Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
What number do you have your Rancillio Rocky set to?
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > What number do...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
christoz

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Tue Mar 11, 2014, 11:02pm
Subject: What number do you have your Rancillio Rocky set to?

I'm trying to dial in my Rocky and Cremina. The Rocky is new (been through 3 lbs of coffee). The burrs touch at about a setting of 3. I'm using a setting on the 16. Anyone with a Rocky want to chime in with the setting they use? Thanks

Chris
 View Profile Link to this post
NobbyR
NobbyR
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Poccino Opus One, Ariete
Grinder: Eureka Mignon Istantaneo
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Melitta Linea Unica de Luxe
Roaster: N/A
Posted Wed Mar 12, 2014, 5:06am
Subject: Re: What number do you have your Rancillio Rocky set to?

There's no general rule, because the setting can differ from grinder to grinder, for their ex factory calibration might not be the same. Apart from that, different beans might require individual settings.

The problem with dialing in the Rancilio Rocky is that it's a stepped grinder with all its disadvantages, and the steps are pretty wide, too. Therefore, when you try to dial in the Rocky correctly, you can end up stuck in between two steps, i.e. one setting is too coarse and the next too fine for proper extraction, because the ideal setting would be in between these two steps. You might try to tamp differently to some effect, but the only way to really compensate this shortcomming is to adjust your dose accordingly, which can alter taste significantly.

The key to brewing great espresso is to work conistently as far as dose, distribution, tamping, and in case of your lever machine manual brewing pressure are concerned. Using a digital scale for dosing, and the Weiss distribution technique, and tamping as hard as you can each and every time might help. Handling the lever consistently requires quite some practice, though.

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
dwRK

Posted Wed Mar 12, 2014, 7:45am

i'm gonna guess the Cremina is also new to you...admire you courage, welcome and all the best in your learning curve...you're trying to dial in a new (not so good now) grinder at the same time learning to pull a consistent shot with a lever...just thinking out loud you have too many variables to work on for someone new...

my suggestions are to try sign up for classes bring your rocky/cremina if they let you, or get with someone experienced to give you a hands on, or borrow/buy a temporary pump machine to get started/use as reference.

to try to be lucky...go to a good cafe...ask what are they running, get a few shots remembering how it looks like, the smell and taste and buy that bean so now you know what to expect...you know your zero point so i'm gonna guess backing it out 3-5 clicks to get started...try to pull about 25 sec shot...keep tasting and adjusting until you get close

i've neither a rocky or cremina...but that's what i'll do if i were in your position...
christoz

Posted Wed Mar 12, 2014, 1:52pm

Exactly! First espresso machine, first grinder.  Not the easiest 1st-time machine or combo, but it's fun trying to get it right.  Doing it by myself at home is a challenge.  I know the grinders are different and there is no 'right' number but if i get 8 answers, 6 of them are somewhere between 6 and 9 and I'm on 17, I'll know that in all probability I'm grinding too course.  I'm getting some good crema but I think I'm still a long way from where I want to end up.  Need the bottomless portafilter so I can get a visual on what's happening. I'm not looking for the touchdown, just trying to get inside the 20 so I've got a shot at scoring.  I've done about all the forum reading and youtube watching that can be done! So come on Rocky users, share that dial-number! Thanks and love the forum.

Chris
sonnyhad3

Espresso: Wega Mininova, Cremina, and...
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky, hand...
Roaster: Behmor1600
Posted Wed Mar 12, 2014, 10:17pm

Actually my rocky is below the zero mark.  But since i got my cremina, i started using  a hand grinder and it did a better job than the Rocky
Then i got a Pharos grinder and wow, its a challenge dialing it in, but the taste differences is something you owe yourself to check out. See if someone in your area has one you can do a sample grind on !
When i have company and do lattes, thats the only timei use the Rocky now!
I Dont think you can get the Rocky fine enough even when the burrs are touching to choke the Cremina! Dont be afraid to dialit right down bump the grinder and while its spining make your adjustments.
SpaceTime

Espresso: 83 & 89 Cremina, 85 Coffex
Grinder: HG One, Pharos, LIDO
Drip: Freiling 33 & 44oz FP,...
Posted Thu Mar 13, 2014, 12:02pm

There is so much information on the web, you tube, this site and HB that Cremina courses are not necessary.  I picked up a Cremina about six weeks ago, was able to rebuild flawlessly, and try all sorts of suggested methods from my laptop alone.  This machine is well chronicled with documented information /  techniques and that may be all that most need.  And the luxury is it is such a great machine that it is literally hard to screw up no matter what you do.  LOL  Seriously, you can turn a bad grind, dose and tamp into an acceptable shot just by adjusting on the fly.  It is amazing - I read so much of the "on the fly" adjustments before buying and thought "yeah right" but it is true.  (I bought a second Cremina to rebuild for a second location - they are a great machine).

The Cremina is so forgiving that it might even be enough to make the Rocky look like an acceptable choice!  :-)

But even the forgiving Cremina benefits from a good grinder, and I am going to say it directly - get a better one than the Rocky.  Maybe step up to a refurbed or new Vario?  Many have paired the Vario with the Cremina with great results.  The Vario gives a nice fluffy grind and can be found used or refurbed for less than $400.  Even if you decide to save a buck and get the quirky, hard to get the grinds out of Pharos (it is what I use - I am a glutton for punishment), improving your grind will give you light years better shots.  And the Pharos / Rocky would be a straight across trade if you sold the Rocky - $250 for a Pharos.  Of course, the Pharos is not for everyone - understood.

Either way, great choice of machines - the Cremina will give you an appreciation for making shots at the most fundamental level.  It is like I tell those looking to get into Astronomy who want to start out with a $5K telescope - get a pair of $100 7x50 or 10x50 binos and a sky map and learn your way around the sky before dumping all your cash on something that might be over your head and end up frustrating you because you don't understand the trade.

Of course - MHO and YMMV.
kennyrsmith

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Dalla Corte Mini
Grinder: Mahlkonig Pro M/Baratza...
Posted Thu Mar 13, 2014, 5:15pm

I've trained a few people with a Rocky/Silvia setup. In my last training we were set to an 8 or 9 with an 18-20g dose. The shots looked great! I agree that every grinder is different and you will need to play around with it to find the right setting for your setup. Good luck!
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > What number do...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.218043088913)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+