Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Delonghi burr grinder, is it good?
The Coffee Project
Home coffee Roasting equipment, green beans, and supplies
www.coffeeproject.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Delonghi burr...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Thu May 15, 2014, 12:33pm
Subject: Re: Delonghi burr grinder, is it good?

kamran Said:

I ment non-pressurized/normal ones , are hand grinders good enough for that?

Also the beans I get are already roasted!

I heart many bad reviews for delonghi grinder anyway ! Getting damaged after 3 months.... :O
I will see what happened ! Maybe get  good or handed one ;)

Posted May 15, 2014 link

A Hario Skerton with the stepless mod can make decent espresso on a regular basket machine, and you can do the stepless mod on the Hario Slim most likely with a different nut (search threads on here about the Skerton mod). Lot's of hand grinders, and a lot go for well over 100 and up, you have the HG-One at about a grand lol. The Harios are like 30-50 bucks.

About your beans there's a big difference, were they roasted 1 year ago, or same day as you orders? ;) Fresh roasted beans and ground before use is the key to good coffee. I could make better coffee on a $100 machine using a cheap hand grinder with fresh beans then a $5,000 machine using stale beans or preground.
 View Profile Link to this post
IMAWriter
IMAWriter
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600+, CO/UFO combo
Posted Fri May 16, 2014, 1:16pm

Kamran. Have your Aunt in Boston contact me...
If she pays shipping, I will send her a Porlex hand grinder that will work very well for you. You will have to turn it about 100 times for your pressurized PF, or about 140 turns (about a minute maybe) for a non pressurized. It does a fine job for espresso.
I was selling it here on CG, but I'd just rather see you have a decent grinder. It will grind MUCH better than the DeLonghi, krups, or similar cheap electric, unless you get a Baratza Encore, as was mentioned. Shipping shouldn't be than maybe $10 tops.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
emradguy
emradguy

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4, Pharos,...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Fri May 16, 2014, 5:55pm

IMAWriter Said:

Kamran. Have your Aunt in Boston contact me...
If she pays shipping, I will send her a Porlex hand grinder that will work very well for you. You will have to turn it about 100 times for your pressurized PF, or about 140 turns (about a minute maybe) for a non pressurized. It does a fine job for espresso.
I was selling it here on CG, but I'd just rather see you have a decent grinder. It will grind MUCH better than the DeLonghi, krups, or similar cheap electric, unless you get a Baratza Encore, as was mentioned. Shipping shouldn't be than maybe $10 tops.

Posted May 16, 2014 link

Now that's an offer that can't be refused.  What a great guy.

OK, now I really feel bad for letting you pay me for the stainless tamper base I sent you a while back.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
IMAWriter
IMAWriter

Posted Fri May 16, 2014, 7:44pm

emradguy Said:

Now that's an offer that can't be refused.  What a great guy.

OK, now I really feel bad for letting you pay me for the stainless tamper base I sent you a while back.

Posted May 16, 2014 link

Nonsense.
I've had a couple "pay if forward" a while back, while out with my daughter. I bribed the waitress to tell who paid our bill. She pointed them out. I helped the couple get over their embarrassment by discussing our jobs, kids, etc. It was pretty thrilling.

Regarding the Porlex, as no one had the good sense to BUY it, I'm more than happy to send it to someone who has the good sense to know the importance of a grinder! LOL

I'll let y'all know when the "deal" has been consummated. Kam will hopefully let us all know how it's going.
If he can somehow lose the pressurized PF/basket he could make some more than decent espresso.

I'm too lazy to check what size PF his machine takes. Kam, do you have a proper tamper?

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
www.robertjason.com
kamran

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Fri May 16, 2014, 9:58pm

thanks so much :O

i will ask her, she's coming in a month!

anyway my tamper is so stupid ! a plastic tamper+spoon with aluminium foil on top of it ( i did it because i wanted it to get bigger !)

tampers are sooo expensive here ! but at least can be found :D i know a guy ! amazing metal + wood one :D but still so expensive to buy! can i just depressurize my current one? i saw a video on youtube a guy doing that with he's EC155!

btw may i know the price?
+ can it store coffee fresh ?! i will just keep it it where the coffee goes :D
and how much was the MIN electric grinder ?:D
CMIN

Posted Sat May 17, 2014, 7:32am

Minimum for an electric grinder for a regular basket (or in your case depressurized) is around $300 here, not sure about where you live. Something like the Preciso, Le'Lit etc. Otherwise your only choice is to stay pressurized and still grind with whatever, or get a good hand grinder like above like IMA Porlex which can easily be used depressurized, will take a lot of turns like any small hand grinder but it seems that's your only choice for your budget. Cheaper electric grinders don't have good burr sets for espresso, can't grind for espresso, and don't have the right grind quality/consistency for espresso, so yeh you can use a cheaper grinder....but your coffee will be pretty awful for espresso and more than likely channeling/gushing/under-extracting/over-extracting etc

And being depressurized you'll need a tamper, I think almost all Delonghi machines are 51mm baskets? I think thats what my Bar32 was (and EC155). I'd def do the Porlex deal above.
kamran

Posted Sat May 17, 2014, 7:38am

No spec on net , a very unpopular model . there was only wight + bar pressure

I'm currently on way to coffee story for a latte :) so I can get some energy for exams ;D I really wanted one for long !!!

I will check it once I return home ! + I asked my aunt she wasn't online I'm sure she's outside , she'll reply me once she gets home !
kamran

Posted Sat May 17, 2014, 8:02am

Just something ;
I rrlized my machine is not working probably , 2nd ; my coffee shop can buy some hario slim or a used grinder at extremely low price !!  + he has green/not roasted coffee!
IMAWriter
IMAWriter

Posted Sat May 17, 2014, 8:37am

Kam, there is no charge for my grinder other than shipping to your aunt...
However, if you want to establish a good business relationship with the vendor you mentioned, that's also a good idea.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
www.robertjason.com
CMIN

Posted Sat May 17, 2014, 8:54am

If you don't do Robs Porlex deal, then your going to want your shop to get the Hario Skerton and do the stepless mod as you'll find on here. Otherwise the wide steps = almost impossible to dial in.
showing page 3 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Delonghi burr...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.279701948166)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+