Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
I am having serious issues dialing the right grind size with my Baratza Encore.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > I am having...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
asf1187

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Fri Mar 7, 2014, 3:07pm
Subject: I am having serious issues dialing the right grind size with my Baratza Encore.

Ever since I got my Baratza Encore, I've failed to make a good cup with my aeropress or my french press. I've seen all of the recommended grind size numbers, but none seem accurate for me.
I tried using sizes 10-14 for normal aeropress, 16-20 for inverted, none of which seemed to taste "right". There was always some odd aftertaste. I usually do the hearts method for normal aeropress, or the tonx inverted method (no bloom, 1:30 steep. 14g coffee 220g water stir, plunge).
With the french press, which I just got, I have tried 28-32. I am using a 3 cup french press, so I do 19g coffee 3 min steep time (60 sec bloom then stir).
I use fresh coffee that I roast with a popper. I assume it's not my beans because my espresso comes out fine! Please help me figure this out!
 View Profile Link to this post
SproBro

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: CC1 v1.5
Grinder: Compak K10PB, Vario
Posted Fri Mar 7, 2014, 6:04pm
Subject: Re: I am having serious issues...

For clarification:
Are you using your encore for espresso?
If it is anything like the Vario, it is calibrated way too fine to do a french press, and your likely over/under extracting.

What is the off flavor?
Sour? Bitter? Wood? Metallic?
Is it just like *smack smack smack* meh flavor? Probobly too many bitters getting extracted - your grinder might be putting out alot of fines that are putting extra bitters into your brews. It is my understanding entry level burr grinders do much better at fine grinds than coarse ones in terms of consistency of particle size.
TheRealScubaSteve
TheRealScubaSteve

Espresso: Delonghi EC155
Grinder: Baratza Encore
Posted Fri Mar 7, 2014, 11:05pm

I just received my Aeropress this week and have only used it twice so far, but with my Encore calibrated to the finest setting, I found that 16 worked pretty well. Wasn't great, but that is primarily because I don't care for the taste of my espresso blend for a regular cup. No bitter or sour flavors. Have you calibrated your grinder or is it as it was from the factory?

"But it is not a perfect world and none of us are god-shots.  As for me, I am a little over extracted and therefore slightly bitter and my crema is thin..." -Buckley
moosepucky
moosepucky
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Pasquini Livia 90 auto
Grinder: Super Jolly - Forte BG -...
Vac Pot: Cona - Santos
Drip: Bodum - Chemex - Hario -...
Roaster: Hottop KN-8828-B
Posted Sat Mar 8, 2014, 4:52am
Subject: Re: I am having serious issues dialing the right grind size with my Encore.

asf1187 Said:

I've seen all of the recommended grind size numbers, but none seem accurate for me.
, none of which seemed to taste "right". There was always some odd aftertaste.

Posted March 7, 2014 link

I'm having a difficult time understanding whether your issue is with the grind quality or the taste of your coffee?

If it is a "grind quality issue" you can re-calibrate as has been recommended by following the procedures outlined in their service guide http://www.baratza.com/wp-content/uploads/recalibration.pdf

If it is a "taste of the coffee" issue, try again using a different batch of beans or a roast from a commercial roasting house before trying to adjust the grinder as long as the grind consistency is where you want it with the present calibration settings.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
asf1187

Posted Sat Mar 8, 2014, 12:04pm

Mine is how it came from the factory. Should I open it up and change how it comes calibrated?
asf1187

Posted Sat Mar 8, 2014, 12:07pm

SproBro Said:

For clarification:
Are you using your encore for espresso?
If it is anything like the Vario, it is calibrated way too fine to do a french press, and your likely over/under extracting.

What is the off flavor?
Sour? Bitter? Wood? Metallic?
Is it just like *smack smack smack* meh flavor? Probobly too many bitters getting extracted - your grinder might be putting out alot of fines that are putting extra bitters into your brews. It is my understanding entry level burr grinders do much better at fine grinds than coarse ones in terms of consistency of particle size.

Posted March 7, 2014 link

There's some odd aftertaste. It's just extremely bitter, and I really don't know how to describe it. Its just, horrid really. I've heard of some other people having this problem, but they haven't reported how to fix the problem.

moosepucky Said:

I'm having a difficult time understanding whether your issue is with the grind quality or the taste of your coffee?

If it is a "grind quality issue" you can re-calibrate as has been recommended by following the procedures outlined in their service guide http://www.baratza.com/wp-content/uploads/recalibration.pdf

If it is a "taste of the coffee" issue, try again using a different batch of beans or a roast from a commercial roasting house before trying to adjust the grinder as long as the grind consistency is where you want it with the present calibration settings.

Posted March 8, 2014 link

My problem is with the taste, not the quality. It's very uniform when the grind is past setting 25!
Frost
Frost
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Isomac Venus
Grinder: Lelit PL53
Roaster: Poppery I w/variac, MET, BT
Posted Sat Mar 8, 2014, 3:46pm
Subject: Re: I am having serious issues........................

What you describe sounds more like a roast or coffee defect, like under-developed roast. Dry, bitter, astringent finish.
TheRealScubaSteve
TheRealScubaSteve

Espresso: Delonghi EC155
Grinder: Baratza Encore
Posted Mon Mar 10, 2014, 7:52pm

asf1187 Said:

Mine is how it came from the factory. Should I open it up and change how it comes calibrated?

Posted March 8, 2014 link

Unless you use it for espresso, I don't really see a reason to. You can change it for a finer grind as well as courser. From what I've heard (since I don't own one) grinding on the Encore for French Press is too inconsistent for good results. I would keep playing with the grind and/or dose until you get better results.

Have you tried using different beans roasted by someone else? There are many roasters with reasonable costs and low shipping if that would be an issue.

"But it is not a perfect world and none of us are god-shots.  As for me, I am a little over extracted and therefore slightly bitter and my crema is thin..." -Buckley
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > I am having...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Great Espresso at Home
Curated selection of the best machines from La Spaziale, Izzo, Quick Mill, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.283251047134)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+