Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Latte Art and Etching
Taking the first steps, feedback?
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Latte Art > Taking the first...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
Author Messages
glcoffee

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Izzo Alex II
Grinder: Vario
Drip: Hario V60
Posted Wed Mar 14, 2012, 2:40pm
Subject: Taking the first steps, feedback?

I'm using an Izzo Alex II and on the steaming arm, I have reverted back to its two hole tip (more on this later).    

I am using a ss 20oz frothing cup with cold organic whole milk.  Sadly, the photo attached is the best latte art I've done do date (was going for a leaf, but didn't work out).

When frothing, I have the pitched filled halfway, valve half open and  am doing everything by sound and touch.   I normally stretch until warm-hot and stop when it gets too hot to touch.  Any advice on how I can improve?

For beans, I am using 4 day old dark roast Sumatra, grounded fresh from my Vario.

March 2012:
http://www.coffeegeek.com/images/56957/cc1.jpg

--------------------------

Feb. 2013, 11 months later:
http://i.imgur.com/EvI73l9.jpg

I am still trying to perfect a Rosetta.

glcoffee: cc1.jpg
(Click for larger image)

“Some day you will be old enough to start reading fairy tales again.”
C.S. Lewis, The World's Last Night
------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------
I am Taiwanese.
 View Profile Link to this post
StereoHeathen

Expertise: Pro Barista

Grinder: "Starbucks" Baratza Maestro
Drip: Bee House, Clever
Posted Wed Mar 14, 2012, 7:45pm
Subject: Re: Taking the first steps, feedback?

For great microfoam, generally you'll stop stretching when the milk is about body temperature (when it feels neither hot nor cold) and continue "rolling" the milk with the tip submerged until it is too hot to comfortably hold.

If you continue stretching the milk up into the 100s of degrees you'll tend to get larger bubbles, or milk that is not smooth but visually grainy.

It looks like you've got a fair start at pouring a heart, though, it's not bad at all. It definitely looks more cappuccino than latte style, and the amount of foam in your milk will determine to some extent what the best way to pour art is (cappuccino generally being faster, so the foam doesn't blob out or white out the entire surface of your drink).

The best way I learned how to pour latte art was really just watching videos on youtube. Not instructional videos, but just videos of people pouring art. That way you get a sense of technique, pitcher position, where to start and where to end your design, etc. Just sort of, how the process really looks.

That said, practice is the only way to get any good at it. But once you figure it out, it's a bit of an "aha!" moment. Because once you can do it, you can do it, and the only thing left is to get better.
glcoffee

Posted Thu Mar 15, 2012, 9:45am

StereoHeathen Said:

For great microfoam, generally you'll stop stretching when the milk is about body temperature (when it feels neither hot nor cold) and continue "rolling" the milk with the tip submerged until it is too hot to comfortably hold.

If you continue stretching the milk up into the 100s of degrees you'll tend to get larger bubbles, or milk that is not smooth but visually grainy.

It looks like you've got a fair start at pouring a heart, though, it's not bad at all. It definitely looks more cappuccino than latte style, and the amount of foam in your milk will determine to some extent what the best way to pour art is (cappuccino generally being faster, so the foam doesn't blob out or white out the entire surface of your drink).

The best way I learned how to pour latte art was really just watching videos on youtube. Not instructional videos, but just videos of people pouring art. That way you get a sense of technique, pitcher position, where to start and where to end your design, etc. Just sort of, how the process really looks.

That said, practice is the only way to get any good at it. But once you figure it out, it's a bit of an "aha!" moment. Because once you can do it, you can do it, and the only thing left is to get better.

Posted March 14, 2012 link

Thanks for the great tips and encouraging words. I will try with a digital thermo tonight then report back.

------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------
I am Taiwanese.
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Fri Mar 16, 2012, 9:02am

StereoHeathen Said:

This method is perfect and requires no thermometer - digital or otherwise.  In fact, since I adopted this technique, I've re-assigned one of my thermometers to measuring the temperature in my wine cabinet and given the other one away.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
Gig103

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Drip: French press!
Posted Sun Mar 18, 2012, 10:22pm

StereoHeathen Said:

I'm going to try this tomorrow night, because watching Youtube, the one thing I couldn't tell was when to stop stretching.

I will ask questions that I think I know the answer to, because I don't want to waste my time if I'm way off.
1) To stretch the milk I put the tip just below the surface and get that occassional slurp-slurp sound which is adding air to the milk
2) When you say "submerge the tip" you mean all the way down so even as it rolls there is no air reaching the tip?
thedotben
thedotben
Expertise: Pro Barista

Posted Mon Mar 19, 2012, 11:13am

Gig103 Said:

I'm going to try this tomorrow night, because watching Youtube, the one thing I couldn't tell was when to stop stretching.

I will ask questions that I think I know the answer to, because I don't want to waste my time if I'm way off.
1) To stretch the milk I put the tip just below the surface and get that occassional slurp-slurp sound which is adding air to the milk
2) When you say "submerge the tip" you mean all the way down so even as it rolls there is no air reaching the tip?

Posted March 18, 2012 link

1. Well, it shouldn't be so much of a "slurp-slurp" sound, as at "tsst-tsst." But yes, start with the tip just below the surface, and lower your pitcher just slightly enough so that you get that short, staccato sound that indicates that you are adding air to the milk. Do this until about 80-100 degrees. Then you will move on to step two.

2. When you submerge that tip after you have finished introducing air, you just barely raise your pitcher so that the tip is just BARELY covered by milk, so that you stop adding air. The entire steam wand is hot, and if you submerge it completely, you will scald the milk, even if your final temperature is below 170 degrees.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Gig103

Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: Baratza Vario
Drip: French press!
Posted Mon Mar 19, 2012, 1:38pm

thedotben Said:

Well, it shouldn't be so much of a "slurp-slurp" sound, as at "tsst-tsst." But yes, start with the tip just below the surface, and lower your pitcher just slightly enough so that you get that short, staccato sound that indicates that you are adding air to the milk. Do this until about 80-100 degrees. Then you will move on to step two.

When you submerge that tip after you have finished introducing air, you just barely raise your pitcher so that the tip is just BARELY covered by milk, so that you stop adding air. The entire steam wand is hot, and if you submerge it completely, you will scald the milk, even if your final temperature is below 170 degrees.

Posted March 19, 2012 link

Thanks!
MisterJohnnyT

Grinder: Compak K3 Touch
Posted Fri Mar 23, 2012, 12:37pm

@OP:  I start out with a room-temp pitcher and only fill it no more than 1/3rd.  This leaves space for you to double the volume of the milk and still be able to swirl it around without spillage.  When you are done steaming, gently tap the edge of the pitcher on your counter to help break up the larger air bubbles, and then swirl it around for a bit similar to how you would with red wine.  I usually get the basket packed/tamped and then steam the milk.  While the shot is pulling, I am swirling the steamed milk.  As soon as the shot is done, the milk is right there ready for art.

SeattleCoffeeGear has a good video or two on youtube or their homepage.

Keep in mind, I'm not an expert, only have about 4 months experience.
glcoffee

Posted Thu Sep 20, 2012, 1:58pm

...and 6 months later

glcoffee: photo01.jpg
(Click for larger image)

I am Taiwanese.
glcoffee

Posted Thu Sep 20, 2012, 1:59pm

one more...

glcoffee: photo02.jpg
(Click for larger image)

I am Taiwanese.
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Latte Art > Taking the first...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.304037094116)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+