Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Latte Art and Etching
Milk for latte art on Gaggia New Baby Dose
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Latte Art > Milk for latte...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
Crayox

Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Tue Apr 16, 2013, 7:57am
Subject: Milk for latte art on Gaggia New Baby Dose

Hi guys,
first of all, I hope this is possible, and that my machine isn't too weak to make the real thick milk.
I've been playing with this machine for weeks now and still I don't get the milk I want. I actually already replaced the steam wand with Rancilio Silvias, and bought real pitchers for latte art. I tried 3.2% and 1.5% milk. I usually get very nice thick foam, but that's for cappuccionios not for latte art. I can't get the thick milk, and when I pour, I always have foam landing on top of my esspreso, and not thick milk going to the bottom. I've seen almost all tutorials out there, so yes, I do first introduce air, and when I reach about 40C I submerge my wand, but still - foam + milk.

I also feel Gaggia isn't always giving me steam power it should. I always empty the water from pipes first, and even make the first go into an empty pitcher, and then after it heats again I use milk. Gaggia starts blinking when you empty most of the steam, but sometimes when you empty a third for instance, it doesn't blink. I'm not sure if it "filling" the boiler than too (even though it's not blinking) or not.

I hope I explained this clearly. Any advice on how to make real latte art milk on this home machine is very welcome.

thanks in advance
 View Profile Link to this post
espressoplanet
espressoplanet
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: QM, LaSpaz, Rancilio, Izzo,...
Grinder: Baratza, Mazzer, Macap,...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos
Drip: Bonavita, Behmore, Capresso
Roaster: Behmore 1600
Posted Wed Apr 17, 2013, 12:44pm
Subject: Re: Milk for latte art on Gaggia New Baby Dose

Based on the fact that you have watched all the tutorials that are out there, maybe the only thing I don't see described is when your done steaming the milk - do you swirl the pitcher to stop the milk from separating? If im not mistaken, the Gaggia baby is a single boiler so you have to wait between steaming and brewing? Are you letting the milk sit while your preparing your espresso?

Just a thought.

Josh.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Crayox

Posted Thu Apr 18, 2013, 5:36am

I always make espresso first than milk. Yes I swirl the pitcher. Maybe I should make a video of how I do it...I tried to make some but they weren't good enough, you can't see it well.
Also on one of the tutorials the woman said to actually let the milk settle a bit for the foam to clear too.
Crayox

Posted Fri Apr 19, 2013, 10:30am

So here's me trying to make milk for latte art. This time it turned out even worse than usual because at one moment I lowered the pitcher too far I think and it sucked in bigger air bubbles.
Click Here (www.youtube.com)

I always get this foam on top and liquid milk beneath. Never thick white paint like liquid.
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Sat Apr 20, 2013, 11:50am

The thick paint comes with the mixing after the stretching and it takes power to do that.  Try a smaller pitcher to see if you can get a strong vortex in the milk.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
Crayox

Posted Sat Apr 20, 2013, 1:27pm

This is probably the smallest pitcher on the market (the one I use on the video).
But yes, this does make sense. My Gaggia is inconsistent, sometimes it looses its steam capacity quickly, and sometimes it's strong for a longer period. Any ideas how this small boilers work? I mean my heater lamp starts blinking only when I really empty the steam, after 20 seconds or something like that...hm, maybe less. But shouldn't heating start before that? Does it build up pressure if I empty only 1/4 or does it wait until I empty it?
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Sun Apr 21, 2013, 4:26pm

I skipped single boilers because I knew I wanted steam power. My HX has a larger boiler and tons of steam.  But I did not have access to it fast (stop and start) until I changed the knob for a lever.   There are some gaggia owners on the machine board also yahoo has a gaggia group. They will have better info for you than I have.  

So, I understand your problem but I don't have the experience to help you.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
Crayox

Posted Mon Apr 22, 2013, 12:45am

I did see several videos of people making a really nice latte art milk on my model so I guess it CAN be done. I'll just keep on practicing :)
thx
ewolfe

Posted Mon Apr 22, 2013, 9:09am

Crayox Said:

I did see several videos of people making a really nice latte art milk on my model so I guess it CAN be done. I'll just keep on practicing :)
thx

Posted April 22, 2013 link

I think with just a little more practice, you'll find yourself able to do it (and then you can practice your pours!).  I watched your video, and you are introducing too much air. At 20 seconds or so, when you can see the milk in the pitcher clearly, there are a lot of big bubbles, which you want to avoid.  And by the end, the volume of milk has increased way more than you want for good microfoam.  With the amount of milk it looks like you started with, you don't want the final volume to end up much above where the bell of your pitcher curves in--and maybe even below that line.

So try to start much more slowly.  Make sure you've got the wand submerged when you turn on the steam, and concentrate at first on finding a wand position that gets the whirlpool motion going in the milk.  Once you have that, then lower the pitcher ever so slightly so you get a little of the fft-fft sound--but much gentler than in your video.  If you see big bubbles forming at this stage, you've gone too far.  

You really don't need to spend that much time introducing air.  I'd suggest trying to overcompensate at first.  Steam some milk with a good whirlpool and hardly introduce any air--then see how it pours.  If it's still too thin, introduce a little more air.

If I'm not mistaken, your Gaggia's steam is controlled by a simple thermostat, which measures the temperature in the boiler.  These often have a wide deadband, so the temperature must drop a significant amount before the heating element turns on again.  Coupled with a small boiler, that can make the steam pressure inconsistent.  When the light turns off, the boiler will be at the top of the temperature range and it will fall while you steam until it hits the low point; then the light will come on and the heating element will turn on.  I'm not sure how long your typical cycle might run, but if you find that you are losing steam power in the middle of your steaming session, you could try to surf the steam range.  Flip the button to the steam setting and wait for the light to turn out (now it's at the top of the temp range).  Then, run enough steam out of the wand to get the light to turn on again (now it's at the bottom of the temp range).  Wait a few seconds, and then begin your steaming.  That way you'll be steaming while the temperature in the boiler is rising rather than falling.  You can experiment with what timing gives you the best results in terms of steam power.  The trade-off, of course, is that your espresso shot is sitting there while you are monkeying around with the steam.
steamer
steamer

Espresso: Expobar Brewtus IV R
Grinder: Mazzer Mini-B Baratza...
Vac Pot: Krubs Moka Brew, vacPot
Drip: TechV, and many more
Roaster: Hottop
Posted Tue Apr 30, 2013, 8:22am

One thing I may suggest, turn on the steam switch and wait about 30-45 seconds before turning on the wand valve. I usually wait till the steam comes out the group head, then I open the steam valve.
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Latte Art > Milk for latte...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.247726917267)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+