Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Delonghi burr grinder, is it good?
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Delonghi burr...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
kamran

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Thu May 15, 2014, 6:51am
Subject: Re: Delonghi burr grinder, is it good?

i will see what other hand grinders he have !

seems delonghi is so horrible :D

seems grinding is super important ! , i remmber when i had mokapot the grind size wasn't really a issue for me , it tasted 10x times better :) btw at the time i had moka pot i didnt even know the coffee im making is named espresso ! (when i was 10 ! i just used 2 - 3 spoons of espresso + 1 complete cup of water !

also i will try to ask someone to bring me one, are you sure hand ones are good? and they aren't hard for 1 cup ? + do they grind size setting?
whats the cheapest ok electric grinder for me that haven't really tasted real espresso? just want to see if i can manage to buy it !
 View Profile Link to this post
kamran

Posted Thu May 15, 2014, 9:59am

Last Question ,

If delonghi burr is the Only thing I find , I should buy it or stick to using preground? I know it's not good but if its only one here !
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Thu May 15, 2014, 10:27am

well not really, fresh ground beans will still be better vs preground, even in a poor grinder like a Delonghi etc. Personally I would use a Hario Slim or Skerton on Amazon or Ebay. That is a hand grinder but will be much better than a Delonghi or any similar cheap electric grinder. Plus those cheap electric grinders have horrible retention so you should weigh your dose to make sure your getting the right amount of grinds each time. Since your using a pressurized portafilter machine, I don't know how much a Baratza Encore cost over there but that is hands down the best "low end" electric grinder for the $. It's about 130 or so here, and much better than an Infinity Capresso or Bodum etc

Even with your Moka, fresh ground beans will make a huge difference over stale preground. Usually Moka grind is somewhere between espresso and drip.
boar_d_laze

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: La Cimbali M21 DT/1 Junior...
Grinder: Ceado E92; "Bunnzilla"
Vac Pot: Royal Coffee Maker
Drip: Chemex + Kone; Espro Press
Roaster: USRC Sample Roaster
Posted Thu May 15, 2014, 11:12am

I'm not sure that he looked at your profile to see which machine you're using, but Wayne (Calblacksmith) did a pretty good job of describing your situation when he talked about pressurized portafilters.

The DeLonghi 250.B, with its "crema filter" and other limitations is a machine that won't benefit from a "better" grinder in proportion to the grinder's cost.  Please understand, that's not a criticism of the 250.B, a sneer, or an opinion -- it's a "just is."  The only thing that matters is that you're enjoying yourself.

Just about any burr grinder using good quality, appropriately fresh beans will work as well as any other.  If DeLonghi is the only brand available to you -- don't worry about it.  A DeLonghi will be fine.  

Rich
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
emradguy
emradguy

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Thu May 15, 2014, 11:23am

Delonghi will be fine as long as you stay with the pressurized portafilter, but if you change to non-pressurized, it will not be adequate.

Not all hand grinders are created equally.  At the extremely high end is the HG one, which is better than most electric grinders on the market, but costs about $1,000 US.  We're not suggesting that.  or even the high end Rosco grinder which is available in Australia for (iirc) about $500 US....or even the OE Pharos which goes for just under $250 US.  The list continues down in price and quality, and what we're suggesting is that you have, within your reach, a good quality hand grinder for under $100.  I use a hand grinder for my non-espresso preparations.  I have the OE Lido, which I bought new for $165, and it takes me just under 1 minute to grind a single cup's worth of beans.  I know people through this site who use a Hario for their espresso and they report good results.  I don't think it takes them much longer than me to grind their beans for each preparation, so it's not as challenging or useless as you are thinking.  Your friend in Boston should be able to bring you one of those, as they're lightweight and relatively small.  I estimate the box to be about 10cm square by about 15-20cm tall.

I know it's discouraging to have to go with a hand grinder, but I really don't think giving up is the right choice.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
kamran

Posted Thu May 15, 2014, 11:59am

Thanks  for help guys ;)

I will out delonghi on my last option !! Maybe I will go to my coffee shop and see what I can do!
Might even not find delonghi grinder but anyway I see what I can do !! There's 1% chance that my aunt in Boston can bring it for me, its not about size only !!! Also I was thinking of getting a non pressurized of for my current machine !

Will tell you if I managed to buy a decent grinder ;) or any

Edit : I found this on internet :o gastro something 42602 professional coffee grinder !
Click Here (www.garda.ir)

Anyway I'm going to check stores my self after my exams ( 1 month!)
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Thu May 15, 2014, 12:15pm

If you replace the basket to be non-pressurized your going to need a real espresso grinder that will cost a lot more then what your looking to spend so keep that in mind (save for a hario hand grinder that is cheap and passable for espresso, the Skerton you can do the step less mod for to be a lot better). Krups makes a replacement basket that fits the Delonghi machines.

Keep that in mind
kamran

Posted Thu May 15, 2014, 12:19pm

Now , I don't really think I will , is non pressurized of worth it ?  And can hand ones make espresso for non pressurized? I got a little confused sorry ! If not I will probably stick to pressurized ! At least for now
emradguy
emradguy

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Thu May 15, 2014, 12:43pm

yeah, hand grinders will be fine for pressurized. the whole point of the pressurized pf is to allow one to make "espresso" with a cheapo grinder or preground beans...but if you can get a decent grinder even better.  the only things is you may have to grind a little coarser until you can "de-pressurize" your pf.  

first step though is to get the grinder.  
second step is to get beans roasted within 2 weeks of you having them in your hands.
third step is to dial in the proper grind.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
kamran

Posted Thu May 15, 2014, 1:04pm

I ment non-pressurized/normal ones , are hand grinders good enough for that?

Also the beans I get are already roasted!

I heart many bad reviews for delonghi grinder anyway ! Getting damaged after 3 months.... :O
I will see what happened ! Maybe get  good or handed one ;)
showing page 2 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Delonghi burr...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.237702131271)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+