Espresso: Latte Art and Etching
Barista milk?
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Latte Art > Barista milk?  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
stuartontour

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: S1 Vivaldi II by La Spaziale
Grinder: Vario W
Posted Tue Oct 1, 2013, 7:29pm
Subject: Barista milk?

Here in Los Angeles, a few shops are using Straus' Barista Milk. I'm not sure what the differences are.  

Click Here (strausfamilycreamery.com)

You can't buy it retail, they only sell this product wholesale.  Should we look for a source where we can try it out?    Assuming that we get shut down on this, what's your favorite milk brand?
 View Profile Link to this post
DavecUK

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Tue Oct 1, 2013, 8:16pm
Subject: Re: Barista milk?

For a moment, visions of pregnant baristas went through my mind and with relief I realise it's a commercial product.
emradguy
emradguy

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Wed Oct 2, 2013, 6:11am

from the provided link...

"Straus Family Creamery's Organic Barista Milk is simply our Organic Cream-Top Milk that has been lightly homogenized."

Here's my take on all of this "which milk business" (for what it's worth?)...

Try different milk brands, etc until you find one that you can froth well and tastes the best to you.  If you suddenly begin having difficulty frothing it well and you haven't changed anything and it seems to be a new trend, change milk.  Cow milk varies seasonally due to diet and percent of "add-ins" (something dairies and other commercial food producers use to maintain consistency in flavor).

As for your other question. Your best answers are going to come from people who live near you. However, until that happens...I always try to get local organic milk. The baristi in Houston use a dairy called Milk King. It was only available at one small market in town, until about 4-6 months ago, when Whole Foods began to carry it. The flavor is exceptional, but I find it somewhat difficult to froth.  I was in a local coffee house where the owner was discussing the milk with the owner of a "rival" coffee house (they were obviously friends).  They were saying how they've had to mix the whole milk and the 1% to get the right blend for good microfoam.  Anyhow, I tried Organic Valley Grassmilk.  My G-d...the flavor is incredible (best I've ever tasted)!  Unfortunately, it's not homogenized, so the cream layers out on the top, and it takes a huge amount of shaking to get it even moderately incorporated.  The flavor is soooo good, I've actually considered (several times) buying it again, putting it through my blender, and then back into the carton.  For now though, I usually buy regular Organic Valley, but there are a couple of other pretty good local dairies.  I've tried Straus milk (not the barista one) and thought it was very, very good, but it's not available where I shop.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
sherpakid

Espresso: Quickmill Silvano
Grinder: Baratza Vario, Virtuoso
Drip: Chemex, Aeropress, Clever...
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Thu Oct 3, 2013, 8:58am

I've been using raw milk that I get from a local farm. It tastes amazing and steams really well. I shake it very well before using to mix the cream as best as I can.

www.prohibitionspecialtycoffee.com
bjornm

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Qiuckmill Anita
Grinder: Robur E, Baratza Preciso
Posted Wed Oct 16, 2013, 11:42am

They have the same thing in Sweden where the "barista milk" has a specific fat content (and possibly protein too), but here they created "the perfect level of homogenization".

Sounds a lot like marketing, but maybe there is some science to it.

Why don't you do a review for us?
stuartontour

Espresso: S1 Vivaldi II by La Spaziale
Grinder: Vario W
Posted Mon Oct 21, 2013, 12:24am

I wish I could review it, but it's not available to the general public.
kafegeek

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: delonghi
Posted Wed Oct 23, 2013, 7:03am

I would suggest you find some local farm for milk. For me it is the best option.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Latte Art > Barista milk?  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.216089963913)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+