Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Newbie: Grinder Help Plz :)
Don't suffer bad espresso
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, VBM, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Newbie: Grinder...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 4 last page next page
Author Messages
ODandy

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Sat Feb 15, 2014, 5:19pm
Subject: Newbie: Grinder Help Plz :)

Hey There!

I figured I'd reach out to the community at large. I'm just beginning my espresso journey and I'm stuck on which grinder would suit me best.
I purchased a Gaggia Classic and now I need to find a grinder. I have a few ideas of what would work but I'm torn. I threw a post in the BST forum asking about a Rocky or a Preciso in case someone wants to get rid of one for a good price.

In retrospect though I'm not even sure I need something that serious. I don't really want to spend more then ~$200 or $250 on a grinder, I also don't want one that will suck and not deliver on a nice shot of espresso (Which I'm not sure I'd even be able to tell at this point, as I said earlier I'm a noob)

So guys I'm at your mercy, what should I do? Would a Baratza Encore work fine? Or should I go for something pricier and nicer? (much to my wifes chagrin haha)

Mike
 View Profile Link to this post
Skylar

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: lelit espresso
Grinder: lelit grinder
Vac Pot: B. D. Electric
Drip: chemex
Roaster: wok roast and popper, heat...
Posted Sat Feb 15, 2014, 5:31pm
Subject: Re: Newbie: Grinder Help Plz :)

lelit pl53 $269.  FOR ESPRESSO ONLY.
moosepucky
moosepucky
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Pasquini Livia 90 auto
Grinder: Super Jolly - Forte BG -...
Vac Pot: Cona - Santos
Drip: Bodum - Chemex - Hario -...
Roaster: Hottop KN-8828-B
Posted Sat Feb 15, 2014, 5:32pm

About the most "bargain priced" grinder that makes acceptable espresso (fine and consistent enough time after time) would be the Baratza Preciso and even this I recommend with trepidation.

You Don't say what you are now using so I have no starting point to work forward from.

I have my Preciso set to be a brew grinder for coarser grinding tasks (not fine espresso or turkish).  The internal adjustment is all the way to the coarse side so I doubt I could even get a decent espresso grind with it closed all the way down now.

Others have commented that the Preciso is acceptable as an espresso grinder and I know for a fact that it is great for coarser grinding as that is all I have ever used mine for since I have other grinders for espresso.

If you can put together more money you will have more choices but at your price point there is not a lot out there that you will hang on to for very long (i.e. you'll be looking to upgrade very soon after you get it out of the box)
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
ODandy

Posted Sat Feb 15, 2014, 5:39pm

I actually have no grinder now, so my starting point is quite low I guess haha. What would you guys say is an acceptable starting point i.e I won't want to replace it immediately?

I would like to add that I also have a French press so it'd be nice if I could do a coarse grind for that once in awhile.
D4F

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Sat Feb 15, 2014, 5:47pm

I have a Gaggia Classic with the Preciso grinder.  I think that it works well and have had mine for two years.  I was able to purchase the Preciso refurb factory direct and that was about $250 shipped in CONUS. Your prices may vary as well as available grinders.  You will need very fine steps or stepless for espresso and that leaves out the lesser priced Baratzas, as well as many other brands.  Avoid Rocky for that reason unless you like to mod to make it stepless.

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
Skylar

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: lelit espresso
Grinder: lelit grinder
Vac Pot: B. D. Electric
Drip: chemex
Roaster: wok roast and popper, heat...
Posted Sat Feb 15, 2014, 5:47pm

To communicate at greater length. The Baratza grinders of lower price are not what you want for espresso. The  P and the V are a higher price than you post. The Rocky is considered woefully outdated and out classed by the members of CG. Do not purchase it. If you do you will be mocked mercilessly (just kidding). Really though, it is not what most here would suggest. Most WOULD suggest a stepless grinder and that the Lelit is. If you want to use what you purchase for anything else but espresso banish the Lelit from your consideration. It really is for espresso only  but I would, from my experience, say it does that quite well.

Good luck.  Sky

Regards to the wife.
ODandy

Posted Sat Feb 15, 2014, 5:53pm

Thank you everyone for your awesome advice! I will avoid the Rocky and see about a Preciso I think. This LeLit PL53 is very intriguing though. I read that the Baratza Virtuoso has Preciso burrs, is the Preciso a very large step up from the Virtuoso?

Unfortunately Baratza doesn't ship their refurbs to Canada otherwise I would have probably pulled the trigger on it already.

Thanks for all the help everyone, also my Wife sends her regards back Skylar lol.

Mike
D4F

Posted Sat Feb 15, 2014, 5:59pm

Preciso had micro-adjustment/steps, Virtuoso does not.

D4F also at
ODandy

Posted Sat Feb 15, 2014, 6:04pm

Those would be essential/worth the extra money?
D4F

Posted Sat Feb 15, 2014, 6:12pm

Yes, you need very fine steps/micro steps, or stepless, to stay dialed in and not too coarse or too fine.  The very reason many "espresso able" grinders are not.  They can get fine enough to choke the machine, but the steps are too far between to stay dialed in.

D4F also at
showing page 1 of 4 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Newbie: Grinder...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.231001853943)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+