Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Latte Art and Etching
Latte Art - basic tools?
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Latte Art > Latte Art -...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
Amby104

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Wed Dec 11, 2013, 12:02pm
Subject: Latte Art - basic tools?

Hi everyone, I'm looking into getting my partner some basic tools to begin latte art for Christmas, but I wanted to consult you all (who know immensely more than I) on what exactly I should get for her. If you have any items you would put into a "latte art kit" what would it be? She is an advanced barista but has not dabbled in the latte art realm too much yet. Any insight and/or suggestions from you would be greatly appreciated! Thanks so much!
 View Profile Link to this post
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4, Pharos,...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Wed Dec 11, 2013, 12:38pm
Subject: Re: Latte Art - basic tools?

There's a kit for sale that consists of stencils one places over the cup - but that's sort of cheating, and won''t help your friend improve her skills.  You then sprinkle cinnamon or cocoa on and voila, you have a nice picture.  Other than that, the methods are etching (using a small stick) or pouring technique.  No real special tools are required (other than a machine that steams well and a good frothing pitcher) for either, but rather, it's a set of skills. If you really want to get her something special for latte art, hit up one of the following to arrange a private class...(in no particular order)...

Southside Espresso (Montrose)
Tuscany Coffee (Greenway Plaza)
Blacksmith (Montrose)
Boomtown (Heights)
Revival Market (Heights)
Catalina Coffee (Washinton west of Downtown)

There are a few other places you could try, but I would be really surprised if you couldn't find a barista at one of these places to agree to do a class on their off time.

If you're dead set on a material gift, David Schomer sells a latte art video on his website www.espressovivace.com

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
CoffeeLoversMag
CoffeeLoversMag
Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Tue Jan 14, 2014, 8:08pm

You need the following basic tools for latte art:

a.       Wide-mouthed cup
b.      Fresh shot of quality coffee
c.       Cold milk
d.      Steaming wand

The important elements for latte art are the quality coffee and well textured or heated milk.

Did you know...? Dark roast coffees actually have less caffeine than lighter roasts due to the fact that the process of roasting burns off caffeine.
www.coffeeloversmag.com/theMagazine
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Jimmy_Parsons

Posted Thu Feb 13, 2014, 6:56am

...and patience!
brewinaroundcoffeeco
brewinaroundcoffeeco
Expertise: Pro Barista

Espresso: Reneka
Grinder: Rossi, La San Marco
Posted Sun Feb 16, 2014, 10:06am

I think if she is already a professional at latte art then getting her a good latte art steaming pitcher and tamper would be nice. Not much else is required for hand poured art if she already has the machine.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
jowdawson

Expertise: Professional

Posted Sat Mar 1, 2014, 4:05am

1. Hands
  2. Eyes
  3. A pitcher with a sharp mouth
kennyrsmith

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Dalla Corte Mini
Grinder: Mahlkonig Pro M/Baratza...
Posted Thu Mar 13, 2014, 3:45pm

Hey there! Latte art is a fun and exciting hobby, I'm sure your partner will get addicted just as I have to the pursuit of the perfect tulip or rosetta :)

I agree with everyone else's posts but I have some specific recommendations.

1. The rattleware latte art pitchers are absolutely my favorite to pour with, I recommend a 12oz and 20oz size for pouring in 6oz cups and 12oz cups respectively
    Here is a link: Click Here (prima-coffee.com)

2. There are lots of cup options out there. My favorite larger cups are Ancap 9-11oz cups, Prima-coffee.com has them too, they are pretty cheap compared to italian cups. ACF italian 6oz cups are also really nice because they have a nice wide bowl shape

3. I presume you already have an espresso machine with a decent steam wand and proper grinder? If not, the rancilio silvia is a good choice for less than $1000

4. Watch lots and lots of videos! That's how many of us learned and they will show you some great techniques. Ryan Soeder is a good friend who made a series of awesome videos for Howcast, these should be super helpful: http://www.howcast.com/guides/1067-How-to-Do-Latte-Art

I have poured latte art for around 6 years, competed in several competitions, and learned a lot along the way. Those are my humble suggestions, good luck!
mgk2031

Posted Fri Mar 28, 2014, 11:46am

By far the best response!!!

jowdawson Said:

Hands
Eyes
A pitcher with a sharp mouth

Posted March 1, 2014 link

OJM

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia (Auber PID)
Grinder: Isomac Granmacinino
Posted Tue May 27, 2014, 9:47am

Thanks for this post, very helpful, especially the video link!
minhhaistore
minhhaistore
Expertise: Just starting

Posted Mon Jul 7, 2014, 12:28am

The post useful for everybody love coffee

http://minhhaistore.com/danh-muc/do-gia-dung/voi-tang-ap/
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Latte Art > Latte Art -...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.243072986603)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+