Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Static electricity
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Static...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
Reg

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Fri Mar 21, 2014, 9:37am
Subject: Static electricity

I have the Baratza Precisio, which I pretty much love.  Two issues: one, the on/off knob keeps falling off, but that's no big deal.  More perplexing, I find that grinding coffee into the plastic container produces static electricity such that sometimes 1/4 teaspoon of chaff and fine grinds stick to the container when I pour them out.  This makes for a mess.  My only solution has been to take the container to a metal sink, rub it around the walls of the sink before pouring the coffee grounds out.  Is there some way to 'ground' the grinder so the static electricity doesn't build up?

Thanks,
Reg
 View Profile Link to this post
TheRealScubaSteve
TheRealScubaSteve
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Delonghi EC155
Grinder: Baratza Encore
Posted Fri Mar 21, 2014, 10:35am
Subject: Re: Static electricity

This thread has information on adding static-reducing gimmicks to your grinder, but try the Ross droplet technique. Before grinding, use your fingers to flick a few drops of water over the beans. This has been known to work well as many static issues are related to relative humidity levels.

"But it is not a perfect world and none of us are god-shots.  As for me, I am a little over extracted and therefore slightly bitter and my crema is thin..." -Buckley
Buckley

Posted Fri Mar 21, 2014, 10:51am

Everthing that RealScubaSteve said is on the front line of the coffeegeeks versus static conflict.  Most people blog about gently spraying the beans before grinding or flicking water on them, as he has linked to.  People who tape grounding wires to the plastic say that it does not help much.

We used to wipe down our equipment with an anti-cling sheet used in clothes driers.  If you tried an unscented sheet wiped on your plastic collection bin, I think you would be pleased with the results.  It is used dry.

Buckley
D4F

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Fri Mar 21, 2014, 12:24pm

This does not directly solve static but a work around and it works great on the Preciso.  If the spouts are still on the PF, still fits.

D4F: Solve static.JPG
(Click for larger image)

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
Reg

Posted Fri Mar 21, 2014, 12:29pm

The water solution makes intuitive sense, but I was wondering about the distribution of the water.  If you flick a couple of drops on the top of a bin full of beans, will that really have an effect on the first beans ground?  Do you need to spray them as you seem to indicate?  The anti-static cloth sounds promising, but a messy thing hanging around, it would seem.

Reg
steamer
steamer
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Expobar Brewtus IV R
Grinder: Mazzer Mini-B Baratza...
Vac Pot: Krubs Moka Brew, vacPot
Drip: TechV, and many more
Roaster: Hottop
Posted Fri Mar 21, 2014, 2:08pm

One thing I have found is beans roasted in a fluid bed roaster will tend to have more static. My Virtuoso really never had static. I have seen static when it is poured into a tupperware container, but never in a glass container. Alwasy use glass to store the beans or metal container.
Buckley

Posted Fri Mar 21, 2014, 5:10pm

Reg Said:

The water solution makes intuitive sense, but I was wondering about the distribution of the water.  If you flick a couple of drops on the top of a bin full of beans, will that really have an effect on the first beans ground?  Do you need to spray them as you seem to indicate?  The anti-static cloth sounds promising, but a messy thing hanging around, it would seem.

Reg

Posted March 21, 2014 link

Good response.  It shows how we all make assumptions.  I was assuming that you individually dose your grinder; the individual dose is treated before being dumped into the hopper.   It would not be good to dampen an entire hopper of beans for several days.  By the way, no one reports any deleterious effects of the dampened beans upon the grinder burrs, in case you were wondering.  The anti-cling sheet is smaller than a kleenex tissue.  Most of us have a lot 'messier things' lying around, I am assuming. ;)
B
Reg

Posted Fri Mar 21, 2014, 5:20pm

And sometimes our assumptions are correct!  I do individually dose my grinder.  My question was whether I humidify before or after filling the hopper.  I guess there's the third possibility of water+beans+martini shaker, but my laziness made me assume that wasn't on the table!  I'm not such a neatnik -- I'll investigate anti-static sheets.
TheRealScubaSteve
TheRealScubaSteve
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Delonghi EC155
Grinder: Baratza Encore
Posted Fri Mar 21, 2014, 7:29pm

I've never tried it, but it seems like most add water after the beans are in the hopper. On the other hand, there's also reports of people flicking water into the storage container. I think this assumes that you divvy up the beans into smaller doses, but I suppose it could also work with a full bag, too. Spraying/misting might be an idea - they sell small spray bottles such as this that won't put out excess water. I know they're also available at places like Michael's crafts.

"But it is not a perfect world and none of us are god-shots.  As for me, I am a little over extracted and therefore slightly bitter and my crema is thin..." -Buckley
Buckley

Posted Mon Mar 24, 2014, 2:40am

The martini shaker sounds to me like too much water is being considered.  We are really talking humidity.  Just by way of illustration,  if the dose were put into a small paper bag and someone breathed in-and-out with the bag pressed to their mouth, like in the old-fashioned panic attack remedy, I am assuming that the resultant humidity would be enough to cut down on the static, but I do not recommend this as being time effective or an appropriate move while entertaining guests...  Perhaps holding the dose for 1 second under the steam wand, assuming it was already purged of water, might be a ready-made option, depending upon one's set-up and operating procedures.
To do away with water, you could make an anti-static gun or metal plate, if you are a tinkerer.  I do not know how effective the the anti-static guns sold for vinyl records would be but perhaps they are surplus-cheap these days?
B
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Static...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.262494087219)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+