Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Espresso and Aeropress - Which grinder
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Espresso and...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
drmikenz

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Sun Apr 27, 2014, 7:21pm
Subject: Espresso and Aeropress - Which grinder

Hi everyone,

Hopefully a simple question, had a Silvia/Rocky combo for about 14 years, just bought a VBM Domobar super and am thinking of upgrading to a better grinder. I'll be using it 90% of the time for espresso with the occasional aeropress once or twice a week. My two choices for grinder so far are the M4 and the Mazzer Mini. I've heard great things about the step less M4 but am I right in thinking that changing the grind occasionally is a pain and I'm better off with the Mazzer ?

thanks!
Mike
 View Profile Link to this post
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Mon Apr 28, 2014, 7:31am
Subject: Re: Espresso and Aeropress - Which grinder

Short answer is NO - not better off with the Mazzer Mini, and...yes - changing the grind that far occasionally will indeed be a PIA.  Better answer is, get one of those two (if that's what you want to upgrade to), and keep the Rocky for your Aeropress use.  FWIW, I had a Rocky for several years before getting the MACAP M4 and wow, what a difference it made!

I've now got two M4s and a Mazzer Major.  IMHO, the MACAP line is built as well as the Mazzer line, easier to adjust and the doser cleans itself much, much better without any tinkering. The downside of the M4 is the chute holds a lot of grounds.  Easy enough to get a brush in there, once you remove the finger guard though...but you have to bump (run it just for a second between chute sweeps) the grinder several times to really clear out the burr chamber. Of course, the grind quality doesn't compare to the Major, but then...who'd expect it to? From all I've read, the M4 and Mini are about equal in the cup.  That said, there's quite a bit on the forums about dropping a Super Jolly burr set in the Mini to improve the grind quality noticeably.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
drmikenz

Posted Mon Apr 28, 2014, 8:53pm

Thanks, I think i'll go for the MACAP, however its already been enough of a task to get my wife to agree to spending as much as our first coffee machine just on a grinder so not sure if I can keep the rocky as well, might just use my Hario hand grinder for Aeropress instead.
coffeestig

Espresso: Quick Mill QM67
Grinder: Mazzer Mini Electronic...
Drip: French Press
Posted Thu May 1, 2014, 7:23am

drmikenz Said:

Thanks, I think i'll go for the MACAP, however its already been enough of a task to get my wife to agree to spending as much as our first coffee machine just on a grinder so not sure if I can keep the rocky as well, might just use my Hario hand grinder for Aeropress instead.

Posted April 28, 2014 link

I've tried the Mazzer Mini E Dosserless next to the M4 and like the Mazzer a lot more.  I now have the SJ burrs and concur that it made a difference but that may just be due to time to change the burrs anyhow.  That being said - I am familiar with the Mazzer and use it daily so am a lot more comfortable with it.  

The motor will last forever and it's easy to clean - swap the burrs out for new ones.  Might be a good idea to look for used.
drmikenz

Posted Thu May 1, 2014, 6:00pm

Thanks for the advice, unfortunately in NZ the price of the Mini E ($1500 NZD) is almost twice that of the M4 ($849) which puts it firmly outside my price range.
moosepucky
moosepucky
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Pasquini Livia 90 auto
Grinder: Super Jolly - Forte BG -...
Vac Pot: Cona - Santos
Drip: Bodum - Chemex - Hario -...
Roaster: Hottop KN-8828-B
Posted Sun May 4, 2014, 5:34am

Unfortunately multiple grinds = multiple grinders :(

You may want to get a high quality espresso grinder and also get a high quality hand grinder (Kyocera CM-50 or Hario Skerton) for your "other/occasional" grinding needs until you can get enough $$$ together for a good electric brew grinder also. The Kyocera CM-50 and Hario Skerton are the same grinder with different badges (different names on the box) and very respectable hand grinders for occasional coarser grinding.

You really do not want to use the same grinder for espresso and ANYTHING else as it is a real pain to dial a grinder back to a perfect shot once you have opened it up to the point of making a good coarser grind.   It does not matter which espresso grinder you end up with, changing the grind setting way up and way down is not easy to do without a LOT of waste.  You will be throwing away a lot of coffee as you try to redial it back into an acceptable espresso grind.  Just not worth it (in my estimation anyway)
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Espresso and...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.216630935669)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+