Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Looking for a decent hand/manual adjustable grinder
Grey Seal Coffee
We Roast Exceptional Coffee. See Our Brew Guides And Our Coffee Courses. 10% off with 'coffeegeek'!
greysealcoffee.co.uk

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Looking for a...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
skiezo

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Fri Feb 28, 2014, 9:24am
Subject: Looking for a decent hand/manual adjustable grinder

I do mainly moka pots and have quite a few that I like to use. Some require different grinds. I am looking for a decent hand/manual grinder that is adjustable for different grinds. Looking for suggestions as the some that are good, will last and are not  
real complex.
My KA proline is OK but not great as the grind is inconsistent.
So help me pick a good hand/manual grinder please.

Thanks Brian
 View Profile Link to this post
boar_d_laze

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: La Cimbali M21 DT/1 Junior...
Grinder: Ceado E92; "Bunnzilla"
Vac Pot: Royal Coffee Maker
Drip: Chemex + Kone; Espro Press
Roaster: USRC Sample Roaster
Posted Fri Feb 28, 2014, 10:35am
Subject: Re: Looking for a decent hand/manual adjustable grinder

There are exactly two "better than good," hand cranked espresso grinders.  They are the Orphan Espresso Pharos and the HG1.  

The Pharos is an excellent espresso grinder, with a few idiosyncrasies and inconveniences.  It is $250ish, but only sporadically available.  If you're interested (you should be), you'll have to check the Orphan Espresso daily, and jump on the opportunity when they're offered for sale.  You snooze you lose.

The HG1 is a hand cranked, "Titan" conical grinder.  $800ish.  If it doesn't grind espresso as well as it can be ground, it's damn close.    

It's hard to separate its new to the market buzz from reality; but based on what I've heard (never tried it, myself) the Hausgrind by Knock grinds espresso as well as a burr set that small can perform.  Call it the border of adequate and good.

The Orphan Espresso Lido 2, supposedly grinds as well as the Hausgrind; but is supposedly more difficult to turn at that fine a grind.

I find the Hausgrind and Lido more interesting for their brew capabilities than for espresso.  

The Rosco and Rosco Mini are beautifully machined, brass, small, manual espresso grinders. They supposedly (no personal experience) grind as well as the Hausgrind and Lido, but material and workmanship at that level doesn't come cheap. The Rosco is $450AUD, and the Mini is $360AUD. Shipping to the US is $60AUD. They are an especially good choice to work within the Portapresso "Rossa" portable espresso systems.  

At the lower end of the price scale, people using Harios and Kycoeras modded for "stepless" adjustment report good results.  Everyone has their tastes and standards, no one's more valid than another's. Personally, I find them inadequate for espresso and inconvenient to boot.

Rich
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
skiezo

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Sat Mar 1, 2014, 11:34am

I contacted Knock and am waiting to hear back from them as well as what options they will be offering on there next run.

Thanks
faaparasite

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Bezzera BZ99
Grinder: Mazzer Super Jolly
Drip: Technivorm
Posted Tue Mar 4, 2014, 8:51am

I really like my little Kyocera.  The one I have is not made anymore.  If I were to buy another, I'd get this one.  They changed the design a bit with this one and it doesn't adjust like mine, but it does have ceramic conical burrs which are similar, but larger.  The one I have will only grind about 14g at a whack and this one looks like it will do quite a bit more although it's not quite as good for travel.  You can get one on Amazon for $28 shipped which seems like a steal.  I think I paid about twice that for mine.   This one is well reviewed on Amazon and there's plenty of stuff on the youtubes about it.

I've had mine for many years and it still works like a champ.  The burrs are made from Kyocera ceramic which is amazing.  Even after several years of use the grind is very consistent and I can't tell any difference from when the grinder was new.  I use it primarily with my Aeropress.  I've never used it for espresso, but I have no doubt it would go that fine and perhaps all the way to Turkish although certainly this would require a lot of cranking.  It takes about two minutes to grind 14g and I typically grind as fine as the Aeropress will take.  I almost always use a medium roast which requires a bit more cranking effort, but it's not that bad.  I suspect it would work quite well for your moka pot.  About the only complaint I have is it's a bit hard to hold while cranking.  I think the newer design is probably significantly better in this regard because it is larger.
MikeReilly

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Cimbali Junior Gaggia...
Grinder: Pharos CC45 Mazzer Mini
Drip: Cuisinart
Roaster: Behmor, I-Roast 2, Popper
Posted Sat Mar 8, 2014, 8:13am

boar_d_laze Said:

The Pharos is an excellent espresso grinder, with a few idiosyncrasies and inconveniences.  It is $250ish, but only sporadically available.  If you're interested (you should be), you'll have to check the Orphan Espresso daily, and jump on the opportunity when they're offered for sale.  You snooze you lose.

The HG1 is a hand cranked, "Titan" conical grinder.  $800ish.  If it doesn't grind espresso as well as it can be ground, it's damn close.    

Rich

Posted February 28, 2014 link

The Pharos and HG1 are both titan class grinders (68mm and 71 or 83mm conicals respectively).  For Mocha pot, though, I'd expect titan class grinders could possibly be overkill.
boar_d_laze

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: La Cimbali M21 DT/1 Junior...
Grinder: Ceado E92; "Bunnzilla"
Vac Pot: Royal Coffee Maker
Drip: Chemex + Kone; Espro Press
Roaster: USRC Sample Roaster
Posted Sat Mar 8, 2014, 9:39am

MikeReilly Said:

The Pharos and HG1 are both titan class grinders (68mm and 71 or 83mm conicals respectively).

Posted March 8, 2014 link

Mike,

Depends what you mean by "Titan."  I excluded the Pharos from the class solely because of its size and weight, and not at all because of burr-size or performance.  The Titan Grinder Project thread at H-B created the term.  In its introduction, footprint, weight and usual use in a commercial setting are mentioned as criteria.

If you'll look again at that part of my post which you quoted, you'll see that I expressly referred to the HG-1 as a Titan because, in my opinion, it's big enough.  

I'm open to admitting the Pharos into the fraternity of Titans, but don't see that the opinion matters much. Titan is just a word.

For Mocha pot, though, I'd expect titan class grinders could possibly be overkill.

You may be right about overkill.  I'm not enough of a moka pot guy to have any sense of the method's limits vis a vis the grinder.  I'll defer to your greater experience.

The OP was very specific about a grinder for moka pot.  It was a mistake on my part to over emphasize espresso grinding.  This IS the "Espresso" "Grinders" thread, and I've been doing an awful lot of research on Titan grinders recently.  Perhaps my error was understandable if not excusable.  Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea bigga gulpa.  

If I were buying a reasonably sized grinder for moka pot use on a (cough) reasonable budget, it would be a Baratza Virtuoso or Breville Smart electric; or a Hausgrind or a Lido 2 manual (I know the two manuals only by reputation).  If size and money weren't important, I'd put together a Bunnzilla, which -- if brew only grinders can be Titans -- is a Titan in its own right.  

Rich
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Looking for a...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.271373987198)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+