Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Delonghi burr grinder, is it good?
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Delonghi burr...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 4 last page next page
Author Messages
kamran

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Wed May 14, 2014, 4:37am
Subject: Delonghi burr grinder, is it good?

hi, i dont have grinder and currently ask my coffee store to grind it for me using they're machine ! but anyway having a grinder for my self is good :) fresh coffee :D  better deciding at grind size

but stores here are Filled with delonghi :S all the stores here are always filled with wrost brands !

other brands are so hard to find ! almost impossible!

i saw delonghi grinder somewhere, is that a good grinder too buy?

i already have an bodum blade grinder, its horrible ! some part is huge ! some part is SO Small!
 View Profile Link to this post
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Wed May 14, 2014, 5:44am
Subject: Re: Delonghi burr grinder, is it good?

What is your brew method?  It's actually quite important in regards to the answer you should receive.  For sure, if you're making espresso, the Delonghi is inadequate. It would be well for you to specify what model you're looking at, and perhaps, what your budget is (if possible in terms of US$, so we have something by which to gauge what your resources are in terms of what the market is like here). What else is available to you...do you travel at all? If so, you might be able to buy one somewhere else and bring it home with you. Sorry, I have no idea what the stores are like in Iran.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
kamran

Posted Wed May 14, 2014, 6:35am

i use a delonghi ec250b

first i use a spoon of espresso (using included tamper and spoon) and then tamp it almost hard! (pressurized filter :S)

than when steam is ready i try to make steamed milk but i always fail. i still fail after 1.5 years of making 2 cups of latte everyday !
than i turn of steam button and start the brewing and i get a very thin crema espresso ( if in shots) and almsot no crema when its pouring in a cuppocino cup!

my budget is around 100$ but the important thing is availbility as far i saw on net (haven't gone to stores to check) there's only  delonghi grinders !

Click Here (www.amazon.com) is one
Click Here (www.amazon.com) is another one

i never travel but when i do, i can live a few days without espresso or just go to a coffee shop :)

i dont think any thing else is available ! i saw a super overpriced krups grinder too that all the reviews where horrible and all the websites said its so bad (even here)
kamran

Posted Wed May 14, 2014, 6:36am

i use a delonghi ec250b

first i use a spoon of espresso (using included tamper and spoon) and then tamp it almost hard! (pressurized filter :S)

than when steam is ready i try to make steamed milk but i always fail. i still fail after 1.5 years of making 2 cups of latte everyday !
than i turn of steam button and start the brewing and i get a very thin crema espresso ( if in shots) and almsot no crema when its pouring in a cuppocino cup!

my budget is around 100$ but the important thing is availbility as far i saw on net (haven't gone to stores to check) there's only  delonghi grinders !

Click Here (www.amazon.com) is one
Click Here (www.amazon.com) is another one

i never travel but when i do, i can live a few days without espresso or just go to a coffee shop :)

i dont think any thing else is available ! i saw a super overpriced krups grinder too that all the reviews where horrible and all the websites said its so bad (even here)

anyway i didn't tell model because delonghi has only 2 very similar grinders ! and if thats not good im giving up! :)
emradguy
emradguy

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Wed May 14, 2014, 7:28am

OK, that helps.  Unfortunately, your budget pretty much restricts you to using a hand powered grinder for espresso, as there are no new electric ones worth having at that price (though you may find a used one). Consider a Hario Slim or Skerton or a Porlex if you can find one.  At least for the Hario's there's a modification you can do for very, very cheap to change it from a stepped adjustment mechanism to a stepless adjustment mechanism (there are threads on this). It's possible that a good coffee shop will carry them. Once you have a suitable grinder, it will be worthwhile to change the portafilter on your machine to non-pressurized (if possible - though one doesn't know, since you haven't mentioned or included in your profile what machine you use). I wouldn't worry about "crema" while you're using a pressurized pf - as you're never going to get real crema from that - especially before you are able to use properly ground (and freshly ground) beans.

When I asked about travel, I was trying to suggest you might find a grinder worth buying while you're traveling...since you are unable to find a suitable one near your home.

Having said all that.  You would still be well served to have the Delonghi grinder and fresh beans to grind for each preparation using the pressurized pf.  It's a far better situation than using pre-ground beans. FWIW, beans stale within 15 minutes of grinding, so there's no way anything that the shop grinds for you will be fresh enough to make good espresso by the time you can use them - even is they are directly across the street and you run right home.

