Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Grinders - Espresso
Help me decide on a grinder...
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Help me decide...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
peterkub
peterkub
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Espresso
Grinder: Compak K3 Touch
Posted Fri Jan 17, 2014, 8:20am
Subject: Re: Help me decide on a grinder...

Yeah, didn't notice the error in quotation :p
 View Profile Link to this post
takeshi
takeshi
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Alex Duetto 3.0
Grinder: Super Jolly
Roaster: Amaya Roasting
Posted Fri Jan 17, 2014, 12:50pm

peterkub Said:

As you see all are within $300 range and I'd prefer to keep it like this ;) I know there are much better grinders to be had but it'd be at least twice the price.

Posted January 16, 2014 link

Even at full retail a Vario isn't $600.
Frost
Frost

Espresso: Isomac Venus
Grinder: Lelit PL53
Roaster: Poppery I w/variac, MET, BT
Posted Fri Jan 17, 2014, 3:59pm

I don't know how many have used or compared these Trespade grinders to others side by side. Just order the Lelit, easily dial it in, don't feed it any rocks and you are good to go. It will easily keep up with your Gaggia class machine. I certainly would not diss a great deal on a high quality used grinder either, but prefer this burr set over the higher speed flat burrs in this price class.  Very little if any daily adjustment is required, and produces a fluffy clump free grind. Someday I'll get one of the titan conical grinders, but until then I'm not inclined towards anything else.
Skylar

Espresso: lelit espresso
Grinder: lelit grinder
Vac Pot: B. D. Electric
Drip: chemex
Roaster: wok roast and popper, heat...
Posted Fri Jan 17, 2014, 4:23pm

+1

I am in the 4th year with the lelit. Obviously only used for espresso, my other grinder is for all else. No trouble with this grinder. It does what it needs to with easy adjustment. I have had 2 baratzas - low end ones. They break. I know they are fixable and cheap to do so but why bother? Never a problem with the pl53.

Sky
Bohun

Espresso: La Vibiemme Domobar Super
Grinder: La cimbali junior
Roaster: Boehmer 1600
Posted Mon Jan 20, 2014, 6:33pm

CIMBALI JR. GRINDER is awesome had it for last 6 years with no problems.
boar_d_laze

Espresso: La Cimbali M21 DT/1 Junior...
Grinder: Ceado E92; "Bunnzilla"
Vac Pot: Royal Coffee Maker
Drip: Chemex + Kone; Espro Press
Roaster: USRC Sample Roaster
Posted Mon Jan 20, 2014, 8:35pm

Bohun Said:

CIMBALI JR. GRINDER is awesome had it for last 6 years with no problems.

Posted January 20, 2014 link

More than twice OP's stated price limit, and a grinder which far exceeds the capabilities of his espresso machine, but wotthehell wotthehell we might as well talk about it.

64mm flat burrs, which turn at a relatively slow rate.  "In the cup" performance and taste signature comparable to a Mazzer SJ which has the same size burrs spinning at the same RPM.

Quite a bit better in those respects than dosered Minis or Macap M4s.  Priced between the SJ and the Mini... if you can find one.  La Cimbali's US distribution network for grinders has pretty much dried up. There are a few Canadian online retailers, though.  About 800CDN new.  

Good doser which sweeps very clean, but puts some English on the grinds.  

Grinds look exactly like grinds from an SJ.  I.e., fairly fluffy with visible but harmless clumping.    

The adjustment knob and stepless worm gear, make it an incredibly easy grinder to dial in precisely within the narrow espresso range.  Nothing better in that respect.  The burr carrier is quite robust, and settings don't wander.  

No timer.  You'll have to add an Auber or a Gralab.  

I've read posts of yours in which you talk about your Cimbali's ease of maintenance, but... But... BUT... Compared to what?

Compared to anything else I've used it's a huge PITA when it comes to ordinary maintenance. Whole beans get trapped between the deck and hopper, and whole and partially ground beans get caught in the throat's collar -- where they can and do go rancid, ruining the grind.  Consequently, the hopper must be removed frequently (once a week) and the deck and throat checked.  Unfortunately, the hopper is screwed to the deck, and must be nearly emptied (by scooping it out or turning the grinder over) in order to back out the screws and remove the hopper.  It gets seriously old.

I own a Jr. Max Hybrid (same body, better burrs), which I used for the past three years.  A good performer, but a nuisance I felt compelled to recently replace.      

My feeling about the Junior is that it's as good a grinder as the SJ in most respects, easier to dial-in, much less convenient, costs about $100 more, and has little if any US support.  Given that it requires so much to keep it from ruining your morning with a rancid cup, I don't see the rationale unless you're willing to put up with an awful lot of BS to get an SJ quality grinder that fits under standard cabinets.

BDL
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
sherpasteve

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Tue Jan 28, 2014, 1:37pm

I'd agree with Bohun on the Cimbali grinders.  I've had a Cadet (Junior) and currently have a Max (original).  I like them a lot.  The issue with beans getting stuck on the way to the burrs can be fixed in a few minutes with a mod that's described in various places.  All that's involved is cutting a small tube to fit in the throat above the burrs.  It will prevent beans from going anywhere but where they belong.  I used a top off a small can of Edge shaving cream which is exactly the right diameter for this project.  I trimmed it to create a tube of the correct length with three little notches along the bottom edge.  IIRC, those are for the bolts on the upper burr carrier.  Used my trusty Swiss army knife scissors.  Take off the hopper, drop it in place, and you still have time for coffee. Took about ten minutes including digging around in the medicine cabinet for a lid of the right diameter.  Also, parts can be ordered from various sources. I use Pasquini Imports in Los Angeles.
gbastiani1952
gbastiani1952

Espresso: QM Andreja Premium
Grinder: Cimbali Junior
Drip: Crusinart
Posted Wed Jan 29, 2014, 5:38pm

I have a Cimbali Junior now for 4 yrs and the only mod I've done to it was to use a pvc male adapter to fit into the throat above the burrs so the beans go straight into the burrs, haven't had any problems with it and clean it every 4 months. Still have the original burrs in it and I grind around 3 pounds a month, may look into getting a new set from Chris who I got the grinder from. But I've been trying to find a grinder that has the same size burrs as the Junior but is a stepless, doserless model since I just grind for a double shot at a time.

Gery Bastiani
Bohun

Espresso: La Vibiemme Domobar Super
Grinder: La cimbali junior
Roaster: Boehmer 1600
Posted Fri Feb 14, 2014, 11:39am

I will have to test pvc mod :)  I clean it every 6 months to ensure proper operation.
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Grinders -... > Help me decide...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.261395215988)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+