Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Least expensive conical burr grinder?
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Least expensive...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 4 last page next page
Author Messages
BKSinAZ

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Starbucks Barista.... for...
Grinder: Soon to get Vario
Posted Wed Apr 16, 2014, 7:27pm
Subject: Least expensive conical burr grinder?

What would be the least expensive conical burr grinder, but not so inexpensive that quality is thrown away?
Looking for something home use.... or shorter than the commercials.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Whitcoatsyndrom
Whitcoatsyndrom
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Expobar Office Pulser
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Drip: Newco-OCS 12
Roaster: HG/BM
Posted Wed Apr 16, 2014, 8:19pm
Subject: Re: Least expensive conical burr grinder?

Do some research on the Baratza Preciso and the Lelit PL53....you'll have plenty of reading as there have been lots of discussions.

What is your budget?
 View Profile Link to this post
emradguy
emradguy

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4, Pharos,...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Wed Apr 16, 2014, 8:29pm

+1

What size burrs do you want?  Are you looking only for an electric one or are you also considering manual powered?

...and what are you planning to use it for?  espresso?

are you willing to buy used?  refurbished?

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
BKSinAZ

Espresso: Starbucks Barista.... for...
Grinder: Soon to get Vario
Posted Wed Apr 16, 2014, 8:44pm

espresso and milk based.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
emradguy
emradguy

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4, Pharos,...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Wed Apr 16, 2014, 10:37pm

ok, that's a start.  what about the other questions?

Orphan Espresso has the Lido 2 in production, due to start shipping next month. The cost is less than $200. I'm 99% sure they're using the same burr set as in the Lido 1, which is 38mm.  They also are still making the Pharos grinder sporadically.  It uses 68mm burrs and sells for $245.  Both of those are manual powered.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
EricBNC
EricBNC
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: QM Silvano, LP Stradivarius,...
Grinder: K30, Major, Preciso, Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam C30, Bodum Santos...
Drip: Bonavita BV-1800,...
Roaster: Behmor, Melitta, Fresh...
Posted Thu Apr 17, 2014, 6:45am

A really cheap conical burr grinder - $70 for a refurb - is the Capresso Infinity. The burrs look a lot like the Lido burrs too and a forum search shows how to mod it for stepless and finer grinding as well. Will it have some drawbacks? Probably, but it will grind fine enough for espresso.

EricBNC: capresso-conical-burr-grinder vs lido.jpg
(Click for larger image)

I chew coffee beans with my teeth while gargling with 195 F water to enjoy coffee. What is this "coffee brewing" device you speak of?
CMIN

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Thu Apr 17, 2014, 7:03am

EricBNC Said:

A really cheap conical burr grinder - $70 for a refurb - is the Capresso Infinity. The burrs look a lot like the Lido burrs too and a forum search shows how to mod it for stepless and finer grinding as well. Will it have some drawbacks? Probably, but it will grind fine enough for espresso.

Posted April 17, 2014 link

It won't, had an Infinity, modded stepless as well. Not good for espresso at all, Preciso is far better. Even the Encore is better for coarse. Infinity has poor consistancy, yeh it can grind fine, but that fineness is more fines production/dust which is horrible for espresso, and it has a large amount of retention for such a small grinder. It's passable for coarse, but I'd take an Encore over it any day.

If you want the cheapest espresso capable grinder, Hario Skerton and step-less mod, guarantee it'll be better then a modded Infinity.
EricBNC
EricBNC
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: QM Silvano, LP Stradivarius,...
Grinder: K30, Major, Preciso, Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam C30, Bodum Santos...
Drip: Bonavita BV-1800,...
Roaster: Behmor, Melitta, Fresh...
Posted Thu Apr 17, 2014, 7:28am

There are a lot of posts and reviews that would point towards a different conclusion about the Infinity...

Here is one example:

Click Here (coffeegeek.com)

I chew coffee beans with my teeth while gargling with 195 F water to enjoy coffee. What is this "coffee brewing" device you speak of?
CMIN

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Thu Apr 17, 2014, 8:06am

EricBNC Said:

There are a lot of posts and reviews that would point towards a different conclusion about the Infinity...

Here is one example:

yes, and reading them it's basically all newbs who don't know better when you go through the reviews on it or on forums. I had an Infinity and modded it, got rid of it, useless for espresso.... unless you like channeling poorly extracted/tasting shots as the grind quality isn't consistent, and has commercial grinder retention is a small home user grinder. Friend started with an Infinity too with a Delonghi (who got us started with the same package), then modded it as well when I did as he depressurized his machine, samething, useless for espresso. I mean seriously, the link you posted the user says a Super Jolley, Vario etc are barely better then an Infinity for espresso, LOL. it's ok for a pressurized espresso machine, nothing more. It's like the guy on CF that was telling me I was nutz to get rid of my Infinity b/c he somehow has a magical Infinity that grinds as well as any high end commercial grinder, even sent me emails saying "you and your coffeegeek brethren blah blah blah, I can take my Infinity on a $5k machine and outperform any of you with your setups, it's all about barista quality/knowing how to use your grinder" hahahaha

Guarentee with money on it that a Hario Skerton with step-less mods will outperform an modded Infinity easily on a depressurized entry machine or regular machine.
peterkub
peterkub
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Espresso
Grinder: Compak K3 Touch
Posted Thu Apr 17, 2014, 8:18am

EricBNC Said:

Here is one example:

Sure. Had one (still have it for french press). If you spend some time calibrating, use the same coffee all the time, and don't mind your shots taking 20 to 50 seconds it's fine. Even modded stepless the adjustment is extremely touchy, a minute adjustments gives big difference on shots. After long suffering I caved in and bought a dedicated espresso grinder I'm happy with.

Good things to say about capresso? Size and consistency as long as you don't let adjustment ring move.
showing page 1 of 4 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Least expensive...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.488471984863)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+