Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Latte Art and Etching
the science of steaming milk
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Latte Art > the science of...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
z0mbie
z0mbie
Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Sat Oct 12, 2013, 9:03pm
Subject: the science of steaming milk

I understand to properly froth milk, you need to first stretch at the surface where air is "sucked" into the milk.  Then you submerge the wand to stop stretching and start heating and texturing, where the existing bubbles get further broken up forming micro foam all the while forming a vortex to distribute the microfoam consistently through the milk (texturing).

But here's what I don't get.  The wand is blowing air the entire time.  It seems counter intuitive that the air being blown into the milk during texturing and heating doesn't just produce more bubbles.  I practice with cold water (with a drop of dish soap) and I can see what's going on under the surface.   Absolutely no air rises to the surface. The water just spins in a whirlpool and slowly heats up with no additional stretching.    Where does all that steam it go?!  By simple logic, one would assume any air blown into the milk under the surface needs to go somewhere. Why doesn't it come to the surface as more foam (given it would be encapsulated in milk or soapy water) in the same fashion of blowing air into a submerged straw. Isn't the same thing happening,  just faster with smaller bubbles?

I tested this again with plain water and still no bubbles come to the surface when heating the water.

Anyone have a scientific explanation for this?
 View Profile Link to this post
NobbyR
NobbyR
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Poccino Opus One, Ariete
Grinder: Eureka Mignon Istantaneo
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Melitta Linea Unica de Luxe
Roaster: N/A
Posted Sun Oct 13, 2013, 2:01am
Subject: Re: the science of steaming milk

The steam wand doesn't blow air but steam, i.e. water vapor, which condenses when it mixes with the colder liquid. But that's just my two cents worth.

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
z0mbie
z0mbie

Posted Sun Oct 13, 2013, 1:11pm

NobbyR Said:

The steam wand doesn't blow air but steam, i.e. water vapor, which condenses when it mixes with the colder liquid. But that's just my two cents worth.

Posted October 13, 2013 link

ah, that makes sense.  When I was heating plain water, I saw no air coming to the surface at all.  In fact I saw no air coming out of the steam wand! The force that was pushing the water was almost invisible.  But still...say I were to blow steam into an empty balloon, it would turn into 100% once cooled?  Wouldn't there be at least some air in the balloon?
selzoc

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Tue Oct 15, 2013, 8:22am

The air that is sucked into the milk during the stretching phase comes from above the surface of the milk in the pitcher.  You are placing a steam tip opening at the border of the milk and air, and the turbulence created there drives some of the air into the milk.  The air does NOT come from the steam wand in significant quantity to stretch the milk.

When texturing, there's not a significant amount of air entering the milk.
z0mbie
z0mbie

Posted Tue Oct 15, 2013, 6:09pm

selzoc Said:

The air that is sucked into the milk during the stretching phase comes from above the surface of the milk in the pitcher.  You are placing a steam tip opening at the border of the milk and air, and the turbulence created there drives some of the air into the milk.  The air does NOT come from the steam wand in significant quantity to stretch the milk.

When texturing, there's not a significant amount of air entering the milk.

Posted October 15, 2013 link

Agreed, but you I think you're answering a different question than what I asked.

I was not wondering where air comes from which froths the milk. Of course it comes from surface. That's what warrants the technique required, which I had described in the very first sentence of this thread..

What I was wondering about is where the air from the steam tip goes.  It does not add any air to the water, nor does it come to the surface. (please review my earlier post).   NobbyR's answer makes the most sense.  But it's fascinating that none of it comes to the surface..
selzoc

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Wed Oct 16, 2013, 10:20am

Who says that air comes out of the steam tip? :)  It's steam!
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Latte Art > the science of...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.236027002335)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+