Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Mazzer Mini Mod- Dosing to Digital Scale
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Mazzer Mini Mod-...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
questionboy

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Andreja Premium
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Posted Sun Feb 9, 2014, 4:17pm
Subject: Mazzer Mini Mod- Dosing to Digital Scale

I finally found a few hours of shop time to make parts for a digital scale shelf, and paddle type lever to actuate the button switch on the front of the Mazzer Mini.  I'm pleased with how it works, it's tidy and accurate.  I push and hold the paddle, releasing when I see ~12.5 grams scroll by on the readout, and that gets me to 14g, usually within .1g, often spot on.  Then I place the portafilter upside down on the dixie cup and flip them back upright together and finish the smoothing and tamping routine.

Pros:  Clean, accurate dosing.

Cons: Extra step, must hold paddle switch and concentrate on readout for 12.5 seconds.  My wife is now convinced I've gone mad.

QB

questionboy: mazzer1.jpg
(Click for larger image)
 View Profile Link to this post
frankward
frankward
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: La Pavoni Professional Gold,...
Grinder: Mazzer Mini, OE Pharos
Drip: Hario, Chemex
Roaster: Hottop
Posted Sun Feb 9, 2014, 5:58pm
Subject: Re: Mazzer Mini Mod- Dosing to Digital Scale

That looks great. I've been weighing first and then putting the beans directly in the Mazzer Mini top minus the hopper. I place a tamper on top to hold the beans in as they grind.
moosepucky
moosepucky

Espresso: Pasquini Livia 90 auto
Grinder: Super Jolly - Forte BG -...
Vac Pot: Cona - Santos
Drip: Bodum - Chemex - Hario -...
Roaster: Hottop KN-8828-B
Posted Mon Feb 10, 2014, 8:14am

questionboy Said:

My wife is now convinced I've gone mad.

QB

Posted February 9, 2014 link

And it took this long for her to figure it out?!?!?!?!?!

I think we are all a few cards shy of a full deck when it comes to anything coffee related :)

OH....  That mod looks sweet......    BTW
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
emradguy
emradguy

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Mon Feb 10, 2014, 3:22pm

that is a cool mod.  I'm wondering if you can find something slightly shorter that can receive a basket, so you don't have to transfer the grounds again.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
Pazu

Espresso: Expobar Brewtus IV-R
Grinder: HG-ONE, FUJI ROYAL R220-DX,...
Vac Pot: KONO SK-2A
Drip: TIAMO 01, HARIO 02, TIAMO...
Posted Fri Feb 21, 2014, 12:35am

nice one :)
That will be more visible than just relying on the timer
frankward
frankward

Posted Fri Feb 21, 2014, 6:24am

I was wondering why you can't dose directly into your basket. Is it possible to remove your basket from the portafilter and rest it on top of your paper cup, or a more stable cup, and release the grinds directly into that? On my Mini, I need the basket very close to the grind outlet because the manual doser tends to spray the grinds around a bit. Your Mini seems to have a different coffee outlet. Is it doserless or is it a different model?
emradguy
emradguy

Posted Fri Feb 21, 2014, 8:24am

frankward Said:

I was wondering why you can't dose directly into your basket. Is it possible to remove your basket from the portafilter and rest it on top of your paper cup, or a more stable cup, and release the grinds directly into that? On my Mini, I need the basket very close to the grind outlet because the manual doser tends to spray the grinds around a bit. Your Mini seems to have a different coffee outlet. Is it doserless or is it a different model?

Posted February 21, 2014 link

I asked the same question about going directly into the PF basket, but no reply.

It looks like his doser is the one that comes with the "E" versions, though I don't see the electronic control on his unit.

From what you said, it sounds like you have the standard doser.  You should look into making a Schectermatic Schnozzola.  It really controls the stray grind mess well.  I got a Major a couple of weeks ago and just made a Schnozzola out of a thin brass sheet (rather than paper).  It still requires finding the paper template pdf (a very easy task via google - just click on the Home-Barista link that you get at the top of your hit list). I could send you the info to make a brass one if you'd like - just pm me.

questionboy

Espresso: Andreja Premium
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Posted Fri Feb 21, 2014, 11:26am

It never occurred to me to try dosing directly into the basket because the basket isn't easy to remove and install in my PF (e61).  If I want to remove the basket I usually grab a butter knife to pry it up a bit before pulling it out.   I also think it might be more tedious to carefully push the basket full of fresh grounds into the hot PF without spilling or burning a fingertip.  It would be easier to remove and insert the basket if I removed the spring ring from the PF, but then the basket would fall out while dumping old grounds...

Transferring the grounds with the Dixie cup takes about 2 seconds, 4 if I'm moving slowly.  The rim of the Dixie cup fits closely inside the bottom of the basket, and there is no spillage when I do the flip that dumps the grounds from the cup to the PF.

With a Dixie cup:  Grind into cup, grab cup with grounds in right hand, PF in left hand, turn PF  upside down on top of cup, then flip both together, remove cup and return to scale.  Begin tamping routine.

With basket:  Remove basket to place under chute, grind into basket, place basket into PF.  Begin tamping routine.

I just don't see a benefit of dosing directly into the basket.  Whether you put a Dixie cup or a basket under the chute, you still have to move either the cup or the basket to the PF.  The basket is often hot, wet from washing, or dirty with coffee residue.  The Dixie cup is always clean and dry.   I would rather handle the Dixie cup.  

Overthinking the routine has given me another idea.  I should draw up a holder for the PF that will sit on the scale, and a different shelf that will position the PF basket at the correct height to avoid spillage as the grounds exit the chute.

The grinder in the picture is a Mazzer Mini Doserless.
frankward
frankward

Posted Fri Feb 21, 2014, 1:28pm

First, many thanks to Emradguy for the link to the Schectermatic Schnozzola. It is an invention that quickly led to a smile on my face and coffee directly into my portafilter. Before going off-topic, I'll return to message by saying that I used a "Dixie cup" (not necessarily that brand) to create a perfectly functional chute (Schectermatic Schnozzola) from my Mazzer Mini doser to portafilter basket, with a scale thrown in for good measure.

To clarify my earlier suggestion to Questionboy, I have removed the spring from my portafilter inner rim. I do not have an E61 group, I am using a La Pavoni Lever. For that machine, maintaining a cool portafilter is recommended as the group head overheats easily. It is quite simple to dose directly into my basket by holding it up to the (cut) Dixie cup chute that is (as of today) attached to the doser. An added bonus is that my scale (not as nice as yours) sits under the chute and holds my basket at the perfect height.

The Dixie cup is temporary. I'm going to try emradguy's brass solution when the cup falls off. It is taped on. There is a screw around the doser's front rim that could easily anchor a metal Schectermatic Schnozzola.

frankward: Mazzer0832.jpg
(Click for larger image)
emradguy
emradguy

Posted Fri Feb 21, 2014, 2:00pm

questionboy Said:

It never occurred to me to try dosing directly into the basket because the basket isn't easy to remove and install in my PF (e61).  If I want to remove the basket I usually grab a butter knife to pry it up a bit before pulling it out.   I also think it might be more tedious to carefully push the basket full of fresh grounds into the hot PF without spilling or burning a fingertip.  It would be easier to remove and insert the basket if I removed the spring ring from the PF, but then the basket would fall out while dumping old grounds...

Posted February 21, 2014 link

I've read about people loosening the spring with a pair of pliers, so that it holds the basket, yet lets it come out without having to pry it loose with another tool.

Frank, you're quite welcome.  If you want my pdf on making the brass one let me know.

view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Mazzer Mini Mod-...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.304732084274)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+