Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Vario primary calibration
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Vario primary...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
cl0ud

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Sat Apr 12, 2014, 2:05am
Subject: Vario primary calibration

I'm trying to recalibrate my vario but am having a problem following the primary calibration step outlined on https://www.baratza.com/wp-content/uploads/Vario-Recal-new.pdf. With the 2.5mm bolt tightened to the rails there is still a lot of play in the mechanism, and I can easily adjust it by moving the bolt forward/backwards (*not* loosening the bolt at all). I would say the whole thing moves 15mm or so with the levers all the way down, although moving them to 1A does hold it in place.

So I calibrate the machine and it sounds OK (motor labouring at 1M or so) but because of the play it loses all calibration once I move the arms back towards the macro scale. Without doing anything other than pushing the 2.5mm bolt back and forth I can go from motor labouring at about 4 on Macro scale to not labouring at all at 1A.

I took 2 photos to show what I mean: https://www.dropbox.com/s/fulooij84ob69li/IMG_3678.jpeg (coarsest setting) https://www.dropbox.com/s/gm2jsc4ulr2hrtm/IMG_3679.jpeg (finest).

Is that right? I figure something should be holding the rails in place but may have come loose, but not sure what I should be adjusting (if anything!)

My grinder's out of warranty so I was hoping I could fix the problem myself
 View Profile Link to this post
moosepucky
moosepucky
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Pasquini Livia 90 auto
Grinder: Super Jolly - Forte BG -...
Vac Pot: Cona - Santos
Drip: Bodum - Chemex - Hario -...
Roaster: Hottop KN-8828-B
Posted Sat Apr 12, 2014, 9:48am
Subject: Re: Vario primary calibration

You may need the shim upgrade.

Give them a call.  They may just send you the parts.

It's a simple install.

https://www.baratza.com/wp-content/uploads/Vario-Faceplate-Replacement-and-Lever-Shimming.pdf
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
OliveOil
OliveOil
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: NS Oscar, Breville BES920XL
Grinder: Baratza Vario-W
Drip: Breville YouBrew
Posted Tue Apr 15, 2014, 5:24am

Just wondering, but what are the signs that the grinder needs calibration?
brianl

Espresso: Quick Mill Vetrano DB
Grinder: HG One, OE Lido 2, Baratza...
Drip: Chemex/V60
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Tue Apr 15, 2014, 6:16am

OliveOil Said:

Posted April 15, 2014 link

The grind is significantly off? Grind setting varies by beans but if you adjust finer and finer and don't notice changes then its prob time.

Another way to tell is to just set the grinder up at about 1 macro and halfway down on micro. The machine should labor and it if doesnt, need to calibrate.
cl0ud

Posted Tue Apr 15, 2014, 6:17am

OliveOil Said:

Posted April 15, 2014 link

I couldn't grind fine enough even at 1A - kept on getting gushers.
branmuffin17
branmuffin17

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Posted Wed Apr 23, 2014, 9:17am

I just checked in the Grinders forum because I'm experiencing my own Vario issue at the moment (likely the pulley or belt, from what Baratza's told me).

In any case, I've gone through a calibration issue myself, so if you haven't fixed it yet, I'll detail my own experience.

My grinder came and I had immediate issues dialing in.  Since this was my first (and only) grinder, and my first time making true, beautiful espresso, I thought it might have been me.  Nope.  I was getting a lot of slipping, where I would set the macro/micro levers, and grind was inconsistent.  I believe this is somewhat similar to what you're experiencing, cl0ud.  I used the calibration tool (the fancy allen/hex key) and found that the screw was VERY loose.  So I tightened it down to the point where I noticed the motor laboring at a setting of Macro 2, and about right in the middle of micro (around M).  That did the trick for more consistent grind, and have been using it at that general calibration successfully for over a year.  Based on your pictures, it looks like you're moving that forward/back bolt, which messes with calibration WAY more than the hex.  Does the hex screw tighten down pretty well?  Not talking too tight, just solid so it feels like it'll stay.  I believe that needs to be tight so the bolt doesn't move.  Sorry if this isn't at all what you're talking about...I think we're talking about the same thing, but unless I'm right there, my understanding might be off.

