Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
The *new* HG One 2014....
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > The *new* HG One...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
SpaceTime

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: 83 & 89 Cremina, 85 Coffex
Grinder: HG One, Pharos, LIDO
Drip: Freiling 33 & 44oz FP,...
Posted Mon May 26, 2014, 3:30pm
Subject: Re: The HG One got a makeover!!!  The new HG One 2014....

MarkPrince Said:

This is just my personal observation here. I am by no means saying "do not post links to HB or other sites" or saying anyone should stop doing that. The purpose of these forums I built back in 2002 was to share information, be it on this site, or any website.

But I see this from time to time... a thread starts here about a product, someone goes "oh, here's a discussion over on so and so site" and poof. Discussion dries up here.

I wish, sometimes, members here would just have the discussion here. I don't mind driving traffic to HB or other sites at all (and based on our logs, we drive a lot of traffic Dan's way), but personally, these redirects don't sit well with me. I'd like to see the information and discussion shared here more, instead of, for lack of a better word, "hijacked" the moment someone posts a link saying "hey, the's more info over there..."

Anyway, just a personal observation. I'm only upset that it kills convo here, not upset so much about the HB linking. Anyway, carry on.

Mark

Posted May 2, 2014 link

Mark - I only pointed folks there because after a few days, the post here on CG was not getting any action or replies, yet the thread over on HB was packed with activity / replies and great information in the same timeframe - I posted the link solely because the discussion here had already "dried up" and was not getting any interest.  

I was actually the first one to post the information about the HG One 2014 here on CG, and did so before the HG One thread was posted on HB (I had actually just spoke with Craig on the phone and he told me the website was just updated and it was officially "released")... this post did not "dry up" because of my point to HB, it was quite the opposite.  I was not even a member on HB until long after this post, my intent was to get the discussion here on CG, and it was met with crickets.  (and still is).

I just wanted the readers to get the best data possible, no malicious intent.  Nothing meant by it other than merely that.

As the editor / owner of CG, I do understand the motivation for your request, but understand my motivation was purely for informational purposes.  I will take note moving forward however...
 View Profile Link to this post
BLrdFX
BLrdFX

Espresso: L-I
Grinder: HG-1E mod, VL/terranova,...
Drip: Chemex
Roaster: Quest
Posted Mon May 26, 2014, 3:37pm

I am surprised that there are no members that are Posting about the 2014 HG-One on here.

I am getting plenty of interest in my Mods for the 2014 model, as well as the old model, so it surprises me that the interest here is not forthcoming.

Cheers,
Stephen
SpaceTime

Posted Mon May 26, 2014, 3:54pm

To be frank, in my observations on the CG Grinder board, there has been an avoidance / aversion to recommending manual grinders as a whole.  The "experts" or dominant posters tend to recommend motorized grinders of the commercial variety, and recommend manual grinders only as a follow on or secondary recommendation.  Just my humble observation / opinion... and I guess the press this thread has received kind of backs up my point just a little ;-)
BLrdFX
BLrdFX

Posted Mon May 26, 2014, 4:34pm

That might be true.  As someone who has owned several grinders I can say that there sure is a difference in taste/mouthfeel between the commercial electric grinder and a hand crank one.

When I was buying grinders I noticed that there was a difference between conical and flat burred grinders and since I sort of preferred the conical tastes I went with a Mazzer Kony-E.  I could not afford the Robur both in space and dollars so the Kony had to do.  It did.  

I already had the Pharos and was hooked on the conical flavors but when the HG-1 came out I could not help myself ("Hello, my name is Stephen and I am a grinderholic").  I bought the HG-1 and because of the big debate over on HB about the difference in burr size I got both the 71mm and the 83mm burr sets, complete with mountings so the swap was easy.  Great grinder, for a hand crank, for the home, with zero retention.

Do I like my powered grinders?  Yes I do, especially for parties and the Kony fills the bill for those times but for the daily grind I use the HG-1.

Somewhere along the way I felt I needed a flat burr grinder so I bought a Versalab and had it modded by Terranova.  Great grinder but different flavors from the same beans.  It sure is easy to use and fits under the kitchen's upper cabinets easily.  I still go back to the HG-1 for the daily brew.

Maybe if I had consumed a bunch of my wife's counter space, and my dollars, and had purchased a Robur, AND was willing to burn through a bunch of beans for the retention then I might use a Robur daily.

The HG-1 is a great grinder.
z0mbie
z0mbie
Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Mon May 26, 2014, 5:00pm

BLrdFX Said:

The HG-1 is a great grinder.

Posted May 26, 2014 link

that might be why there's not much to discuss :)
SpaceTime

Posted Mon May 26, 2014, 5:04pm

BLrdFX - Ditto.  My experience is much like yours - since owning the HG One, I no longer debate which is the "right" Titan conical grinder for my single dose / home routine... the HG One has nailed this need for me.  Most importantly, the results in the cup are right up there with any grinder, IMHO and the opinion of many others (and I won't point to anywhere else to back this up).
BLrdFX
BLrdFX

Posted Mon May 26, 2014, 5:13pm

I think you both are correct.  It appears that this Forum is my aware and practical :-)
SpaceTime

Posted Mon May 26, 2014, 5:19pm

z0mbie Said:

that might be why there's not much to discuss :)

Posted May 26, 2014 link

Since you own TWO HG One's, one would think you would have plenty to add / discuss!  :-)
BLrdFX
BLrdFX

Posted Mon May 26, 2014, 5:41pm

SpaceTime Said:

Since you own TWO HG One's, one would think you would have plenty to add / discuss!  :-)

Posted May 26, 2014 link

I don't think you were referring to me, but the 2 sets of burrs I have are for one grinder.  The 71mm burr has about zero difference from the Pharos and both the Pharos and the 71mm burr set for the HG-1 taste about the same.

Now that the HG-1 is getting more broken in it takes less cranks to get the job done than when it was new.  I suspect the new 2014 HG-One will be the same but it is only offered with 83mm burrs.
SpaceTime

Posted Mon May 26, 2014, 6:02pm

BLrdFX Said:

I don't think you were referring to me, but the 2 sets of burrs I have are for one grinder.  The 71mm burr has about zero difference from the Pharos and both the Pharos and the 71mm burr set for the HG-1 taste about the same.

Now that the HG-1 is getting more broken in it takes less cranks to get the job done than when it was new.  I suspect the new 2014 HG-One will be the same but it is only offered with 83mm burrs.

Posted May 26, 2014 link

No, as you can see I was quoting Scott - he owns two HG One's.

I also have the 71mm standard (non coated, non BB) burrs in my HG One, and have an 83mm burr mount on the side in case I ever want to try the 83mm burr set.  The fact you can change burr size on the HG One by merely swapping out the burr mount is also why it is a cool grinder.

I own both the Pharos and 71mm HG One grinders also, and both produce great results in the cup.  I have not done any side by side comparisons of the two, even if I did, it would not be scientific and mere conjecture due to the number of other variables that exist with producing shots on a manual lever.  The HG One is definitely easier, more convenient to use though than the Pharos... that much is a given.  One thing to note on my HG One with 71mm burrs - it takes me about 18 cranks to grind 15.5 g dose for my Cremina - it is lightning fast and very easy to crank.
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > The *new* HG One...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.343591928482)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+