Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Latte Art and Etching
2-Hole Steam Tip - Technique?
Jebana from Ethiopia
Ultra Low Tech, for the CoffeeGeek with everything. Beautiful, and Functional too.
www.coffeeproject.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Latte Art > 2-Hole Steam Tip...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
Noonievut

Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Rocky DL
Vac Pot: Other - Aeropress, Clever,...
Posted Mon May 7, 2007, 4:26am
Subject: 2-Hole Steam Tip - Technique?

My recently purchased, used Brasilia Club, has a 2-hole steam tip.  It's not a frothing gizmo/aid, just 2 holes at the bottom of the tip.  I use to be able to get decent microfoam with my old machine, now I'm having a problem with the new machine.

I've been gently rotating the pitcher (someone posted this as a tip) but following all other instructions (tip just below the surface, no noticeable bubbles, etc.).

Any other tips?
 View Profile Link to this post
John_Manzo
John_Manzo

Espresso: Elektra Microcasa a Leva,...
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Vac Pot: none
Drip: presspot
Roaster: nada (yet)
Posted Mon May 7, 2007, 7:43am
Subject: Re: 2-Hole Steam Tip - Technique?

Noonie-

The only way I could get microfroth my mine was to plug one of the holes with a toothpick. I wasted gallons of milk on that thing.

I went to Touch of Italy (in Calgary where I bought it) and enquired about a one- or three-hole tip and they said there were none but were not sure if another company's aftermarket one would work or not- the Lady/Club has a big fat steam tube so maybe a nozzle for another pro-sumer or even professional machine would work- it's worth a shot. Maybe replacing the whole wand is possible too. But the two-whole, wide pattern just seems like a dead end without modification. I'll keep you posted at this end.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Noonievut

Posted Mon May 7, 2007, 8:35am

Thanks Furry.

I'm not too concerned as I mainly drink double espressos (which by the way are great, huge improvement from my Breville...no complaint at all).

When my wife wants a steamed milk, I then make enough so I can have a cap or a macchiatto.  Yesterday I made one and swirled the pitcher...it helped but wasn't microfoam.  I was still happy with my capp though (and she doesn't care that much).  It was also very fast at steaming.

I did carefully slide a toothpick up one of the steam tip holes and I see that it can work, but I'm not too keen on that.

P.S. I found out that A Touch of Italy (in Calgary) is the only Canadian supplier of Brasilia.  I e-mailed them last week asking if they supply parts, service, etc., but they didn't respond.  How have you found them in terms of service?
John_Manzo
John_Manzo

Posted Mon May 7, 2007, 10:49am

Try  A Roma Espresso Essentials- they are the ones who service for ATOI. I have found ATOI pretty responsive and helpful but that's because, probably, I go there in person.

I cannot find a listing for aroma (or a roma, neither seems to work) but they are definitely somewhere here!

EDIT: There they are, 403-217-0700
Noonievut

Posted Wed May 9, 2007, 4:11am

Thanks Furry.

Question for you (unrelated, sorry) - have you tried other baskets with your Club/Lady?  I can pick up Rancilio baskets (including a blind) at a store not far from me, but these are the only 58mm they sell and I don't know if they'll fit (I would think all 'commercial' 58mm should be interchangeable...but something tells me that isn't the case).

I'd prefer to pick up from this store (greenbeanery) as opposed to internet.
Noonievut

Posted Wed May 30, 2007, 4:01pm

John_Manzo Said:

The only way I could get microfroth my mine was to plug one of the holes with a toothpick. I wasted gallons of milk on that thing.

Posted May 7, 2007 link

I finally got around to plugging a hole with a toothpick and it worked...I got about 4 leaves on the rosetta and botched the rest...but that wasn't the machine's fault.

