Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Latte Art and Etching
Shape of pitcher really a factor?
Craft Roasted Coffee
Some days you make the coffee. Other days the coffee makes you.
bit.ly/craftroasting-ks

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Latte Art > Shape of pitcher...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
doodle

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Lelit PL41EM
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Posted Mon Mar 5, 2012, 8:19pm
Subject: Shape of pitcher really a factor?

Hi all! I've been working on my latte pours for quite a while now and making only incremental improvements. I have a Lelit, and I've been following all the usual instructions (stretching, sinking wand, swirling etc.) Moving to a slightly higher fat content (2% rather than skim) helped somewhat, but for months now I didn't seem to be getting any better at it. I'd occasionally get decent microfoam, but more often would get milk with a soft head on it.

Then the other day, when both of my pitchers were in the dishwasher, I used a differently-shaped one that for some reason I never used. My regular pitchers are straight-sided; this one angles out to a point around its belly (This is kind of what it looks like). To my surprise I ended up with lovely microfoam--so silky it looked, poured and tasted like thick cream--woo hoo! I've frothed with this pitcher three times now and made excellent microfoam every time.

I hate to be someone who blames her tools and am perfectly okay with admitting that my frothing technique probably still sucks, but should this change in shape make such a huge difference? And is this shape normal? I seem to find mainly straight-sided and bulbous pitchers online (I can't even remember where I got mine--I think it was a local kitchen store which has since closed.)

Ah well...Now I have to work on the art part!
 View Profile Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
cbcb

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: lelit pl41tem
Grinder: lelit pl53
Drip: starbucks
Posted Tue Mar 6, 2012, 12:05am
Subject: Re: Shape of pitcher really a factor?

I have a Lelit, and that exact pitcher, from the same store, that you linked to.  No success at all yet making microfoam.

So I can't answer your question.  But I would love it if you would describe your technique!
 View Profile Link to this post
SteveRhinehart
SteveRhinehart
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: 1970s La Pavoni Europiccola
Grinder: Baratza Vario, Hario Skerton
Vac Pot: Yama Tabletop 3-cup
Drip: Chemex, CCD, Kalita Wave,...
Roaster: Flavorwave/Stir Crazy
Posted Tue Mar 6, 2012, 4:15pm

It is somewhat a factor. Great microfoam can be made every time with a straight-walled pitcher, or a bulbous one, or a tin can - with enough practice. However, certain pitchers make the process a bit easier, apparently, depending on your approach and equipment (single hole tip vs. four hole, etc.). Bottom line is to use what you like, and what's worth the money to you.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
doodle

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Lelit PL41EM
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Posted Tue Mar 6, 2012, 8:20pm

@cbcb: That was why I never used the pitcher originally--I had no luck with it when I first got my machine, so I chucked it to the back of the cupboard and forgot about it.

I find that this pitcher seems to get a good whirlpool going more easily than my straight-sided ones. I even get a nice, almost folding-over effect if I point the wand more perpendicularly towards one of the sides. Since the Lelit's wand is so short it doesn't really go near the bottom easily, but it still seems to work out okay. The one downside in this is that I waste a bit more milk than with my usual smaller pitcher because it needs to be filled up higher.

@Steve: I do sometimes think that maybe my technique finally clicked in just as I started using the new pitcher and maybe it's all a magic feather effect! But I figure, hey, it's working so why change back?
 View Profile Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
danjed

Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Mon Jul 30, 2012, 8:16am

Yes, the shape of the pitcher can make all the difference. I think the most important phase in making microfoam is after the stretching phase when you are creating a whirlpool. Differently shaped pitchers will require different angles to create the whirlpool, but with practice you should be able to pull off microfoam with any pitcher.
jackmartindale

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Tue Aug 14, 2012, 6:26am

I think both shape and size are a factor. At my workplace, we have 2 small pitchers and 2 larger ones. They're pretty much exactly the same except the spout, which are slightly different. I don't know whether it's the quantity of milk in the pitcher that's affecting it, but generally we never use the larger ones because the milk comes out quite differently to the smaller pitchers', which is usually perfect.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Latte Art > Shape of pitcher...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.18711400032)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+