Until you can afford a decent espresso grinder, this is probably your best bet.  For now, you may have to focus on making the best you can with what's available.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
kamran

Posted Wed May 14, 2014, 7:57am

are you sure? 100$ and only hand ones :O

and delonghi grinder is not worth it?

btw my machine makes great tasting coffee (10000x times better than my moka pot) but just no crema :(

anyway

i got around 1000$ in my cart right now im 15 year old but i buy everything my self, the cost of going school everyday and all, i got all those from saving in 3 years :P and gifts + new year gifts :D

i was planning to get a new stuff for my pc (whole another story), but i will have still a 300$ left ! i can spend that on grinder , but the main problem is availability ,its not because of the city i live. my country is a joke! no good products can be found here !

and delonghi is a 60$ electronic grinder :)

non pressurized one can't be found here !  i will ask my coffee vendor too see if he can get me one when ordering coffee.

i know someone coming from boston to here ! but im 99% sure she can't buy one and carry it here :(

if delonghi is not good i will try something and see if there's anyway i can get it :!
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Wed May 14, 2014, 1:04pm

HI and welcome.
I know it is difficult to understand but espresso is a VERY expensive thing to get into. Most of us have grinders that the replacement burrs alone are $50 to $100, let alone the entire grinder which START at $350 for very basic and marginal for espresso in a NON ppf situation.

With the Pressurized Porta Filter (PPF) tamping is really not going to do much, all the pressure is generated in the PF and not in the coffee bed. They come standard on lower priced starter machines because the grinder is much less a factor in making espresso with one, sadly though, they do not produce good espresso, rather something that PASSES for espresso with new people.

If you are not getting crema WITH a PPF, your coffee most likely is much more than stale, stale coffee is the first thing we think of when asked about no crema. Fresh coffee is less than two weeks from THE DAY IT WAS ROASTED, the roast ON date should be on your bag. If there is a BEST BY or a USE BEFORE date on the bag, you have stale coffee on your hands.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
IMAWriter
IMAWriter

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600, CO/UFO combo
Posted Wed May 14, 2014, 9:45pm

Kamran, the advice above about a hand/manual grinder with beans roasted within 2 weeks and stored in an airy tight jar in your pantry is what I think best.
Was it happens, I have Turkish grinder I use for making middle East coffee with fresh cardamom. Once broken in, it can do a decent grind, and shouldn't cost you more than about $70 US, and should be easy to find. They are manufactured inn Turkey.
Mine is the rounded "belly" style.

order@turkishmill.com

He's a nice fellow.

I couldn't find the website. They call it "plump" I believe.
A vintage wooden grinder is good, however some were not designed for espresso grinding.
Thing is, most important things are FRESH coffee, and a decent grinder. I'd also see if you either modify the pressurized basket/Portas filter, or if Deonghi makes a noimn pressurized one. If it's a 53mm size, you might be able to use one made by Saeco.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
kamran

Posted Thu May 15, 2014, 2:22am

so delonghi burr is bad?:)

btw its about availability ! grinders can't be found in iran!

anyway im seeing everything is expensive ! im not a professional coffee maker or something but i really love the taste + making it is so fun for me :)

as everything is expensive i just think i should give up ! and make good coffees with my current stuff ! or maybe get a not expensive but normal grinder !

these stuff are even more expensive than computers !

anyway i will see if at least i can get a non PPF !

also i gave my aunt a hand powered coffee grinder as gift ! (burr like) it was more than decoration than useful ! coffee was not even grinded well ! some parts were good but there was some not grinded coffee in middle of them !

for my normal everyday coffee i will just keep asking my vendor too grind it for me ! than he gives it to me in a paper bag ! and close it with glue ! not really air protected !
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Thu May 15, 2014, 6:40am

kamran Said:

so delonghi burr is bad?:)

btw its about availability ! grinders can't be found in iran!

anyway im seeing everything is expensive ! im not a professional coffee maker or something but i really love the taste + making it is so fun for me :)

as everything is expensive i just think i should give up ! and make good coffees with my current stuff ! or maybe get a not expensive but normal grinder !

these stuff are even more expensive than computers !

anyway i will see if at least i can get a non PPF !

also i gave my aunt a hand powered coffee grinder as gift ! (burr like) it was more than decoration than useful ! coffee was not even grinded well ! some parts were good but there was some not grinded coffee in middle of them !

for my normal everyday coffee i will just keep asking my vendor too grind it for me ! than he gives it to me in a paper bag ! and close it with glue ! not really air protected !

Posted May 15, 2014 link

You pry bought a bad quality grinder, a $30 Hario slim or $40 skerton hand grinder will grind better than any Delonghi grinder. Having the store grind for you, the grinds are now stale by the time you use them, and won't taste anything like fresh ground coffee made right. Even a hand grinder on your Delonghi machine will be much better with fresh beans then using preground, even with the pressurized portafilter.
showing page 1 of 4 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Delonghi burr...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Don't suffer bad espresso
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, VBM, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.247501134872)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+