Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Rossi grinder?
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Rossi grinder?  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
boar_d_laze

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: La Cimbali M21 DT/1 Junior...
Grinder: Ceado E92; "Bunnzilla"
Vac Pot: Royal Coffee Maker
Drip: Chemex + Kone; Espro Press
Roaster: USRC Sample Roaster
Posted Thu Feb 20, 2014, 6:21pm
Subject: Re: Rossi grinder?

calblacksmith Said:

Rich, yep, we are both on the same page. No harm in trying for less though :D

Posted February 20, 2014 link

Wayne,

:D

Rich
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
johnboddie

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: MCAL, Brasilia Mini Classic,...
Grinder: Rossi RR45a,Rocky,...
Drip: Cuisinart (non-grinding)
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Thu Feb 20, 2014, 7:07pm

This is a Rossi RR45a. The cord from the main body to the doser cover powers a membrane sensor that will automatically keep the doser filled. If you are using the grinder at home, you'll be toggling the switch to control how much you are grinding.

I have one of these grinders and I've been very pleased with it. We have a Mazzer Major at work and I can't detect any significant difference in grind quality. 80 steps may not give you exactly the control you'd have with a stepless grinder, but all you need to do is remove the detent pin if you want stepless.

I got mine for about $250 two years ago and I feel no compulsion to upgrade.

There are some decent reviews (including mine) in the consumer reviews section.
 View Profile Link to this post
acasabia
acasabia

Espresso: Expobar Brewtus iv-p,...
Grinder: Quamar M80e, Hario slim
Vac Pot: Yama Vacpot, Aeropress,
Drip: french press
Roaster: hot-air popper.
Posted Thu Feb 20, 2014, 9:33pm

calblacksmith Said:

UH, no a Rossi is a different grinder, the only thing they have in common is that they have hoppers, dosers and are commercial..

My bad, just realized I was thinking of "Rio"

Anthony C

Currently pulling:
Path Coffee Roasters (PortChester, NY) Feather in cap espresso.

Cold Brewing:
Gimme! (ithaca, NY) Moca Java

http://coffeeandneuroscience.wordpress.com/
bossman

Espresso: Mini Vivladi II
Grinder: Baratza Vario-W
Drip: Cuisinart
Roaster: Soon I hope
Posted Fri Feb 21, 2014, 5:53am

So far no response to my email so I have not even received any further details.
bossman

Posted Fri Feb 21, 2014, 6:28am

johnboddie Said:

This is a Rossi RR45a. The cord from the main body to the doser cover powers a membrane sensor that will automatically keep the doser filled. If you are using the grinder at home, you'll be toggling the switch to control how much you are grinding.

I have one of these grinders and I've been very pleased with it. We have a Mazzer Major at work and I can't detect any significant difference in grind quality. 80 steps may not give you exactly the control you'd have with a stepless grinder, but all you need to do is remove the detent pin if you want stepless.

I got mine for about $250 two years ago and I feel no compulsion to upgrade.

There are some decent reviews (including mine) in the consumer reviews section.

So this model comes with the 80 adjustment collar not the 40?
boar_d_laze

Espresso: La Cimbali M21 DT/1 Junior...
Grinder: Ceado E92; "Bunnzilla"
Vac Pot: Royal Coffee Maker
Drip: Chemex + Kone; Espro Press
Roaster: USRC Sample Roaster
Posted Fri Feb 21, 2014, 8:11am

Or plug the grinder into a timer, like the Auber grinder timer or a darkroom timer.

I have one of these grinders and I've been very pleased with it. We have a Mazzer Major at work and I can't detect any significant difference in grind quality.

Troubling.

Troubling not in the sense that I don't believe you, but in the sense that I believe you are reporting (your impressions) accurately. A Major's 83mm burrs and more powerful, slower rotating motor should make its "in the cup" performance significantly better for mouthfeel, top-end "sparkle," nuance and separation.    

If a Robur's not really better than a Major, and a Major's not really better than a Rossi, and Rossi's about the same as an SJ, and an SJ's not really better than a Vario, and a Vario's not really better than a Mignon... we're heading towards "all good grinders are good grinders, regardless of price, and they're all pretty much the same."  Yet we know that while some grinders are over-achievers for their price, the general proposition that all good grinders are very similar isn't true.

(Before everyone starts picking my remark apart, I'm not arguing that an SJ grinds any better than the Rossi.  I included the SJ, because the "experts say the Vario is as good as an SJ" thing is frequently aired, just as the Vario/Mignon comparison is popular on UK and Oz websites.)  

Without any criticism of the RR45, my experience is that:
  1. Grinder "in the cup" performance tends to run with the general class of grinders;
  2. For "in the cup," class is largely determined by burr size and geometry more than build quality, or feature set;
  3. Superiority is not necessarily a step by step continuum.  The performance of the best performing grinders in a given class will overlap the performance of the lesser grinders in the next class up.  But skip a class and the differences fall into sharp relief; and
  4. A Mignon is not a Major.  
  5. QED.

So far no response to my email so I have not even received any further details.

Too soon to worry about it.  If you haven't heard by Saturday AM and you still actually want the grinder, consider upping your offer to asking price.  If it's as lightly used as she said, and there's a good long-term source for burrs, it's worth $250.  The very similar Quamar M80 goes for $450, NIB.  (Note: My RR45/Quamar comparison is not based on use of either, but on their respective burr sets, and the nearly identical things their respective users say about them.

H-B did a comparison review of the Quamar, Super Jolly, and Ceado E7.  You might want to take a look at it, in addition to the CG user reviews of the Rossi, while your offer's on the table and you still have the opportunity to raise or withdraw.    

BDL
bossman

Posted Fri Feb 21, 2014, 8:24am

I have not made an offer yet, I wanted to verify the condition and how it has been stored first.  If she does not respond to my email by tomorrow afternoon I will try the phone number she has listed, I just prefer to try email first.  I don't need it, I am sure my Vario-W will be fine for my needs.  I just think it will look great in my coffee bar/room I am putting together lol.  I made my son give up one of his 3 playrooms so I can have a coffee room.  I have a big kitchen but I love kitchen gadgets and my ample counter space is getting too crowded.
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Rossi grinder?  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.260803937912)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+