Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Latte Art and Etching
Steaming observation on my NS Oscar
Barista Tools
Large selection of tampers, pitchers, milk frothers and much more!
www.espressozone.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Latte Art > Steaming...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 3 first page previous page
Author Messages
djmitchella

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Sat Dec 8, 2012, 7:14pm
Subject: Re: Steaming observation on my NS Oscar

One thing to try is to understeam the milk -- I find that (especially with the stock tip) I got milk that was too thick ten times as often as I got milk that's too thin, and it's a useful comparison to see what the results are that way. Until you can get the milk to the right texture, you will have an awful time making art, and for me at least, I got it too thick an awful lot of the time.

As for pouring technique, there's lots of videos on youtube -- some of them are in slow motion, which helps with the details -- what I do, for what it's worth, is:

1. cup starts at about 30 degrees from horizontal

2. pour from high up (about a foot above the surface), straight down into the center of the cup, until the coffee is pretty close to overflowing (cup still tipped, so there's spare room left). You need to be high up so that the cup fills up but the milk goes through the surface and doesn't start to leave a pattern yet.

3. now, all at once, flatten the cup out, bring the jug down to the surface of the coffee so the milk starts floating, keep pouring, and start wiggling from side to side a bit. As someone else mentioned, keep pouring fast -- that's what pushes the milk away from where you're pouring, to make the bottom leaves of the rosetta

4. at 'the right time' (I'm not sure when this is, but about when there's enough bottom leaves, I guess), slow the pour down a bit and start moving back towards the other side of the cup, to make the 'stem' of the rosetta.

5. when you get to the far side of the cup, lift the jug back up high, again and draw a thin line through back to the other side.

I think that's roughly right as far as basic technique goes, but there a lot of little subtle details of timing and amount of flow,and getting those reliably right is difficult.
 View Profile Link to this post
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Sun Dec 9, 2012, 12:06pm

Thank you for that.  I will give it a try.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie

Posted Wed Feb 13, 2013, 7:36pm

Steam wand mod is making a world of difference.  Just you wait till I get a good pour.

Coffeenoobie

Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie

Posted Mon Feb 18, 2013, 1:32pm

djmitchella
You advice about starting higher helped my too much background white problem.  Thanks.

Coffeenoobie

Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie

Posted Tue Feb 19, 2013, 10:15am

Now that steaming is less difficult with the lever instead of the knob, I am able to steam and pull at the same time.  I still have got a bit more foam than I want for latte art but the foam is so much smoother.  Oscar had the power and now it has the control.

Coffeenoobie

showing page 3 of 3 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Latte Art > Steaming...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
100% Organic Guate Coffee
Temblor is a very smooth Guatemalan coffee that presents notes of spice, cinnamon, and chocolate.
www.thelostgringo.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.230602025986)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+