Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Latte Art and Etching
Espro Toroid 12oz pitcher,help!
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Latte Art > Espro Toroid...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
Author Messages
Butterfinger_414
Butterfinger_414
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Quickmill Andreja
Grinder: Mazzer Major
Posted Sun Apr 1, 2012, 2:52pm
Subject: Espro Toroid 12oz pitcher,help!

Is there a secret to this pitcher,because I had no luck to create a micro foam no matter what I've tried,it always thick foam on top of it if not no foam at all,I'm using a ECM Giotto with 2 holes tips,please help....
 View Profile Link to this post
IMAWriter
IMAWriter
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, Preciso/Esatto, KyM...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600, CO/UFO combo
Posted Sun Apr 1, 2012, 7:27pm
Subject: Re: Espro Toroid 12oz pitcher,help!

Butterfinger_414 Said:

Is there a secret to this pitcher,because I had no luck to create a micro foam no matter what I've tried,it always thick foam on top of it if not no foam at all,I'm using a ECM Giotto with 2 holes tips,please help....

Posted April 1, 2012 link

Well, I have bot5h the 12 and 20oz pitchers, and actually reviewed them a long while back here on CG.

Like all pitchers, I find the milk itself to be somewhat critical. I get my best results with 2% organic, and even better with organic whole milk...but not EVERY brand!!

As for milk, though branded (Horizon, etc...which BTW I can't steam well) can actually come from several different dairy farms, there can sometimes be inconsistency.

Fill your pitcher just to the bottom of the juncture of the spout...no higher. I find the 12oz pitcher works best this way, no more, no less.
Then purge your wand of any residual liquid, till only steam emerges. I recommend the wand be submerged with the valve closed, then slowly open..once opened slowly raise the wand till the tip is just below the surface. First, try keeping the pitcher level, not tip sideways towards the machine.
See if you see the vortex/funnel sort of thing. Stretch till you've increased the milk volume maybe 1/3, then immerse the wand about 1/2 way down till the pitcher feels a bit uncomfortable to your hand as you grip the bottom.
Turn of the steam valve, THEN lower the pitcher. (Then clean your wand, after first purging the wand to release any milk on the tip!)

Of course, make sure your machine is nice and hot, and has had at least 30-40 minutes of warmup.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Butterfinger_414
Butterfinger_414

Posted Sun Apr 1, 2012, 9:03pm

thanks for the tip,I've been looking through youtube regarding this kind of pitcher how they steam there milk,and by the i am using a 2% keeps milk here in milwaukee.

Brent *_*
jwoodyu
jwoodyu

Espresso: Allex Duetto II
Roaster: Poppery
Posted Mon Apr 2, 2012, 5:42am

My beef with them is how the pour. If your stretching to a temperature try stretching by volume as Rob suggested. I actually don't fill mine as much as what it sounds like he does because of waste using my 6oz cups. The smaller the volume of milk the finer the line between micro foam and a "marshmallow" especially if your machine has some grunt when it comes to steaming.

Yes I put the BDB and CC1 in the same class, yes i have a reason for leaving SCG off my list, yes it is my opinion, yes it is subjective as opinions are by definition, no don't start a flame war because you disagree.
slybarman
slybarman

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Posted Mon Apr 9, 2012, 1:53pm

IMAWriter Said:

Like all pitchers, I find the milk itself to be somewhat critical. I get my best results with 2% organic, and even better with organic whole milk...but not EVERY brand!!.

Posted April 1, 2012 link

This so so true - and I have found there can even be inconsistency from one gallon to the next within the same brand. I bought a gallon of 2% lactaid milk lately of a brand I have had good luck with in the past. The milk from this particular gallon would not make microfoam no matter what I did to it. Went to the store and bough some 2% lactaid milk of another brand and no problems.

OP: With regard to the Espro, it sounds like you are stretching for too long if you are getting stiff foam on top. I typically only stretch for a few seconds and then submerge the steam tip until 125.
21grams
21grams

Espresso: Wish List SLAYER, SYNESSO,...
Grinder: Mazzer Robur-E, Mazzer...
Drip: HARIO- Cold Drip, CHEMEX
Roaster: FLUID BED
Posted Thu Apr 19, 2012, 11:23pm

I purchased mine approx: 18 months ago & gave them away to my friends 6 mths ago. ( 12oz & 20oz )

Just did not like them, that is with low & high steam pressure....and different type's of milk.
Butterfinger_414
Butterfinger_414

Posted Thu Apr 19, 2012, 11:54pm

so guys anyrecommendation for a type of pitcher to used for steaming milk,I'm leaning toward for a motta pitcher any thoughts?

Brent *_*
IMAWriter
IMAWriter

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, Preciso/Esatto, KyM...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600, CO/UFO combo
Posted Fri May 11, 2012, 10:51pm

jwoodyu Said:

My beef with them is how the pour. If your stretching to a temperature try stretching by volume as Rob suggested. I actually don't fill mine as much as what it sounds like he does because of waste using my 6oz cups. The smaller the volume of milk the finer the line between micro foam and a "marshmallow" especially if your machine has some grunt when it comes to steaming.

Posted April 2, 2012 link

Because my Cremina's updated steam wand, the pressure (at .85) is still too much, so. like you, I've cut back the milk. Helps some, but would love to have a 2 hole tip for the small pitcher.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
iflutist

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Sun May 13, 2012, 10:43am

Anyone tried the Milk to Perfection jug?  Trying to decide on one or the other (Toroid) wishing there is a way I can try them before I buy!!!

It seems like one of these could be easier to get some consistent microfoam on with a lot of steam power (than I am used to)!
civic4982

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia
Grinder: Fiorenzato T/80.A
Drip: Cuisinart DCC-2000
Posted Sun May 27, 2012, 7:21pm

I have more trouble with consistency of my milking when using my toroid than with my other rather plain pitcher both of which are the same size.

I agree with the above poster who says filling the milk to the spout seems to be the perfect amount.
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Latte Art > Espro Toroid...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Saeco Espresso Machines
Large selection in-stock, includes Free Gifts and Free Shipping!
www.espressozone.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.276111841202)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+