Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Copper or brass grinder?
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Copper or brass...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
Jen_Savage

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Thu Jan 23, 2014, 3:54pm
Subject: Re: Copper or brass grinder?

I just have a hard time taking your advice seriously when you tell me that the grinder I know and love is not very good.
 View Profile Link to this post
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Thu Jan 23, 2014, 4:00pm

Jen_Savage Said:

I just have a hard time taking your advice seriously when you tell me that the grinder I know and love is not very good.

Posted January 23, 2014 link

For espresso, yes it's not good. I think it's a good coarse grinder and looks cool. Others will tell you the same thing I am, just being honest. There is one other regular poster that has a Proline but forgetting who it is, he'll say the same thing. Loving it is fine, heck people love their Capreso Infinities, their Bodums, their Breville Smart Grinders etc and think their pulling espresso with them... see what I'm saying? You can mod it to be step-less though which will help dialing in, but the burr set from the factory isn't good for fines control or grind consistency, making it step-less will help though.

Just trying to help, you want a grinder that doesn't really exist, save for the Elektra which is the old Anfim grinder that I don't think is made anymore. And everyone and their mother will tell you the Rocky is not good and out of date on here as well, or HB. HG-One is awesome, but their not going to make it in copper or brass.
boar_d_laze

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: La Cimbali M21 DT/1 Junior...
Grinder: Ceado E92; "Bunnzilla"
Vac Pot: Royal Coffee Maker
Drip: Chemex + Kone; Espro Press
Roaster: USRC Sample Roaster
Posted Thu Jan 23, 2014, 9:08pm

Eureka makes a couple of other brass/copper grinders.  They're commercial quality, commercial size, and very expensive -- probably a great deal more than Jen wants to spend.  

I found a few North American sources for La Pavoni's brass Tre Spade:  Here's one, here's another, and it's also available on Amazon.  I'm not personally familiar with the grinder, but it uses a tre-spade burr set -- which is a good thing in its price range; but on the other, it only has nine settings.  So, I can't recommend it.   I'm also not familiar with the retailers, so don't take the links as recommendation or vouching one way or the other.    

La Pavoni seems to think of their "Jolly" as the companion grinder to their little levers.  I know zip about them.  Here's a link to a North American retailer who sells the dosered version with a brass body.  

I'm sympathetic to both sides of the discussion.  CMIN is right that grinder quality limits the quality of the espresso, and that the grinders Jen references are quite limiting.  Jen is right that its her aesthetic which counts.

Coffee Geek discussions are almost always "best performance for the price," but not in this case.

BDL
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
dwRK

Posted Thu Jan 23, 2014, 10:32pm

other than the few brass and copper color grinders already mentioned...another possibility is to dress it up using reflective plastic foil, brass foil or as a home diy beat metal project like this...here

to put these on the rocky is easy because it is mostly flat panels.

for a matching pair...chrome would be easier as there are more chrome grinders around.

the tre-spade grinders mentioned will run loud...
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Sun Jan 26, 2014, 7:24pm

Jen_Savage Said:

Posted January 23, 2014 link

Jen, the Rocky does not suck, but it's not a very good grinder . . . not today when other grinders have surpassed the quality of the Rocky for the same or less money.  Honest.

Look at it this way:  there was a time when (for example) the 1960 VW Beetle was THE best car out there for the money in terms of basic transportation and what the college student could afford.  But is it still the best?  The Rocky is virtually unchanged from when it first introduced.  For that matter, the Siliva isn't all that different, regardless of whatever version they are calling it now, from what it was when it was first introduced, and the Silvia, too, has replaced as the #1 (or #2) home machine.

Times change.  And no one here is looking to steer you wrong . . .

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
dwRK

Posted Sun Jan 26, 2014, 10:40pm

Jen, if you do come back to this thread...

1st line shows a gold Macap MC4...Click here...list price shows more than your $500 budget but this is a much better grinder than the rocky...you did say you will pay a grand for copper or gold...

The rocky does not come in gold or copper, so i would strike that off the list.

ps...the 9 settings for the trespade grinders probably refers to the 0-9 markings...pictures shows a worn drive so its stepless
zammie
zammie
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Caravel
Grinder: Porlex Mini
Drip: custom pour over, Viet drip
Posted Mon Jan 27, 2014, 9:26am

dwRK Said:

Jen, if you do come back to this thread...

1st line shows a gold Macap MC4...Click here...list price shows more than your $500 budget but this is a much better grinder than the rocky...you did say you will pay a grand for copper or gold...

The rocky does not come in gold or copper, so i would strike that off the list.

ps...the 9 settings for the trespade grinders probably refers to the 0-9 markings...pictures shows a worn drive so its stepless

Posted January 26, 2014 link

typo...that's WORM drive btw! :D

The Macap M4 looks best of the options mentioned so far! The EP in brass is a real looker, I can imagine it having pride of place where visitors can see it even when it is not being used.

Jen, how about the rest of your espresso setup? I.e. cups, tamper, coffee tin, etc. There may not be an obvious / immediate design connection between the EP and whichever grinder you may choose, but if you mentally lay out all the accessories beside the EP you might be able to visualize the grinder that will fit in the big picture :)

Personally I wouldn't mind the Pharos if it were my choice. You could put it away (which you can't do with an electric grinder) or leave it out with the brass EP as both are worthy pieces of functional art albeit different.
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Copper or brass...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.307487010956)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+