Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Help me choose a baratza
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Help me choose a...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 4 of 4 first page previous page
Author Messages
Whitcoatsyndrom
Whitcoatsyndrom
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Expobar Office Pulser
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Drip: Newco-OCS 12
Roaster: HG/BM
Posted Tue Jan 21, 2014, 11:51am
Subject: Re: Help me choose a baratza

boar_d_laze Said:

But the construction changes which morphed the Vario into the Forte are an implicit acknowledgement by Baratza that their older, less expensive designs lack durability.  

BDL

Posted January 21, 2014 link

I wouldn't argue with that train of thought, but I do feel that the Forte is appealing to a different buyer.  If durability was their sole reasoning behind the Forte I would think they would adjust the Vario's less durable parts without needing to double the price.  I love toys, and the Forte has some cool ones.  Regarding durability of the Vario, I really hope that treating the machine properly (meticulous cleaning/maintenance and aforementioned grind adjustment procedure) will prolong the life.  

At the end of the day my advice to someone thinking about the Vario is to proceed only if you can do the maintenance due-diligence.  Take good care of it and it will be good to you in return.
 View Profile Link to this post
boar_d_laze

Espresso: La Cimbali M21 DT/1 Junior...
Grinder: Ceado E92; "Bunnzilla"
Vac Pot: Royal Coffee Maker
Drip: Chemex + Kone; Espro Press
Roaster: USRC Sample Roaster
Posted Tue Jan 21, 2014, 1:01pm

Whitcoatsyndrom Said:

... If durability was their sole reasoning behind the Forte I would think they would adjust the Vario's less durable parts without needing to double the price...

Posted January 21, 2014 link

That's why I limited my comment to "construction."  The Forte and Vario have other differences as well.  

By way of contrast, take a look at the Super Jolly.  It grinds espresso at least as well as the Vario and Forte, is pretty much indestructible, and streets for around $700 -- half way between the Vario and Forte. Of course, it is more inconvenient to dial-in, doesn't dose nearly as well, is not nearly as versatile, nor is it as user-friendly as either Baratza.  But there you go.  Life is all about choices.  

Regarding durability of the Vario, I really hope that treating the machine properly (meticulous cleaning/maintenance and aforementioned grind adjustment procedure) will prolong the life.

It's not going to hurt, that's for sure.

... my advice is to proceed only if you can do the maintenance...  Take good care of it and it will be good to you in return.

Not adjusting the burrs tighter without running the motor is an important part of not screwing up any grinder.  

That aside, taking care of a Vario seems to be more a matter of staying within its limitations than maintenance.  It's asking a lot from a grinder made so lightly to go back and forth from brew to espresso and expect it to return to espresso settings so exactly that there's no slip at all and no new "dial in" is necessary.  

I know using it as an all purpose grinder works for some people, many of whom ascribe their success to their wholesome regimens; but -- in accordance with the conventional wisdom that "one size fits none" -- best practice seems to be to choose the use it either as "espresso" or "brew only" with the appropriate burr set.  

To be clear, nothing against the Vario or the Preciso.  They're each exceptional performers for their prices.

BDL
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
canuckcoffeeguy
canuckcoffeeguy
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Mypressi Twist v2
Grinder: Vario / Hario Slim
Vac Pot: I have a Dyson vacuum, but,...
Drip: Bialetti Brikka/Bodum...
Posted Tue Jan 21, 2014, 3:20pm

I've been using my Vario for espresso only. I've taken everyone's advice here and dedicated it for that purpose. I never touch the macro setting #2, and only adjust the micro slider while the grinder is running. I'm hoping this keeps me out of trouble --and so far, so good.

If I need to grind for presspot, moka pot etc., I use my Hario Slim. If I ever feel the need for speed, I'll get a dedicated electric grinder for my coarser needs.

I also single dose, since I don't make multiple drinks and not everyday. I sometimes get popcorning with the last bean or two, but it doesn't appear to adversely affect my shots.

Overall, I'm very happy with the Vario for its price. Although I wouldn't classify it as a tank, per se. But it's a sub $500 grinder that punches above its weight class.
CCG
MikePriz

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Tue Jan 21, 2014, 11:09pm

Just got my vario today. First impressions are very positive. But it probably wouldn't take much to impress me after coming from a hario, as this is my first electric grinder.

I can see myself going through tons of coffee to dial this in. So far I can pull a 2oz shot in about 28 seconds with it set to 3 on macro and about halfway on micro, but the shot's creama and taste are a bit subpar. I'm tamping quite hard - definitely over 30 lbs.
when I set it to 2 macro and also about halfway on the micro it chokes my gaggia. Will I get better results with a finer grind and minimal tamp?
Mad4Coffee

Posted Wed Jan 22, 2014, 7:40pm

I recently bought a Baratza Encore for use with my Solis SL-70; upgraded from a worn out maestro. The Encore is more consistent, and I can grind my favorite Paradise Classic beans as well as oily Starbucks Espresso beans. Setting for these 2 different beans is one tick different.
Setting I use is near 10, leaving more room for nicer machines, yet is perfect for my machine.

I wanted the Mazzer Mini, but for $300 more (used), I'm saving the cash for my next espresso machine.
showing page 4 of 4 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Help me choose a...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.241973161697)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+