Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Latte Art and Etching
Rancilio Silvia wand on my Gaggia Classic
Great Espresso at Home
Curated selection of the best machines from La Spaziale, Izzo, Quick Mill, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Latte Art > Rancilio Silvia...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
globetrotter

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Thu Sep 19, 2013, 6:42am
Subject: Rancilio Silvia wand on my Gaggia Classic

I've been trying to get the perfect microfoam since I started a few months ago and still can't quite get it down. Many people said the Rancilio Silvia wand was much better than the plastic Gaggia Classic for frothing and foam, so I "upgraded" and not very impressed. I got thicker and denser foam on the Gaggia than I can get now. On my Rancilio wand, bt the time the milk gets hot, I only have a small layer of microfoam on the top, and all the rest is hot milk. I've watched so many tutorials and I can't do it like they do in the videos where they have the whole pitcher the same consistency. I think the more holes in the tip the better. The Rancilio only has one hole, whereas the Gaggia has about 4, so it really whips it up good. The Rancilio has a lot more pressure, but it doesn't get whipped up as well for me. I'm temped to switch back to my stock steam wand. Any tips?
 View Profile Link to this post
D4F

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Thu Sep 19, 2013, 8:23am
Subject: Re: Rancilio Silvia wand on my Gaggia Classic

Globetrotter, welcome to CG.

I found these 2 threads helpful after the switch.

http://silviaschool.com/node/9

Click Here (www.home-barista.com)

Start with cold milk.  Try 10 - 15 minutes in the freezer before you start.  try a couple different fat contents and different brands.  You can practice on water with a couple drops of dish soap.  The Rancilio wand was definitely different to use and you have to relearn, start over.

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4, Pharos,...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Thu Sep 19, 2013, 8:33am

Once you get your technique down, you can do baby steps towards just taking milk out of your fridge and then pouring it into your room temp pitcher.  First, though, you need to get your technique down, and the extra chilling will give you more time to interact with the milk.  As Fred says, practicing with soap and water helps and is really cheap.

For sure, you will eventually get it if you keep at it...and once you do, you won't look back (or at least if you look back, you'll be glad to see how far you've progressed).

When I took my barista training class at Klatch Roasting, Heather Perry told us to get the vortex going as soon as possible, and then introduce air in tiny whispers (rather than the chugga-chugga a lot of other people talk about).  

Hang in there!  It's tough to learn, but well worth the effort.

Another option is to find a local barista who might be willing to come to your home and help you.  I hear that offers of food and/or alcohol help entice them...but you could alternatively offer them money.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
gophishin

Espresso: ecm technika iv profi
Grinder: baratza vario
Drip: bonavita immersion dripper
Posted Thu Sep 19, 2013, 9:20am

In addition to what everyone has already said, I found this video pretty helpful:  click here

I have the same setup, and it takes some practice, but it will eventually click.  I personally find I get a more consistent microfoam throughout if I keep the pitcher tilted creating a vortex during the entire process and introduce air (the cha or kissing sound) until about 100*F and then submerge the wand a little deeper to create consistency.  I say that echoing emradguy, because I found I got too much hard foam that had trouble incorporating with the rest of the milk when I got to the vortex phase using the silivaschool technique.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
globetrotter

Posted Thu Sep 19, 2013, 11:39am

Thanks for the input everyone. I'll try practicing with soap and water too.
gophishin

Espresso: ecm technika iv profi
Grinder: baratza vario
Drip: bonavita immersion dripper
Posted Thu Sep 19, 2013, 11:56am

don't know if you've seen this, but here's a video that shows how to practice with soap and water
home barista
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Latte Art > Rancilio Silvia...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.184653997421)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+