Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Storing beans in a hopper not a good idea?
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Storing beans in...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
Author Messages
nkbsbl

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Elektra Semiautomatica SX
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Posted Tue Jan 28, 2014, 2:18pm
Subject: Storing beans in a hopper not a good idea?

I have a Baratza Vario - I generally fill the hopper with "fresh" beans (purchased). That usually buys me almost a week before I have to refill it. My concern is that I wouldn't consider the hopper to be sealed tight - the lid more or less loosely fits on, and there's obviously the hole underneath it (through the burrs) where the grinds come out open to the air. From what I've seen in videos and nice coffee shops, their hoppers are usually full - so I'm assuming it's ok to do this. Was just wondering if people noticed that beans get stale quicker when sitting in a hopper for 3-5 days or longer.
 View Profile Link to this post
Burner0000

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia, VFA Expres...
Grinder: Macap MX/VFA N1464/Kyocera...
Drip: Manual Drip, French Press
Roaster: Behmor 1600 / Sonofresco
Posted Tue Jan 28, 2014, 2:47pm
Subject: Re: Storing beans in a hopper not a good idea?

nkbsbl Said:

I have a Baratza Vario - I generally fill the hopper with "fresh" beans (purchased). That usually buys me almost a week before I have to refill it. My concern is that I wouldn't consider the hopper to be sealed tight - the lid more or less loosely fits on, and there's obviously the hole underneath it (through the burrs) where the grinds come out open to the air. From what I've seen in videos and nice coffee shops, their hoppers are usually full - so I'm assuming it's ok to do this. Was just wondering if people noticed that beans get stale quicker when sitting in a hopper for 3-5 days or longer.

Posted January 28, 2014 link

Most shops empty them out at the end of the day into a coffee bag or something to preserve the beans.  I usually don;t fill mine up to last longer than 3-5 days.  Usually by then the beans are about to go stale even only after been roasted a week or two ago.  If your gonna use the Vario hopper I'd only fill for a few days.  Preserve the rest of the coffee somewhere where they aren't exposed to air and UV.
 View Profile Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Wed Jan 29, 2014, 2:18pm

A week in the hopper isn't a big deal if fresh to start with.
I buy 5pounds at a time then break into about one pound lots and freeze until needed. I put about 5 to 7 days worth into the hopper when I fill it.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
moosepucky
moosepucky

Espresso: Pasquini Livia 90 auto
Grinder: Super Jolly - Forte BG -...
Vac Pot: Cona - Santos
Drip: Bodum - Chemex - Hario -...
Roaster: Hottop KN-8828-B
Posted Wed Jan 29, 2014, 3:54pm

I'm all over the place when it comes to beans in the hopper.

sometimes I will dump a half pound that I want to use continuously into one of the grinder hoppers so that it is always readily available as a quick choice/option.

Recently I have been keeping all of the hoppers empty and putting in and grinding only what I will use to brew, keeping the hoppers empty so that I have a larger choice of the roasted beans that I can grind and brew.

There is no "bean law" when it comes to what or how much you load into your hoppers.

What ever works for you (as long as they stay fresh and you can use up what you have in the hopper before they start to lose flavor) you should be fine.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
4cups
4cups

Espresso: La Spaziale Vivildi S1
Grinder: La Cimbali Jr. , Virtuoso
Vac Pot: Hario DECO, Bodum press
Drip: Gevalia
Posted Wed Jan 29, 2014, 6:12pm

No hopper for me, air tight jar. Grind as needed.
CoffeeNark

Posted Wed Jan 29, 2014, 6:17pm

I weigh the whole beans, and put only that amount in the hopper.  I think my beans stay fresher in an airtight canister plus I can more easily use different beans day-to-day.
gbastiani1952
gbastiani1952

Espresso: QM Andreja Premium
Grinder: Cimbali Junior
Drip: Crusinart
Posted Wed Jan 29, 2014, 6:28pm

I grind only what I going to drink at the time, the rest stay in an air tight container inside a cabinet. When I place an order I usually get 2 to 3 pounds which last about a month, the first pound goes into the container and rest into the freezer.

Gery Bastiani
Donovan

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: VBM Domobar Junior HX,...
Grinder: Lelit PL53, Hario Slim
Posted Thu Jan 30, 2014, 4:48am

For those who grind as needed aka single-dosing, I assume you guys store your beans in a airtight container. Let's say you pull 2-3 shots per day and you open and close that container for the same number of times. Each time you open it, fresh oxygen is gonna be introduced into your beans. Has anyone think about this or am I overreacting?
Don't get me wrong but I use to do this myself when I first started out. Nowadays I just pour the whole bag(250gm) into my hopper and grind into a plastic cup. I don't clean out the chute and just leave it clogged to form a seal. I also cover my hopper with a cloth.
I dunno if this is the best way but I'm interested to learn other methods.
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Thu Jan 30, 2014, 6:29am

Donovan Said:

For those who grind as needed aka single-dosing, I assume you guys store your beans in a airtight container. Let's say you pull 2-3 shots per day and you open and close that container for the same number of times. Each time you open it, fresh oxygen is gonna be introduced into your beans. Has anyone think about this or am I overreacting?
Don't get me wrong but I use to do this myself when I first started out. Nowadays I just pour the whole bag(250gm) into my hopper and grind into a plastic cup. I don't clean out the chute and just leave it clogged to form a seal. I also cover my hopper with a cloth.

Posted January 30, 2014 link

I use a zip lock bag and ball caning jars. So their frozen in batches. And when I'm using a jar, I weigh out the beans, then squeeze the air out of the zip bag tightly and zip it and back in the jar it goes. Been doing that for about two years and works great and prolongs the life. As its just wife and I making two drinks in the morning and when I would leave batches of beans in the hopper I noticed they would go stale quicker and have to adjust grind settings more. Plus the Baratza grinders work so well for single dosing as they don't have the retention or large grind paths of commercial grinders. Weighed 16.3g today, and got 16.3g and 16.2g.
peterkub
peterkub

Espresso: Gaggia Espresso
Grinder: Compak K3 Touch
Posted Thu Jan 30, 2014, 7:06am

Donovan Said:

Posted January 30, 2014 link

I do single-dose... The thing is I keep beans in a jar in a cupboard and only as much beans as I need for 2 to 3 days. The rest of my beans is split into ziplocks in similar doses so when I run out of beans in a jar I dump whole contents of ziplock in and close it tightly to thaw without inducing much moisture.

A note: if you leave it all in a grinder this clog could pull quite a bit of moisture but I'm not sure it's an effective seal. The cloth you put over the hopper would only cut the amount of light the beans are exposed too, won't help with moisture...

Just my $0.02

Peter
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Storing beans in...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.290305137634)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+