Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Problems with Gaggia MDF Grinder ON/OFF switch
Craft Roasted Coffee
Some days you make the coffee. Other days the coffee makes you.
bit.ly/craftroasting-ks

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Problems with...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
thevinoman

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Gaggia
Grinder: Gaggia
Posted Fri Mar 14, 2014, 1:20pm
Subject: Problems with Gaggia MDF Grinder ON/OFF switch

Hi folks, My first post here, so please be nice…I have a basic Gaggia MDF grinder with a bad ON/Off switch.  It no longer “clicks”, but feels “mushy” and does not work at all.  I have looked every which way on the unit to try and figure out how to get to it, with no luck.  I can’t imagine it would be too difficult to fix or replace, and would rather do that than send it off somewhere, which I’m sure would cost a bunch.  Can anyone help me with instructions on how to open the unit so that I can see what’s going on inside and maybe repair this thing?  Thanks very much.
 View Profile Link to this post
Buckley

Posted Sat Mar 15, 2014, 5:55am
Subject: Re: Problems with Gaggia MDF Grinder ON/OFF switch

Dear Vinoman,
Your plea "please be nice" is understandable.  There are a lot of boorish, roughshod individuals who frequent this forum and think nothing of denigrating someone's posts.  On behalf of the impression that we collectively give to auditors (I prefer it to the term 'lurkers'), please accept my apologies for cultivating an atmosphere of discouragement to anyone who is considering corresponding with 'us'.

Now to answer your question:  the switch on my unit is okay but last year the fuse blew in the MDF.  It was most likely due to a lightening transient in the power line and not to a product weakness.  I corresponded with my vendor and was given instructions on how to get to the fuse.  Unfortunately, it is inside the unit and the hopper has to be removed and then the upper burrs taken off, replace the fuse, replace the upper burrs, recalibrate the burrs (they gave me instructions to do so) and replace the hopper.  I am assuming that you must do the same thing to get at the switch.  I am sorry but I cannot locate the instructions that were given to me, but I will keep on looking.  You might want to shoot an email to your vendor or, if it is second-hand, to Gaggia and see if they can be persuaded to reply with this readily available information.  Meanwhile, (pardon me for shouting):
DOES ANYONE HAVE DISASSEMBLY INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE GAGGIA MDF?

Good Luck,

Buck
thevinoman

Espresso: Gaggia
Grinder: Gaggia
Posted Sun Mar 16, 2014, 7:44pm

thank you Buck.  Appreciate your quick reply.  Yes, would be great if someone had disassembly instructions for the Gaggia MDF.  Please keep me posted.
Buckley

Posted Sun Mar 16, 2014, 10:57pm

Check these out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dT4CAJNjiWU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pCbhJDdsxE

and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50lkQiAd6pk

The first two are consistent with what you want to do but done by an amateur.
The last one is just burr removal and cleaning only but done by a professional.
You might want to check all three videos and compare.

If you need the exact switch, you might just email any online seller who carries the MDF and ask them if they can supply the part.  While I am thinking about it, you can just ask any seller to email you the printed dissassembly instrucxtions.  If they refuse, there is always another seller to ask but coffee people are a tight group and seem to support one another.

Good Luck

Buckley
kray

Espresso: Vibiemme Junior HX
Grinder: Macap MX
Posted Sat Mar 22, 2014, 8:05am

If you do take the MDF apart, you might also think about doing the steppless mod. Instructions are here:

Click Here (www.home-barista.com)

I did this to my MDF a couple years ago and it vastly improved the machine. I highly recommend it.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Problems with...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.1985039711)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+