Then there's the loose lever issue.  It was so loose that during a grind, the micro might even slip a slot or two.  Contacted Baratza directly on that, and they sent me the "shim upgrade" for free.  If I'd have known these pieces were essentially 1mm x 2mm pieces of plastic, I'd have just found something around the house and cut it to size, rather than bother Baratza!  Anyway, it was a quick and easy fix to take the front panel off and wedge those pieces in, which better holds the levers in place.  No more problems there.

All in all, sounds like you need to use the allen key and tighten it down, in combination with setting that bolt in the proper place.  I'd also suggest e-mailing Baratza directly (support@baratza.com), as they are very helpful and can walk you through a proper calibration, even though you're out of warranty.
nokkelen

Posted Sat Oct 18, 2014, 2:18pm

I just had to replace a burnt out motor and was having calibration issues before it finally blew.

The 2.5mm bolt for calibrating was the issue. Its housing wiggled around, despite having the bolt tightened all the way.

When first trying the new motor out the machine was so tight, despite my efforts to have everything as loose as possible to start, that the burrs ground themselves.

I had to completely remove the top part of the grinder to find how the mechanism works and repair it.

It is not a grind lever shim issue, it is an internal calibration shim issue.

The 2.5mm bolt secures a weight, shim, that can be moved around to tighten or loosen the grind. This weight sits in a housing that is held in place by a plastic post. If the housing is pushed up too much it will pop off of the post and wiggle around. You have to reattach the housing to the post to fix the issue.

This must be why Baratza states that all calibrating be done with the grinder standing up, otherwise you'll unhook the housing of the calibration shim.

I've included an image to point out exactly where the problem lies.

UPDATE****

Given you still have issues, just contact baratza. They'll walk you through finding the exact issue and provide you details if you want to Fox out on your own. They also have a great repair program.

nokkelen: rsz__grinder.jpg
(Click for larger image)
branmuffin17
branmuffin17

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Posted Sun Oct 19, 2014, 11:30pm

@ nokkelen:  Interesting...I continue to have some random calibration issues.  In the biggest case, the calibration is way off for 10+ grinds before it finally settles down.  The 2.5 mm bolt...are you talking about the one near the grind output shaft where you use the allen key to calibrate?

My calibration issues happen when I:

1.  Use Grindz cleaning tablets, or...
  2.  Take off the upper burrs, make sure both upper and lower burrs are clean, sweep everything i can reach with my brush, and reseat the upper burrs.

The interesting thing is that after either of these, I'll make sure the sound is similar (based on the sound of the motor laboring just a bit), but the output is incredibly different.  Normally, my grinds look the way they should...fine, almost clumpy, and since I weigh each dose of beans (rather than just fill the hopper), I normally get grinds that fit almost perfectly in my basket before tamping.

After I clean, the VOLUME of grinds is almost double.  Again, the motor is pushing a bit...my general calibration has the macro level on 1, and the micro usually in the m-o range.  But the grinds come out way faster, and the volume seriously is almost at the point where I could fill 2 double baskets before tamping.

After grinding a few more sets, all of a sudden, it goes back to normal functioning.  Haven't been able to figure out why.

Think I might be having the same issue you've experienced?
nokkelen

Posted Thu Oct 23, 2014, 7:57am

@branmuffin17

I think the issue you're facing has to do with the lower burr needing to be pushed down all the way after cleaning. The lower burr sits back down with gravity but there's a chance it's sitting a touch high causing for a faster coarser grind. I figure you're talking about the 2mm screw and not the 2.5mm bolt. Given you're not adjusting the calibration another time after the first time and it's settling into the right grind after about ten runs, I'm at a loss for what the cause is.

Your best bet is to contact baratza if you can't iron it out yourself. Good luck!
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Vario primary...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.269042015076)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+