Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Latte Art and Etching
foam starts popping.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Latte Art > foam starts...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
laythss

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: La Cimbali M23
Grinder: La Cimbali junior
Posted Tue Oct 15, 2013, 8:20am
Subject: foam starts popping.

a picture is worth a thousand words they say... so this is what happens 30 seconds after pouring, starting and mainly at the part where there it is darker i.e more coffee i guess:

www.whitefoam.me/images/latte_art.jpg
The setup:
Coffee:
Freshly roasted Yemani Sanani beans... I am no expert in roasting (1 week into the hobby) the roast is stopped 10 seconds after first crack. dark brown but uneven. Roast is 30 hours old, It was left to breath for first 24hours. (giving details just because this might have something to do with fresh roasted beans possibly).

Milk:
Full fat.
I am no expert in micro foam either, but as i learned by practice for the last two years and by an acquaintance in intelegensia, this is micro foam.
I can do a rosetta as well as a heart 8/10 times, this pic is not one of them.

Espresso:
a restretto shot (18g coffee) 1-1.5 oz in 26- 28 seconds. exen pattern middle through naked portafilter.

Equipment:
Roaster: WhirleyPop
Espresso and MILK : La Cimbali M27
Grinder Mazzer Mini.

What is causing this? is this typical ? am I doing something wrong with the frothing? any ideas of how to troubleshoot this?
I appreciate any help.

Layth
 View Profile Link to this post
Bogiesan

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Salvatore Famosa c.2000
Grinder: Rancilio M40
Posted Sun Dec 1, 2013, 7:53am
Subject: Re: foam starts popping.

I cannot tell what you're asking. That may be why no one has attempted to answer.
Stable microfoam takes a few minutes to break. ARe you saying your micro foam breaks down too quickly? Is that what you mean by popping? Foam breaks down from smaller into larger bubbles because of many factors that include heat, protein quality, water vapor, contaminants in the cup including chemicals and particles in the coffee and relative humidity.

You could begin this diagnosis by objectively evaluating your foam and techniques. Try texturing your milk and pouring it into a preheated clear glass container that resembles your latte mug. Add one drop of green or blue food coloring to the glass BEFORE you pour. This doesn't hurt the foam--much--and it will give you an unmistakable look at the separation between liquid milk and your foam, what I call the interface. As the milk sits, the liquid portion will grow in volume, the interface will rise, the microfoam will break into larger bubbles. Measuring the milk temperature, varying the fat content, and observing the amount of time the foam remains palatable will help you identify the variables you can control.

I play go. I use Macintosh,. Of course I ride a recumbent.
kennyrsmith

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Dalla Corte Mini
Grinder: Mahlkonig Pro M/Baratza...
Posted Thu Mar 13, 2014, 5:04pm
Subject: Re: foam starts popping.

Hey laythss,

I can't see your picture but there are 2 probable causes for your milk/latte art breaking down quickly.

1. Your espresso is too fresh. Espresso less than 3-4 days off roast has an insane amount of CO2 within the coffee. You probably notice that your shots have lots of crema? If so, that crema will break down your milk really fast after pouring.

2. Your espresso machine isn't keeping the pressure high enough through your entire steaming process. If you aren't getting a solid 1-1.3 bars of pressure while steaming milk, you will likely get lots of little bubbles in your milk that won't go away

Another less likely issue is your steam is too wet. This can be caused by the boiler in your espresso machine overfilling some, which allows more water into your steam than you need. It may also be a good idea to clean your steam tip holes on your espresso machine, sometimes a little clog can cause issues with your milk too.

Good luck!
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Latte Art > foam starts...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.165468931198)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+