Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Latte Art and Etching
Good looking coffee's with cheap machines!
LavAzza Espresso Machines
Awesome capsule espresso machines. Perfect for home, office and restaurant applications.
www.espressozone.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Latte Art > Good looking...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
Beangod
Beangod
Expertise: Pro Barista

Posted Tue Mar 27, 2012, 6:15pm
Subject: Good looking coffee's with cheap machines!

DeLonghi ECO310

Initially when I got this thing I didn't think it was possible to get the milk right, plus theres some sort of fake-crema device which gives a fairly solid top for the shot. I had to play with it a fair bit but I finally managed to make a decent looking coffee.

Anyway this thread's for those of you that manage to do something with lower end machines(bad/weak steamwands, dodgy shots)!

Beangod: 120328-1115.JPG
(Click for larger image)
 View Profile Link to this post
CuppJ

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Thu Apr 19, 2012, 2:48am
Subject: Re: Good looking coffee's with cheap machines!

Hi BeanGod,

I recently bought an ECO310.B, I'm having difficult times making microfoam... It seems that u got the microfoam right to make an decent art. May I ask what milk do you use and how did you manage to make microfoam with this machine??

CJ =]
jmrmotorhead

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Delognhi ec310
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Roaster: Popery 2
Posted Sun Apr 22, 2012, 3:04pm

Bean- Great looking cup!
I too have the eco310 and honestly, paired with a good grinder you can get great espresso out of this. I have a baratza preciso, and after depressurizing the portafilter I get good shots on a consistent basis. Frothing was MUCH more difficult to learn on this machine than on my old "steam toy". I have found that removing the outer sleeve on the nozzle is the only way to get good results like yours. With the portafilter depressurized, the crema is much thicker and more stable, and pours are much easier. I have posted my journey on my blog here
Matt
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
bittersweet101

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Sun May 13, 2012, 3:49am

Good for you. Itís really a great deal if something inexpensive does what you donít expect it to doÖ 
epengr
epengr
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: NS Oscar
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Posted Tue May 15, 2012, 11:24am

Okay, I'll bite.   I just reached the point where I can get latte art quality textured out of my modified BAR32 a couple of weeks ago, and I'm obviously still learning to pour, but I have had some reasonable successes.  

Consistently great espresso is still eluding me, but I've decided not to put any effort into fine tuning that until my NS Oscar arrives,  since I'd be starting over anyways.

Keep in mind, these are little tiny (proper) 6oz double cappuccinos, which I think makes the art pretty tricky since the pour happens FAST.  I decided early on that I would only pour what I (or someone) would drink, and not waste anything for the sake of practice.  Cap's what I drink so cap's what I pour... :)

This is the first cup I ever saw any contrast in, and my GF decided to etch it :):

epengr: photo 1.JPG
(Click for larger image)
epengr
epengr

Posted Tue May 15, 2012, 11:24am

And...

epengr: photo 2.JPG
(Click for larger image)
epengr
epengr

Posted Tue May 15, 2012, 11:28am

And finally,

epengr: photo 3.JPG
(Click for larger image)
danozdirect

Expertise: Pro Barista

Posted Fri May 25, 2012, 12:04am

Love it! I've been using cheap machines all my life, and there is no reason why you can't produce some decent art :D
microb

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Saeco Aroma w/ Naked...
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Thu May 31, 2012, 8:05am

Hi!

I'm struggling making a good-looking shot with my Saeco Aroma.

Getting the milk right is part of the problem; frothing is difficult. I've read somewhere that removing the 3-holed cap would help, but I couldn't make it work... It looks like it's not powerful enough - anyone can comment?

I also know that my grinder is not good enough; I have a Breville and at the smallest grind it still is to coarse... Shots go through in less than 20 seconds - they pale in the first 10 seconds. But they still produce crema even though I removed the pressure gadget in the PF (BTW, this makes a huge difference in the taste and texture - positively).

If I ever manage to pull a good-looking one with these tools, I'll let you know! (I can't affort a better grinder/machine these days).

If anyone has hints because they think it's possible, please contribute :)

Michel
jakeapeters

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia v3
Grinder: Mahlkonig Vario
Vac Pot: Aerobie Aeropress
Posted Mon Jun 11, 2012, 1:28pm

I've got the DeLonghi ECO310.R, and struggled at first to get decent foam etc.

I stripped out the pressurisation in the basket, which improved shots. Also, experimented with extraction by making a naked portafilter, with which I can make a much more full-bodied and richer shot.

I can actually make acceptable microfoam now even with the panarello, but have better results by using my altered panarello which I've hollowed out and blocked up the air inductor at the top. Steam power is definitely limited like this, but I can get a better quality foam eventually that way (taking care not to burn up my boiler). I've got details of my mods here

I think it just takes a lot of patience to get it right!

As it happens, I've got good enough at making shots with it now that I've gotten bored and now upgrading to a Silvia/Vario combo which will arrive this week.

PS: this is my first post, I hope I haven't broken any of the rules :/
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Latte Art > Good looking...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.247892141342)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+