Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Baratza Vario, -W or Rancilio Rocky
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Baratza Vario,...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
bossman

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Mini Vivladi II
Grinder: Baratza Vario-W
Drip: Cuisinart
Roaster: Soon I hope
Posted Fri Feb 14, 2014, 8:04pm
Subject: Baratza Vario, -W or Rancilio Rocky

I posted in the machine thread after I though I had decided on a grinder, either the Vario or Vario-W, but then I cam across the Rancilio Rocky.  The Rocky is ~$80 less than the Vario and $190 less then the -W version.  The rocky is very highly rated on Amazon and a lot of the people posting seem to be using it for espresso.  Considering my budget is ~$800 for both machine and grinder I am wondering is going with the Rocky would work.  I just want good espresso for lattes.  I am a bit picky but not as particular as some might be.

Anybody used both grinders? Pros/cons?
 View Profile Link to this post
rbkool

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Fri Feb 14, 2014, 8:37pm
Subject: Re: Baratza Vario, -W or Rancilio Rocky

You might try the search function... It should provide about 500 relevant comparison/evaluation posts of those particular grinders.

Coles notes? Get the vario.
moosepucky
moosepucky
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Pasquini Livia 90 auto
Grinder: Super Jolly - Forte BG -...
Vac Pot: Cona - Santos
Drip: Bodum - Chemex - Hario -...
Roaster: Hottop KN-8828-B
Posted Sat Feb 15, 2014, 11:40am

I cannot speak to the Rocky as an espresso grinder as I have not owned one.

I CAN speak first hand about the Vario-W as this was my first espresso grinder and I was extremely satisfied with how it performed.  Had I not stumbled into a bargain basement priced super jolly then modified it for time based dosing I would still be using my Vario-W today as my only espresso grinder

The weight based option was nice for getting exact amounts of grounds over and over again with NO variation in weight.  

I would recommend you wait and save more $$$ if you need to in order to get the Vario-W over the standard time based Vario (it was worth it for me).  Pick up one of the orphan espresso portafilter dosing funnels to make getting the grounds from the hopper into the portafilter without spilling any as this combination worked out spank'in for me.

Link to: Orphan Espresso Dosing Funnel Page

moosepucky: 16oz_hand_double3.jpg
(Click for larger image)
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
CoffeeRon
CoffeeRon

Espresso: Wega Lyra, Europiccola(still...
Grinder: Macap M7D, Pharos, Vario W,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam CoffeeMaster
Drip: Melita BCM-4
Roaster: FR SR500,B-1600, SC/TO
Posted Sat Feb 15, 2014, 2:02pm

I have to agree, I just recieved my Vario-W on Wed. and absolutely love it! single dosing my K-6 was getting old. I have no experience with the Rocky but from everything I've read here and around it is outdated. There are better espresso grinders out there for the same $ now a days.

Edit- just remembered seeing you just ordered the Vario-W and CC1. Good choice I would say. Upgradeitis should be nowhere in your near future!
bossman

Posted Sat Feb 15, 2014, 8:24pm

Thanks for the replies.  I opted for the refurb Vario-W and I am going to pair it with a CC1.
moosepucky
moosepucky

Posted Sun Feb 16, 2014, 10:23am

bossman Said:

Thanks for the replies.  I opted for the refurb Vario-W and I am going to pair it with a CC1.

Posted February 15, 2014 link

Always remember to start the grinder running before you make any grind setting changes (either up or down).

This is the weak point of the Vario.....  It needs to have the burrs spinning if you are going to change your grind settings.

I found that using it exclusively for espresso worked out the best as I only needed to change the grind settings when I switched beans (different roast or origin).  I used another grinder for press, pour over, and drip grinding and kept my Vario-W set the same just about all the time.

Using any one grinder as an "all purpose" grinder is difficult as it takes a couple of shots to get any grinder "dialed in" for the perfect espresso shot.

I'd still have my Vario-W if I had not tried to change it up to work as a brew grinder by adding steel burrs.  It never worked after that foolish adventure and I ended up sending it back to Baratza for a credit toward a Forte brew grinder (steel burrs already installed).

moosepucky: vario-preciso.jpg
(Click for larger image)
bossman

Posted Sun Feb 16, 2014, 12:27pm

I know that I have read that you should always change the settings when running on grinders, but yet on all of the reviews on the Vario from SCG, Chris's coffee and even one from the maker that is never mentioned or done in the videos.
CoffeeRon
CoffeeRon

Espresso: Wega Lyra, Europiccola(still...
Grinder: Macap M7D, Pharos, Vario W,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam CoffeeMaster
Drip: Melita BCM-4
Roaster: FR SR500,B-1600, SC/TO
Posted Sun Feb 16, 2014, 12:31pm

bossman Said:

I know that I have read that you should always change the settings when running on grinders, but yet on all of the reviews on the Vario from SCG, Chris's coffee and even one from the maker that is never mentioned or done in the videos.

Posted February 16, 2014 link

Personally I would like mine to work good/last a looong time so I'll be erring on the side of caution on this point. I did read somewhere that you don't need to do it for fine adjustments but I notice a bit of resistance when it's not running so I decided I would just run it.
bossman

Posted Sun Feb 16, 2014, 1:19pm

CoffeeRon Said:

Personally I would like mine to work good/last a looong time so I'll be erring on the side of caution on this point. I did read somewhere that you don't need to do it for fine adjustments but I notice a bit of resistance when it's not running so I decided I would just run it.

Posted February 16, 2014 link

Understood, thanks.  Makes sense when you spend so much on a grinder.
moosepucky
moosepucky

Posted Sun Feb 16, 2014, 3:54pm

It is a longevity thing.  You can run the grinder while making grind setting changes or you can purchase some replacement parts and then go into the grinder when it starts acting up.

I can say that for the almost decade that I owned a maestro plus I never ran the grinder while making grind setting changes and I never had any problem with my grinder.  I did replace a lot of the plastic internals when I did the gearbox rebuild but the grinder was still operating as it did when it was new.  I just figured the grinder was apart so it was the right time to change out a few other things too.  I also lowered the motor speed which I think helps it out a bit too (not a recommendation, just saying is all.....)
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Baratza Vario,...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.297400951385)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+