Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Latte Art and Etching
I can't roll
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Latte Art > I can't roll  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
Burd
Burd
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia PID'd
Grinder: Nuova Simonelli MCF
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: Cuisinart Grind & Brew...
Roaster: Behmor + i-Roast
Posted Sun Sep 16, 2012, 9:14am
Subject: I can't roll

I can stretch just fine with no large bubbles however for the life of me I can't get the milk rolling to texture it.  I am only folding the milk so all the nice foam doesn't get mixed in.  If someone could show me a photo of an empty pitcher with the steam wand in the right position/angle for rolling or a link to a photo like that. For some reason I just can't nail the right wand position and angle.  

Thanks,

Alex
 View Profile Link to this post
steven_meyer

Espresso: Alex Duetto 3.0, ECM  Giotto...
Grinder: HG-One, Mahlkonig K-30 vario
Posted Sun Sep 16, 2012, 9:39am
Subject: Re: I can't roll

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-q2xH1i3ByU
BrianNelson

Espresso: Pasquini Livia 90
Grinder: Breville
Posted Sun Sep 16, 2012, 5:41pm

Very good video, I'll give that a wand method a try too.  I've been starting with the tip just below the surface and lowering it down gradually, keeping the milk in a whirlpool, and closing the valve at around 130 deg. F per my thermometer to get a pleasing temperature.

I also modified the wand tip so there is only one hole open instead of 4.

Just one thing about the video that would be helpful to me--for demonstration purposes, to use a glass cup.  That would show the mixture and proportions of milk/coffee to aim for.
Burd
Burd

Posted Sun Sep 16, 2012, 6:28pm

A glass cup would be great! Good idea.  I see that same thing in every video but for the life of me I can't seem to get it in the right place.  I have the 1 hole tip already on it.  I think I may try my 20oz pitcher instead of my 12 oz.  It seems with the small one I get it spinning and it wants to jump out of the pitcher and splash all over.  With the small one if I put in 4 oz of milk by the time I stretch it and start to roll it wants to jump out of the pitcher and spill all over since it's so close to the top.  So maybe without knowing it I have been retarding the rolling to keep it in the pitcher.  I think the 20oz one will give me more room for error as well.  This is all new since I used to have a Gaggia and steaming was much different and not nearly as fast and violent as it is now.  It may still not be a HX or DB machine with oodles of steam but it sure is a large jump from what I was using and seems likes an endless amount to work with.

I just walked in the door and fired it up.  Gonna go practice with the idea I got off the Tube....pitcher of water with a drop of soap in it.  I can practice all day like this without spending a fortune on milk.  I'll be sure to update my success.

Just one thing about the video that would be helpful to me--for demonstration purposes, to use a glass cup.  That would show the mixture and proportions of milk/coffee to aim for.

If you find a video like that please let me know because I would love to see it also.
Burd
Burd

Posted Sun Sep 16, 2012, 8:04pm

Well it seems a whole bunch easier to get it rolling with a larger pitcher in my case.  The soap water combo was silky smooth all the way through.  It started to come out very nice after some practice.  Looks like that's what my next step is...practice, and lots of it.
Nettaiya

Posted Sun Sep 23, 2012, 1:03pm

I actually had trouble with the larger pitchers because it was using way too much milk. The 12oz motta pitcher was easiest, I tried the espro torid pitcher but since my steam wand has a angle to it I could not make the wand go straight down into the pitcher as the directions showed.

The best tip I found on the forums was using organic whole milk, once I did that it was way easier to make microfoam.
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Sat Sep 29, 2012, 10:09am

I had a lot of rolling problems also. What helped was with less milk in a smaller pitcher.  I have made vast improvements in the last 4-6 weeks since I figured that out.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Wed Oct 3, 2012, 8:33am

Burd, I'm wondering what version Silvia you're using?  If it's an older version, do you have the articulatiing wand.  If not, I'd highly recommend that upgrade.  I ran an old Silvia for about 8 years and only a few months before upgrading to my duetto DB machine, did I do the articulating wand mod, and man...I sure wished I had done it sooner.  I also use Motta Europa pitchers.  One key to not splashing over the sides is using the correct amount of milk to the pitcher.  

It sounds like you're getting your roll down....great news.  It it helps at all, I used to rotate the wand to the right about 30 degrees from straght out over the drip tray (front to back), then pull it up about 30 degrees.  Looking down at the pitcher, the tip would sit at about 7-8 o'clock, about 1/2 inch towards the center from the pitcher wall.  I'm trying to remember now if I held the pitcher bottom parallel to the counter or tilted away from me?

Funny, you mention the huge reduction in time to play with the milk when going from the Classic to the Silvia.  I had a similar experience going from the Sivia to the Duetto.

Regarding milk, organic is great and is all I use, but cows have different diets at different times of the year and the milk industry has a method of mixing in stored milk or proteins or something like that (clearly, beyond my level of knowledge) to maintain "consistency" throughout the year.  Sometimes, you just have to change brands.  I learned this from two-time US barista champ, Heather Perry (who has relatives in the milk industry).  See if there are local coffee geeks who've played around with the different brands of milk available in your area.  There have actually been posts on here about this.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
Burd
Burd

Posted Fri Oct 12, 2012, 7:12pm

I'm using a V3 so I have the sexy wand :)  I still can't nail the foam.  Right when I thought I was getting closer....well I wasn't.  I am going back to square one with the 12oz pitcher this time.  Does it matter that it is a no frills pitcher?  I see some pitchers that are fool proof for rolling/foaming but I want to learn the correct technique not have it foam for me.  Is there a pitcher that needs skill but "lends a hand" in learning?
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Sat Oct 13, 2012, 1:26pm

they're a bit expensive, but I've loved my Motta Europas since I got them (back when I still had my Silvia).

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Latte Art > I can't roll  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.22288608551)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+