Thanks again.
Pressino

Espresso: Gaggia, QuickMill
Grinder: Gaggia MDF, Mazzer, Turkish
Drip: Chemex
Roaster: Popcorn, i-Roast2
Posted Tue Jun 12, 2007, 10:01pm

John_Manzo Said:

Noonie-

I went to Touch of Italy (in Calgary where I bought it) and enquired about a one- or three-hole tip and they said there were none but were not sure if another company's aftermarket one would work or not- the Lady/Club has a big fat steam tube so maybe a nozzle for another pro-sumer or even professional machine would work- it's worth a shot. Maybe replacing the whole wand is possible too. But the two-whole, wide pattern just seems like a dead end without modification. I'll keep you posted at this end.

Posted May 7, 2007 link

Wow, this is the best practical tip I've gotten from CG I tried it with my two-hole Andreja wand and it makes much better microfoam. I've not been able to make rosettas. but with your technique it's easy. I don't know why it works, but it does! Thanks. Your post should win some kind of prize!

Nick
cafeprune
cafeprune

Espresso: Olympia Cremina 1992
Grinder: Rocky and Zassenhaus
Drip: Aeropress
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Tue Jun 12, 2007, 10:09pm

Noonievut Said:

I finally got around to plugging a hole with a toothpick and it worked

Posted May 30, 2007 link

I was also having plenty of difficulty with my 2 hole tip on my Expobar Pulser......  ver frustrating, as I was able to make great microfoam with my older Starbucks machine.

Anyway, I didn't like the idea of plugging the hole with a toothpick - I thought this would be difficult to keep clean.  So I broke open an old calculator laying around the house, and pulled out a nice and shiny circuit board screw.  The screw thread nicely into one of the holes!  
Tried some frothing tonight - and the results were much improved.  Seems that the whole whirl-pool effect is easier to achieve.

Mike
John_Manzo
John_Manzo

Posted Fri Jun 15, 2007, 6:19pm

Pressino Said:

Wow, this is the best practical tip I've gotten from CG I tried it with my two-hole Andreja wand and it makes much better microfoam. I've not been able to make rosettas. but with your technique it's easy. I don't know why it works, but it does! Thanks. Your post should win some kind of prize!

Nick

Posted June 12, 2007 link

You just made my day!

:-)

I really think that there is something inherently "wrong" with two-hole tips, but it's not as I thought because there is something inherently wrong with an even number of holes- I'd had great experiences with my one-hole steam toy way back when and with a one-hole krups novo. Then I could not get anything close to microfoam with my Brasilia (same model as Noonie's but mine is called a "Lady") without, as I say, plugging a hole. I upgraded to an elektra leva, which has a THREE hole tip and which steams amazingly well, so I thought, maybe, odd holes good, even holes bad.

Not that simple, of course. I've had the good fortune to steam milk with both a Synesso Cyncra and a LM Linea over the past few weeks, and both have FOUR hole tips. I was intimidated as hell both times but it was dead easy to steam with the Synesso, less so with the LM but after 4 tries I had perfect microfoam (this was at a dessert cafe where the owner and I chatted about latte art, and she said, seeing as there were no customers, let's see what we can do here- it took 4 tries but that last one was pretty excellent if I do say so myself). So the problem looks to be in part the 2 holes..
Bott

Posted Fri Jun 15, 2007, 9:33pm

cafeprune Said:

I was also having plenty of difficulty with my 2 hole tip on my Expobar Pulser......  ver frustrating, as I was able to make great microfoam with my older Starbucks machine.

Anyway, I didn't like the idea of plugging the hole with a toothpick - I thought this would be difficult to keep clean.  So I broke open an old calculator laying around the house, and pulled out a nice and shiny circuit board screw.  The screw thread nicely into one of the holes!  
Tried some frothing tonight - and the results were much improved.  Seems that the whole whirl-pool effect is easier to achieve.

Mike

Posted June 12, 2007 link

Whole Latte Love has a single hole tip replacement for the Expobar.  It's cheap with free shipping.  It should look better than the toothpick.  They claim it also fits ECM, la Valentina, and Pasquini.  Not sure about the Brasilia.  It's so cheap that I would try it.  Is the Brasilia Club an E61 machine?  If it's an E61, a Rancilio basket should work.
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Latte Art > 2-Hole Steam Tip...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.292532920837)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+