Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Latte Art and Etching
Tulips
Quick Mill Andreja
Best bang for the buck in E-61 Espresso Machines.  In stock, free shipping, 2 yr warranty!
cupandbrew.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Latte Art > Tulips  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
TriHard
TriHard
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Rocket R58
Grinder: Compak K10 Fresh
Posted Tue Jun 5, 2012, 6:02am
Subject: Tulips

Hi Everyone,

I recently upgraded from a Saeco Barista to a Rocket Cellini. I was able to make reasonable microfoam with the Barista albeit very slowly, and now with the Rocket I am making it much faster!  But, even though my microfoam is pretty good and I can pour a decent rosetta and heart, I can't seem to make a tulip or any design which requires stopping and starting of the pour.

I typically use Horizon 1% milk because I have found it to be the best 1% milk for foaming, and I think it is a pretty reasonable compromise between having enough fat to make a good drink and not so much as to be too unhealthy. My question: is anyone out there able to create good microfoam with 1% milk in which they can pour tulips (i.e. start/stop start/stop of the pour)? I have used different milk pitchers but do not think that is an issue. I used to think it was just that my Barista machine could only do so much with respect to microfoam, but even with the more powerful Rocket, the microfoam doesn't seem very different.  Any thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks!
 View Profile Link to this post
thedotben
thedotben
Expertise: Pro Barista

Posted Mon Jun 11, 2012, 9:31am
Subject: Re: Tulips

I'm able to pour tulips with low-grade skim milk, so I would imagine that you should be able to pour with a nice 1%.

I find that since the foam separates more with the lower-fat milks that I have to pour the art quicker overall. Sometimes I steam my milk a little later than usual, so that the shots are already ready and I can start pouring sooner after I finish steaming my milk.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
TriHard
TriHard
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Rocket R58
Grinder: Compak K10 Fresh
Posted Tue Jun 12, 2012, 6:29am

Thanks for the response -- I knew there had to be people doing it!

Any advice on steaming?  How long (to what temp) do you stretch your milk? What kind/brand of pitcher are you using?

thedotben Said:

I'm able to pour tulips with low-grade skim milk, so I would imagine that you should be able to pour with a nice 1%.

I find that since the foam separates more with the lower-fat milks that I have to pour the art quicker overall. Sometimes I steam my milk a little later than usual, so that the shots are already ready and I can start pouring sooner after I finish steaming my milk.

Posted June 11, 2012 link

chrisming

Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Tue Jul 31, 2012, 11:47pm

I use an Espro Toroid.  I think it's great.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Latte Art > Tulips  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
LavAzza Espresso Machines
Awesome capsule espresso machines. Perfect for home, office and restaurant applications.
www.espressozone.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.20446896553)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+