Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Latte Art and Etching
Steaming observation on my NS Oscar
Italian Biscotti Cookies
Premium artisan quality Italian Biscotti cookies. Many flavors!
www.espressozone.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Latte Art > Steaming...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
Author Messages
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Tue Aug 28, 2012, 8:36am
Subject: Steaming observation on my NS Oscar

Steaming observation at the latte art class I had this weekend. I used a 3 group NS machine after attempting to get microfoam on NS Oscar and I could not get the turbulence in the pitcher that I saw in the larger machine.  I thought about turning my pstat back up but I am pretty sure I still did not get that much disturbance in the force, I mean milk.  After much thought, I got out the smaller pitcher (holds about 6 oz half full and 12 at the brim) I picked up on a whim at goodwill and I believe this is the ticket.  I have to stop steaming a lot faster as the smaller volume of milk is heating faster than my digital thermometer can respond.  But it was a very pretty microfoam and it was closer to the speed of milk steaming of the larger machines.  Oscar can do lovely cappa foams in the large pitcher but I think to get easy microfoam I need the small one.  It is much easier to get a strong vortex with the smaller pitcher.  I can't ever seem to get a good vortex with the larger one.  Even with the large espro pitcher I was not really happy with the vortex.  I guess I need to get a smaller one of those as well.

updated with measurements.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
NobbyR
NobbyR
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Poccino Opus One, Ariete
Grinder: Eureka Mignon Istantaneo
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Melitta Linea Unica de Luxe
Roaster: N/A
Posted Tue Aug 28, 2012, 10:59pm
Subject: Re: Steaming observation on my NS Oscar

Your experience shows that the size of the pitcher has to correlate with the steaming power of the machine. As a rule of thumb one might say that the bigger the boiler is the more steam it'll produce. Your Oscar should be able to handle a 500 ml milk pitcher.

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
 View Profile Link to this post
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie

Posted Wed Aug 29, 2012, 8:41am

I am sure a pro could make microfoam in a large pitcher on Oscar.  And he can heat the 20 oz espro and I can make microfoam in it.  But not as consistently easy to get the vortex at the end.  Especially if the stretching puts the milk in the narrow part of the neck. But to use the reg pitchers and make easy microfoam I am suggesting a tiny one- this one, when filled to just where the spout starts is 6 oz.  It is about 12oz at the brim. I am not sure what size the pros would call that, I just measured water in it to post numbers.

Coffeenoobie

e53er
e53er
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: NS Oscar, Solis SL90
Grinder: Mazzer Mini, Solis Maestro
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos
Drip: KMB, Hario V60 dripper
Roaster: Poppery II
Posted Thu Aug 30, 2012, 9:52am

Could you describe your technique? Are you stretching with the wand at the center of the pitcher, moving it off to the side for the vortex? I have both small and large pitchers but the quality of the microfoam is about the same.
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie

Posted Thu Aug 30, 2012, 5:14pm

Yes, I am sorta in the center for the stretching maybe not dead centered.  I then move to the side for votex and tip the pitcher.  I am not saying I can't get a vortex with the big one, it just takes a while for me to get all the milk moving and I run out of time. (i.e. it gets to hot)  So, because I am not getting a strong vortex the whole time I end up with a good foam but not all of it is the smooth micro.  And if I mess up really bad it is a very nice wet fluffy egg foam.  If I am really not on my game I get a very nice smooth dry cappa foam that stands up nicely and I could top a lemon pie with.  I really think this wand/tip is best at making those cappa foams.  I am not talking about ending up with large soap bubbles I am talking a nice but not micro foam.  Yes, I am a bit of a perfectionist... I should be happy with my nice foams but damnit, I want to make latte ART!

Coffeenoobie

Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie

Posted Thu Aug 30, 2012, 5:16pm

I can probably make a video this weekend if husband holds the camera for me so you guys can give me advice.

Coffeenoobie

frank828

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: GS3
Grinder: RoburE, Kenia
Vac Pot: Hario
Drip: Brazen, CCD, Aeropress, V60,...
Roaster: Behmor, Air Crazy
Posted Thu Aug 30, 2012, 6:25pm

I've been working on my steaming and I'm pretty much going through the same issues that you are.  I haven't been able to make any good microfoam either.
 View Profile Link to this post
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie

Posted Sat Sep 1, 2012, 11:43am

Ok I am going to post a photo of the world's sadist rosette but it is a quantum leap forward from anything else I was able to do.  I made a pretty good heart for my husband's coffee right before this one. Disclamer: I had to run to the back of the house with the cup to show my husband then find the camera so it looked a bit better before the travel time...

Coffeenoobie: rosette.jpg
(Click for larger image)

Coffeenoobie

hotwasabipeas
hotwasabipeas
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: NS Oscar
Grinder: KitchenAid ProLine
Drip: Keurig Vue, B70,Tassimo T65,...
Roaster: Wear Ever Popcorn Pumper...
Posted Sat Sep 1, 2012, 8:43pm

Hey Noobie are you using the original steam tip?  I bought the reduced-pressure tip from Chris' Coffee and it's working well for me with my small 12 oz. pitcher.  I can get microfoam pretty much every time I steam but my pouring skills aren't great yet and I haven't been able to get an amazing rosetta.  Hearts and apples are easier for me.   Also I think my cups are too wide and shallow, compared to a typical cappuccino/latte cup,  and they are too big for the amount of milk that I use so I can't get the microfoam to start forming in the cup early in my pour.  I tend to run out of microfoam so my rosettas tend to look less full than what is expected.   Here's what my typical "rosetta" looks like:

hotwasabipeas: 003.JPG
(Click for larger image)

Please visit my website!

www.planetwasabi.com
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie

Posted Sat Sep 1, 2012, 10:19pm

I have both tips but the original has the chrome striped off from bad cleaning.  I use Chris' tip.  I was under the impression that they recommended a wide cup with a rounded bottom for art.  I found a cup that fit that at goodwill for a $1.  I did not know at the time it was a vintage collectible.  New Castle PA Shenango cup that was made for dinners so they are very well made and durable.  I believe mine is from the 50's.  I bought 3 more off ebay I thought would match but I think they are newer and less aesthetically pleasing.  They are thicker with a chunky rim.  But they hold the heat, can take a beating and they still have the rounded bottom.

Your foam looks smoother without the random large bubbles that mine has.  You could try a smaller pitcher and report back what you think.  The instructor said to almost dump the milk in, I was going too slow and holding back.

Coffeenoobie

showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Latte Art > Steaming...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.249536037445)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+