Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Baratza Virtuoso troubleshooting
Great Espresso at Home
Curated selection of the best machines from La Spaziale, Izzo, Quick Mill, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Baratza Virtuoso...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
stravinsky

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Fri Feb 14, 2014, 7:08am
Subject: Baratza Virtuoso troubleshooting

Good morning! I recently purchased a used Virtuoso, and the hopper does not stay in place while grinding.  This is not an issue when the hopper is empty, but when beans are added and the machine is turned on the hopper jumps all the way to the left - the finest setting.  I was hoping someone could provide me some direction as to why this is happening...

Thanks a lot!!
 View Profile Link to this post
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Fri Feb 14, 2014, 10:01am
Subject: Re: Baratza Virtuoso troubleshooting

Hi and welcome to the board, someone who has one of these grinders will be along shortly to help you. Other than looking at one at a coffee shop one time, I do not have any hands on with that grinder. Many others can be of much more help with that grinder.  I just wanted to say hi and that your thread is seen!

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
CoffeeRon

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Wega Lyra, Europiccola(still...
Grinder: Macap M7D, Pharos, Vario W,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam CoffeeMaster
Drip: Melita BCM-4
Roaster: FR SR500,B-1600, SC/TO
Posted Fri Feb 14, 2014, 4:19pm

It's likely your upper burr carrier is broken- don't panic, they're VERY inexpensive. The upper burr carrier would be the link between the spinning lower burr and the hopper/adjustment ring (large black piece with large female threads inside that the hopper sits on).

The upper burr carrier stays (is supposed to) stationary except for moving up and down when the hopper/adj. ring is turned. It is the first thing to break if grind adjustments are made without running the grinder. It has three small tabs that ride in the female threads of the black adj. ring. it should not be able to turn but if badly broken it would, taking the rest with it.

Take the hopper off, turn all the way course and lift it off, then you should find a small rubber cone thingy- pull that off, the upper burr carrier should then lift out with the upper burr.

Go to the Baratza website-
http://www.baratza.com/
Go to parts and compare it to the picture. It should have three small tabs sticking out the sides. On reassembly the red dot should be forward and just to the right (looking at the front of the grinder).

If you need a new one I would order two, they can last for years if you keep the grinder clean and adjust the grind only while running if it has beans in, but one quick mishap and it's all over. And they're only $4.

Hope this helps. This is the most likely problem. I'll keep an eye on this thread if you have any further questions.

Ron
stravinsky

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Fri Feb 14, 2014, 6:16pm

Thanks for the help! I spoke with Pierce at Baratza today, and he helped me troubleshoot this... you are correct Ron, it's the burr holder. I'll take your advice and grab a spare, too. Another question - would you recommend upgrading to the Preciso burrs, and if so, is the replacement a fairly easy task?

Thanks a lot!
CoffeeRon

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Wega Lyra, Europiccola(still...
Grinder: Macap M7D, Pharos, Vario W,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam CoffeeMaster
Drip: Melita BCM-4
Roaster: FR SR500,B-1600, SC/TO
Posted Fri Feb 14, 2014, 6:46pm

Glad you figured it out. Interesting question about the upgrade. I actually have one of each, my original from way back when, and one I picked up last summer on ebay- wasn't working right- the guy did the upgrade and messed up a bit. I picked it up at a price I couldn't pass up, tore it down and fixed it for IIRC $10 parts.

Easy is a relative term :P   I'm a maintenance tech by trade and this was pretty simple stuff to me. To the guy I got it from not so much. If you go on their website and watch the video/read the instructions on the upgrade you should have a pretty good idea if it's something you'd be comfortable with. Adding up the right thickness of shims for upper and lower burs is important, one of the things messed up when I got it.

Is it worth it? I can say the new burrs are noticeably quicker and gearset quieter. I can't honestly say it makes much difference in taste for the drip I usually use it for, but I've never really done a side by side taste test either. Not sure what your brew method of choice is but maybe use it as is for a bit - see how you like it and go from there.

Enjoy the journey,
                 Ron

edit to add- I don't do french press but I have speculated that the new burrs produce a bit more fines than the old ones. If you do FP you may want to ask someone who would know better before doing an upgrade.
moosepucky
moosepucky
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Pasquini Livia 90 auto
Grinder: Super Jolly - Forte BG -...
Vac Pot: Cona - Santos
Drip: Bodum - Chemex - Hario -...
Roaster: Hottop KN-8828-B
Posted Sat Feb 15, 2014, 11:03am

Little late jumping in on this ......BUT.....

When you move the hopper (change the adjustment) do you hear and feel a clicking (click stop every fraction of a movement when you move the hopper... click, click, click, click, etc).

If you do not feel and hear any clicking when moving the hopper adjustment, then the issue is a missing spring and/or detent lock not the adjustment wheel.

Take the grinder apart and see if you are missing these two very inexpensive parts.  Also take care when removing the adjustment mech/wheel as the spring and detent can shoot out and easily become lost

Baratza online case removal document

When you have the grinder apart check to see if you have the GB-2.0 trans parts.  If not, grab a GB-2.0 rebuilding kit and do that at the same time.

Baratza Online document about the GB2.0 rebuild and how to tell if yours has the current trans parts in it

The metal burrs are probably just fine as you have to run a fair amount of coffee through to wear them down to the point they need replacing.  If you need to upgrade the gearbox that is the time to do the burr replacement as you will have the shaft with the conical burr attached out of the trans so it's easy at that time to remove/replace the conical drive shaft burr.

It is typically that the plastic internal parts go bad on these home grinders and for the most part they are readily available and inexpensive, not to mention that servicing one yourself is pretty simple
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Baratza Virtuoso...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.232617139816)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+