Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Grinder Help
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Grinder Help  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
moosepucky
moosepucky
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Pasquini Livia 90 auto
Grinder: Super Jolly - Forte BG -...
Vac Pot: Cona - Santos
Drip: Bodum - Chemex - Hario -...
Roaster: Hottop KN-8828-B
Posted Fri Mar 28, 2014, 2:40pm
Subject: Re: Grinder Help

Headphase Said:

......I too am in the market for a grinder.

I am between a Breville Smart Brew or a Virtuoso.  I make espresso occasionally with grandfather's 45-yr old flip-pot, so I am not too worried about grinding great espresso.

So--my question is what grinder would you recommend for an avid French Presser?  Looking to spend up to $250.

Posted March 28, 2014 link

I own both a Preciso which is a Virtuoso with a fine adjustment and a Forte-BG for my NON espresso grinding.

Even though the Forte-BG is considered a commercial brew grinder I will use the Preciso/Esatto more often as I like the taste in the cup from the conical burr grinder a little more than the flat burr grinder (you may feel differently about this as taste is a personal "thang").

No way am I getting rid of the Forte-BG but this might help you feel better about getting a Virtuoso since I think it is one of the better brew grinder I have owned.  Now I have not owned EVERY brew grinder ever made but I have had a few of them over the years.

Start with a Virtuoso (or if you even THINK you may want to grind espresso or Turkish step up to the Preciso).  Then later on pick up Baratza's Esatto weight based attachment and you will never look back when it comes to pour over or press grinding.

moosepucky: bg_pc_01-01-2014.jpg
(Click for larger image)
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Headphase

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Fri Mar 28, 2014, 4:05pm

moosepucky Said:

Start with a Virtuoso (or if you even THINK you may want to grind espresso or Turkish step up to the Preciso).  Then later on pick up Baratza's Esatto weight based attachment and you will never look back when it comes to pour over or press grinding.

Thanks for the advice.  I really appreciate it, also a little scared because we have really rediscovered coffee over the past few months and, whew, what a fun ride.  Now, my question regarding the Breville is that I saw on Amazon (and I am aware of how unreliable that can be) that there were a lot of negative reviews from French Press folks--not sure if you had opinion on that.  The way I see it, going up $30 bucks to the Virtuoso just makes sense, that said, I would be willing to go to $300 if you recommended something that really was worthwhile.  I am certainly looking at this as an investment, because I feel the deeper we go, the more involved we will become.
 View Profile Link to this post
eastbaysanfranman
eastbaysanfranman

Espresso: Nueva Simmoneli Oscar
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky doserless
Vac Pot: Hario
Drip: Technivorm/Chemex/Espro...
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Sat Mar 29, 2014, 1:30am

I had the opportunity recently to have a new Smart grinder and a new Preciso at my house for a day and I took some really rough pics of the grounds with my phone. While looking at these keep in mind that neither had burrs which were seasoned at all and also I had no time to dial in a proper grind on either. This being said as I look at the grounds, while not perfect, the Preciso sure seems more uniform than the Smart. Does seasoning affect french press and brew grinds or is that only an espresso thing?

eastbaysanfranman: php3PoZeJAM.jpg
(Click for larger image)
eastbaysanfranman
eastbaysanfranman

Posted Sat Mar 29, 2014, 1:32am

Here is the Preciso. Let me know if the pictures are not resizing well. For some reason I can't "click to enlarge" any picture on my Macbook any longer. Can anybody help me out with that one?

eastbaysanfranman: phpx3K8T7AM.jpg
(Click for larger image)
eastbaysanfranman
eastbaysanfranman

Posted Sat Mar 29, 2014, 1:38am

Also Rich,

I believe you had noted in another post that the Preciso isn't a very good brew grinder. Are you stating that the Virtuoso is a better brew grinder? In Mark Princes writeup he noted that the Virtuoso was a little more uniform but that the Preciso had a distinct lack of fines. I bought one to get me through until we have enough room for Mr. Bunzilla!!
boar_d_laze

Espresso: La Cimbali M21 DT/1 Junior...
Grinder: Ceado E92; "Bunnzilla"
Vac Pot: Royal Coffee Maker
Drip: Chemex + Kone; Espro Press
Roaster: USRC Sample Roaster
Posted Sat Mar 29, 2014, 8:09am

Rich?  Me Rich?  

The Preciso is neither worse no better than the Virtuoso for pour-over or immersion (including press and Aeropress) brewing, just more expensive.  Also, the Preciso, Smart and Virtuoso are indistinguishable for those purposes.  If it needs saying, those are statements of opinion.            

Me Rich
moosepucky
moosepucky

Espresso: Pasquini Livia 90 auto
Grinder: Super Jolly - Forte BG -...
Vac Pot: Cona - Santos
Drip: Bodum - Chemex - Hario -...
Roaster: Hottop KN-8828-B
Posted Sun Mar 30, 2014, 5:58am

Headphase Said:

Thanks for the advice.  I really appreciate it, also a little scared because we have really rediscovered coffee over the past few months and, whew, what a fun ride.  Now, my question regarding the Breville is that I saw on Amazon (and I am aware of how unreliable that can be) that there were a lot of negative reviews from French Press folks--not sure if you had opinion on that.  The way I see it, going up $30 bucks to the Virtuoso just makes sense, that said, I would be willing to go to $300 if you recommended something that really was worthwhile.  I am certainly looking at this as an investment, because I feel the deeper we go, the more involved we will become.

I don't drink a lot of press coffee.  I am more of a "American cup of coffee" (filtered coffee) kind of guy.  There are times I prefer filtered coffee over espresso, though I have my machine warming up for espresso this morning...  BUT... I did have 2 cups of filtered coffee already while I am waiting for the espresso machine to get to a stable temp so I can start pulling shots.

You know you got it bad when you need a cup of coffee while you wait for your coffee machine to get up to a stable temperature so you can start making coffee.....

I always try a roast in the press just so that I know how it will taste in all brew methods I have been satisfied with both the Forte-BG and the Preciso/Esatto as far as the consistency and lack of fine particles.

I am sure there are better grinders for press but for my use, both electric grinders that I have are adequate for my needs.  I also have a OE modified Kyocera that I will use if both bean hoppers are filled with other roasts and I want to grind something different.  The PFP modified CM-50 (Kyocera) does a pretty good job too if you don't want to "decide" on an expensive electric right now.  Get a Kyocera or Hario (same grinder - different badge) and the OE-PFP mod to get you by.

Hario Mini "espresso" grinder on the left - OE-PFP Kyocera CM-50 press grinder on the right

moosepucky: kyo_mini.jpg
(Click for larger image)
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Grinder Help  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.284328937531)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+