Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Latte Art and Etching
Best Milk Steaming Tutorial I've Seen
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Latte Art > Best Milk...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
Author Messages
tglodjo
tglodjo
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II
Grinder: Baratza Vario, Virtuoso
Drip: Wave, V60, Chemex, Clever
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Thu Apr 4, 2013, 11:11am
Subject: Best Milk Steaming Tutorial I've Seen

I'm sure many of you, like me, have spent hours upon hours searching for milk texturing and latte art tutorial videos. Well, fellow coffee geeks, here is the best one I've found out there. It's a great tutorial, but more importantly, we are given a clear view into the pitcher for do's and don'ts. Most videos I've found either have great instruction (but you can't see inside the pitcher) or very poor quality video of the actual milk texturing with little or no instruction. I hope this is helpful for you.

Click Here (blog.vervecoffeeroasters.com)
 View Profile Link to this post
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Fri Apr 5, 2013, 9:57am
Subject: Re: Best Milk Steaming Tutorial I've Seen

It is a good video. I kept wanting to straighten out his hat... I guess I have been watching too many Monk reruns.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
jimboc

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: mypressi twist
Grinder: Baratza Precico
Posted Fri Apr 5, 2013, 8:32pm

I still feel it misleads by going into technique. It's only when I really understood what we're really trying to do and ignored how physically how to do it did I get the breakthrough.

The vertical steam wand and its positioning mentioned here for example simply weren't appropriate to my single-hole wand and were just sending me off track.

I tripled  the power of my steamer just recently and wand positioning, angle, depth etc all changed radically. That's the same steam boiler, still single hole, same milk, same pitcher, just more power.

The things mentioned in this video makes me think it is definitely for the beginner, and they've likely got an entry-level single tip job. Showing the technique used on an Aurelia II is just misleading IMO.
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie

Posted Tue Apr 9, 2013, 10:08am

It helped me a bit, but Oscar with a lever instead of a knob works a bit like that machine... I think I have the same handle now.  Any, I think I was starting with my tip too low, it seems I have a bit more control starting up half way.

Coffeenoobie

tglodjo
tglodjo
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II
Grinder: Baratza Vario, Virtuoso
Drip: Wave, V60, Chemex, Clever
Posted Tue Apr 9, 2013, 8:05pm

It made me realize I was positioning the steam arm too close to the side of the pitcher. Granted, every machine and pitcher is different, but since I watched this video, my microcosm is better than it's ever been.
dougz

Espresso: Bezzera BZ07
Grinder: Lelit PL53
Drip: Technivorm
Posted Tue Apr 9, 2013, 8:12pm

Nice!  Getting much better results after watching that..

But what IS the proper amount?  I fill up to the bottom of the indentation for the spout, or approx 330-360g.
kafegeek

Espresso: delonghi
Posted Wed Apr 10, 2013, 8:38am

So far one of the best tutorial I have ever seen and the quality is awesome! Really like it!!
espressoplanet
espressoplanet
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: QM, LaSpaz, Rancilio, Izzo,...
Grinder: Baratza, Mazzer, Macap,...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos
Drip: Bonavita, Behmore, Capresso
Roaster: Behmore 1600
Posted Wed Apr 10, 2013, 1:33pm

Really well done video... we need to make one for the "home" machine.

Josh.
myallawala
myallawala
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Mazzer Major & Baratza Vario
Vac Pot: Yama Burner
Drip: Hario V60 & Chemex
Posted Tue Apr 30, 2013, 9:42pm

Coffeenoobie Said:

It is a good video. I kept wanting to straighten out his hat... I guess I have been watching too many Monk reruns.

Posted April 5, 2013 link

Haha. I really enjoy this guy (probably because I'm younger). He's responsive on the Verve Facebook page--name's Baca. I think he might have been behind Verve's 1&1: A split shot with one espresso and one macchiato as one menu item. I think that's pretty cool. I'd like to serve something like that on my menu if I open a cafe. I'd also like to have two or three grinders on duty and serve a sampling of origins. I think some places already do this. Not only would it be cool and fun, but talk about another way to bring some revenue, huh? I'm just interested the 1&1 is a macchiato considering the difficulty of steaming such a small amount of milk. A place here in town says they have to oversteam and waste unless they get another order at the same time for a milk drink. Hmm
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie

Posted Fri May 3, 2013, 11:50am

I steam 3-4 oz of milk every day twice a day.  It is hard to do such small amounts with good micro foam and most places just waste the milk rather than change the way they do it. There is very small margin for error on such a tiny amount.  Like wasting a shot when they need a single rather than pulling a single because of the changes to grind/basket needed.  When I make 2 at the same time on the weekend I often mess up my foam because I am not used to doing 8oz any more.  I started out drinking much more milk than I do now.

I thought he was good, I just was kidding about his hat.

Coffeenoobie

showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Latte Art > Best Milk...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.242055892944)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+