Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Loving the Lelit PL53
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Loving the Lelit...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
Iluvdabean
Iluvdabean
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra/Gaggia...
Grinder: Baratza Preciso/K-A Pro...
Drip: Bonavita BV 1800 TH
Roaster: Nesco 1010/Behmor 1600
Posted Sat Jun 7, 2014, 9:45am
Subject: Loving the Lelit PL53

Picked this up from Jim at 1stline on a Fathers day deal and saved 60 bucks. I am loving it more than my Preciso.
Its one little work horse and after a year with the Preciso I love it better and its only the first day.
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Link to this post
Skylar

Espresso: lelit espresso
Grinder: lelit grinder
Vac Pot: B. D. Electric
Drip: chemex
Roaster: wok roast and popper, heat...
Posted Sat Jun 7, 2014, 10:56am
Subject: Re: Loving the Lelit PL53

Had mine for about 3+ years. No problems. It is loud and rather slow, but effective and I require minimal adjustments to get a proper grind for shots.

Sky
 View Profile Link to this post
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Sun Jun 8, 2014, 9:38am

Skylar Said:

Had mine for about 3+ years. No problems. It is loud and rather slow . . .

Posted June 7, 2014 link

Yes, well - that is why I ultimately got rid of mine.

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
boar_d_laze

Espresso: La Cimbali M21 DT/1 Junior...
Grinder: Ceado E92; "Bunnzilla"
Vac Pot: Royal Coffee Maker
Drip: Chemex + Kone; Espro Press
Roaster: USRC Sample Roaster
Posted Sun Jun 8, 2014, 11:44am

They're all great until you move to something better.  Then, not so great.  Oh well.  Sic transit and all that.  

Hope you love your LeLit for a long time,
Rich
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis

Posted Sun Jun 8, 2014, 12:14pm

boar_d_laze Said:

They're all great until you move to something better.  Then, not so great.  Oh well.  Sic transit and all that.

Posted June 8, 2014 link

LOL! How true . . . .

Iluvdabean
Iluvdabean

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra/Gaggia...
Grinder: Baratza Preciso/K-A Pro...
Drip: Bonavita BV 1800 TH
Roaster: Nesco 1010/Behmor 1600
Posted Mon Jun 9, 2014, 6:52am

If spending more money on a grinder made better coffee I would have one but in truth it doesn't. The myth that throwing large amounts of money
into a grinder will lead you to the God shot " another myth " is simple Geek folklore. Mark Prince in his review of the Baratza Preciso nailed it and in so doing
exploded the grinder myth. Now yes ,no one will argue build quality and longevity of a high priced grinder but in the cup when both are working correctly
there is no difference. Heres Marks exact quote.
"In truth, the Preciso offers the same kind of fines control that $1500, $2000 high end commercial grinders provide, and then some.
It truly is a "do it all" grinder that can replace most espresso-specific grinders under $1000"
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Link to this post
brianl

Espresso: Quick Mill Vetrano DB
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Drip: chemex
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Mon Jun 9, 2014, 7:08am

Iluvdabean Said:

If spending more money on a grinder made better coffee I would have one but in truth it doesn't. The myth that throwing large amounts of money
into a grinder will lead you to the God shot " another myth " is simple Geek folklore. Mark Prince in his review of the Baratza Preciso nailed it and in so doing
exploded the grinder myth. Now yes ,no one will argue build quality and longevity of a high priced grinder but in the cup when both are working correctly
"In truth, the Preciso offers the same kind of fines control that $1500, $2000 high end commercial grinders provide, and then some.
It truly is a "do it all" grinder that can replace most espresso-specific grinders under $1000"

Posted June 9, 2014 link

Yea, this looks like the new grinder high, ha. It'd be helpful if explained why he felt it was better.
emradguy
emradguy

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Mon Jun 9, 2014, 7:30am

Iluvdabean Said:

Posted June 9, 2014 link

I've read Mark's review.  I've also owned a slew of different grinders.  I think he's done a great service for Baratza. It woud probably serve you well to re-read the quote.  Specifically, the part about replacing most...grinders under $1k.  Consider what that leaves one the table for the Preciso being NOT good enough to replace.

