, there is a violent release of pressure that sprays coffee grounds everywhere. The pressure is slight on the first pull, more pronounced by the second, and dramatic by the third. I don't think that the grind is too fine, because it pulls very smoothly. I always make sure the lever is all the way down and I let it drip for about a minute before removing the portafilter. Does anyone know what could be causing this?
 View Profile Link to this post
benvh
benvh
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: La Pavoni Professional
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky
Vac Pot: Hario TCA-5, Bodum Santos,...
Drip: Beehouse drippers, Meloir...
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Mon Feb 9, 2009, 11:47am
Subject: Re: Europicolla "Popping"

It's called portafilter sneeze. The LaPavonis are one of the worst. You can either let it sit and let the pressure dissipate after each shot, or start to remove the portafilter slowly and once you hear pressure being released, let it sit till all the pressure is gone.
Ben
pilgrim5
pilgrim5

Espresso: Salivatore
Grinder: Bunn/LPG & Macap M4
Vac Pot: Yamer/aeropress
Drip: Bunn VPR series
Roaster: Bred mach /heat gun and stir...
Posted Mon Feb 9, 2009, 11:52am

I do not have this machine so shooting from the hip on this one..... Is it blowing down when your done pulling the shot?  You should have a Phhhhsssshhhhh gurgle gurgle sound?  If not your pressure is not releasing is it a E61 group head?

May be in dire need to be back flushed 12 or more times like back flush 5 times (using a blank portafilter) pull a 2 oz shot of straight water (regular portafilter in place) repeat till you have a good blow down group head is plugged or your not putting the leaver in the right position to establish the blow down.  You will have to keep cleaning the machine this way till you get a good blow-down or into the shop it goes.

Just went and looked the machine up!  Could not find anything on here about it so on to google.  Its about as manual a machine as you can get so forget everything i said above for this machine!!!

Good luck anyways............
gime2much

Espresso: La Pavoni, Astoria comm, 2...
Grinder: La Pavoni Zip, Bunn...
Drip: Bunn comm
Roaster: Popcorn popper (air),co/ufo
Posted Mon Feb 9, 2009, 11:59am

benvh Said:

It's called portafilter sneeze. The LaPavonis are one of the worst. You can either let it sit and let the pressure dissipate after each shot, or start to remove the portafilter slowly and once you hear pressure being released, let it sit till all the pressure is gone.
Ben

Posted February 9, 2009 link

Yep...+1

Dan Brewer
inpursuit
inpursuit

Grinder: Ditting
Vac Pot: Yama
Roaster: Diedrich IR-7, Gene Cafe
Posted Mon Feb 9, 2009, 6:31pm

Thanks. I guess It's just one of the quirks of the machine I'll have to live with. Thanks for the quick replies!
mrgnomer
mrgnomer

Espresso: Vetrano, Silvia, Olympia...
Grinder: Zass., Macap M4 stepless,...
Vac Pot: Yama, Bodum E Santos
Drip: French Press, ibrik, Moka...
Roaster: Hottop programmable, IRoast2
Posted Tue Feb 10, 2009, 8:54am

Any machine that doesn't have a 3 way valve will be prone to portafilter sneeze.  I think Olympia redesigned it's group to allow pressure to bleed off faster.

It's pressure still in the cylinder.  Waiting for a while before unlocking the portafilter will allow built up pressure to dissipate and elimnate the sneeze.
 View Profile Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Lever Espresso > Europicolla...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.229297161102)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+