I'm guessing that this is going to go nowhere other than a heated discussion of whether one is wasting money or not buying higher end grinders, and I'm truly glad you're happy enough to stick with your gear, but me...I'm going to stick with what my taste buds tell me.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis

Posted Mon Jun 9, 2014, 7:51am
Subject: Moving beyond the Lelit PL53 into a more general discussion . . .

Iluvdabean Said:

If spending more money on a grinder made better coffee I would have one but in truth it doesn't.

Posted June 9, 2014 link

No one has ever said that one MUST run out and buy a titan conical in order to have a snowball's chance of making the elusive "god shot."  Period.  (Hell, I even made a great shot of espresso once with a Krups whirly-blade "chopper."  It was the only great shot I pulled on my Pavoni in five years!)  That said, however, I will simply repeat what -- in MY experience -- has been true:  

a) upgrading my grinder has always resulted in better shots in my cup; and,
b) once I left the world of consumer SBDU machines and entered the world of prosumer/commercial HX machines, upgrades to my machines were primarily, if not exclusively, about convenience.

Now, this is not to be taken as a leap of faith.  Rather, prior to getting rid of my previous grinder -- and in some cases, I still own my previous grinder(s) -- I would have side-by-side taste tests among friends.  I would prepare two double espresso shots, each made with the same beans, on the same machine, but using different grinders.  (No, I did not weigh out the beans, nor measure the solids, etc., etc.; I prepared my drinks the way one does in the real world.)  I would then taste them.  Of course this was not a fair comparison, because I knew which shot came from which grinder, and personal bias being what it is, of course I would want my new "toy" to be better than my old one.  So, I'd do the same thing for friends, serving them the two shots and asking them if they could taste a difference between them, and if so, which they preferred.  I'd also have them pull the shots and serve them to me, so that I wouldn't know which shot was made using which grinder.

Overwhelmingly the shots made using the NEW(er) grinder were preferred over the shots using the older one.  
-- the Mazzer Mini was preferred every time over the Gaggia MDF;
-- the Cimbali Max Hybrid was preferred every time over the Mazzer Mini;
-- the Mahlkonig K30 Vario was preferred in 8 out of 10 "tests" over the Cimbali; and,
-- the Baratza Vario preferred every time over the Lelit PL53.

I am not arguing build quality.  That speaks solely to longevity of use.  And, of course, when everything is working correctly . . . let's not forget I once made a great espresso using a Krups blade grinder! . . . but what improves the odds that "everything is working correctly"?  Certainly not a whirly-gig!

/\/\/\/\/\

Meaning no disrespect, but last I heard, Mark is merely human, not God.  And he is entitled to his opinions, just as you and I are.  With more experience one gains . . . more experience!  That doesn't automatically translate into knowledge or the "rightness" of one's opinions; they remain opinions.  (Look at Robert Parker, for example!)  

In the matter at hand -- and presuming, of course, that your quote faithfully conveys the spirit of Mark's opinion -- my opinion (based upon my experience) and Mark's opinion (based upon his experience) differ.  Who's right?  Who's wrong?  No one.  These are merely different opinions, and in this specific case, I'll use my own to guide me.

CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Tue Jun 10, 2014, 11:09am

Iluvdabean Said:

Posted June 9, 2014 link

There's definitely a taste difference between a Preciso and say a Vario, and same if you go up to a Titan from the Vario. I'm def no coffee connoisseur in terms of the peeps that can taste all the nuances/flavors of a bean right down to something "taste like blueberries or strawberries", but I can easily tell a difference between the grinders. I used a K10 and Robur and it was a large difference from the already kick ass Vario, let alone my Preciso lol. I don't think it's just fines control alone, which the Preciso is great at and why you have to use something like a Vario with steel burrs or a Frankenstein Bunzilla for coarse use to get anything noticeably better.

No disrespect meant towards Mark though, not at all.
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Loving the Lelit...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.333294153214)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+